Looking for a Flash

Old July 4th 04, 08:48 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

Default Looking for a Flash

Hi,

I am looking for a flash for my Nikon F5. Anyone know of a good website
which reviews the different offerings for my camera?

Thanks

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca
Old July 4th 04, 09:21 PM
TP

"Justin F. Knotzke" wrote:

I am looking for a flash for my Nikon F5. Anyone know of a good website
which reviews the different offerings for my camera?

No one outside Nikon Japan knows more about Nikon Speedlights and
their abilities than Thom Hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/

I have lost touch with developments in Nikon Speedlights since
changing brand to Pentax. However, if I was buying a Nikon Speedlight
today I would find one that was also fully compatible with the latest
Nikon DSLRs. Not the SB-28DX but maybe the SB-80DX?

http://www.bythom.com/sb80dx.htm
http://www.bythom.com/sb80review.htm

Old July 4th 04, 09:35 PM
Alan Browne

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a flash for my Nikon F5. Anyone know of a good website
which reviews the different offerings for my camera?

Start at http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html in the accessory
section (bottom of page) Nikon flash section. Shows also
non-Nikon flashes. Not in review form, but GN (meters),
features, etc.

The F5 manual should give you both a list of speedlights that
work with it (at the time the manual was produced).

IIWY, I'd find an SB-28 (& DX), SB-80DX or Metz 54MZ-3. Verify
that whatever flash you get is compatible with the rear curtain
sync of the camera.

The DX flashes, as you know, are compatible with the digital
SLR's which may be in your future. Not sure about Metz
compatibility on the digital SLR's.

I know there is a used Nikon set Vivitar(?) ring flash at
Laplante for sale if that is of interest.

Cheers,
Alan

Old July 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Martin Francis

"Justin F. Knotzke" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for a flash for my Nikon F5. Anyone know of a good website
which reviews the different offerings for my camera?

Thanks

Latest Nikon top-end offering is SB-800... though as the Nikon F5 hasn't
been improved since the SB-28, the SB-800 would probably be overkill- some
of the improvements would be more relevant to a DSLR owner. IIRC the D70
will sync up to 1/500 with an SB-800. I have no idea of the differences
between the top end Speedlights- a Google search may be productive, or
something from www.nikonlinks.com perhaps.
The only viable off-brand alternative is probably a Metz. I happen to
rather like the 54 MZ-3, though of course the handle-mount guns are very
well thought of. The Metz site (http://www.metz.de) is the best guide to
their guns.

no, and yes...."

Old July 4th 04, 10:50 PM
Martin Francis

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
The DX flashes, as you know, are compatible with the digital
SLR's which may be in your future. Not sure about Metz
compatibility on the digital SLR's.

Current model (54MZ-4) has a different SCA to the MZ-3, which is compatible
with Nikon DSLRs.

no, and yes...."

Old July 4th 04, 11:01 PM
Alan Browne

Martin Francis wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

The DX flashes, as you know, are compatible with the digital
SLR's which may be in your future. Not sure about Metz
compatibility on the digital SLR's.

Current model (54MZ-4) has a different SCA to the MZ-3, which is compatible
with Nikon DSLRs.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old July 4th 04, 11:44 PM
William Graham

"Justin F. Knotzke" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking for a flash for my Nikon F5. Anyone know of a good website
which reviews the different offerings for my camera?

Thanks

The Nikon SB-28 was made especially for this camera.....They don't make it
anymore, but you can still pick them up on eBay for under $200.....

Old July 4th 04, 11:52 PM
Nick Zentena

Alan Browne wrote:

The DX flashes, as you know, are compatible with the digital
SLR's which may be in your future. Not sure about Metz
compatibility on the digital SLR's.

The Metz website includes a little guide to checking out how well a flash
will work with a camera.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...apter.143.html

Plus Metz is very good with answering email questions. No matter how
stupid my questions-)

Nick
Old July 5th 04, 06:37 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

quote who= Nick Zentena /:

Plus Metz is very good with answering email questions. No matter how
stupid my questions-)

Thanks to Alan and Nick and everyone else who answered my query. I have
enough information now to make a choice. I am not entirely sure I'll go after a
SB-80DX since a DSLR is quite far into my future. I just plunked down a chunk
of change for the F5, and I rather like film (although the $300 I just spent on
film might change that)..

I am bending towards the SB-26. I mostly would use the flash as fill. I
shoot a lot of bike races and when the sun in high noon, the helmets of the
riders shade their faces. Blasting a flash in there should fix that. I also
would like a flash that shoots as far as possible.

With my limited budget I have to decide between the flash or a E-6
development kit..

Thanks again,

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca
Old July 5th 04, 07:53 PM
Alan Browne

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

With my limited budget I have to decide between the flash or a E-6
development kit..

Hands down - flash!

You're not going to save enough money on E-6 dev to make a
difference. And if you have deadlines to beat that can't wait a
couple hours or Monday morning, then digital makes more sense.

(Please keep Montreal E-6 labs going!)

Cheers,
Alan