Good digital camera for low light conditions

Old December 18th 04, 03:55 PM
John McWilliams

JC Dill wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking for ideas on a digital camera suitable for flashless photography
in low light conditions such as concerts, horse shows, and forests.

For low-light horse show conditions, you need A) fast shutter
response, B) a relatively noise free high ISO, C) fast shutter speed
and D) fast glass.

I'm looking for compact, but I haven't seen any point 'n shoot or ZLR
cameras that are very good with low light.

You aren't going to find all of that in a low cost PnS or ZLR camera.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

(top posting fixed)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:08:29 -0800, fortknight
wrote:

You need Very Fast Lenses and really good sensors for low light
photography.

You will either need to invest several thousand dollars for lens and
body, or save a thousand and start with film and very fast lenses.

I'm using the 300 D and a 70-200 IS f2.8 to shoot horses, and it does
very well in low light, until I have to crank the ISO above 400 at
which point the images are pretty noisy. I'm itching to get a 20D as
I believe that the improved image quality at the higher ISOs will be
just the ticket.

I think you'll be very pleased with the 20D. At 1600 its noise level is
tolerable. I have yet to crank it up to 3200. Now, the lens you have is
one I am thinking about...

--
John McWilliams
Old December 18th 04, 05:25 PM