CP8700

Old March 9th 05, 05:15 PM
HIKER4LIFE

Default CP8700

Here's hoping this wasn't previously requested but,
I've orderedc the CP8700 as a point and shoot; to replace the CP5000 I have
been using.

Anyone offer opinions on what the major differences might be in learning to
use the 8700?

Thanks,
Hiker

Old March 9th 05, 05:24 PM
David J Taylor

HIKER4LIFE wrote:
Here's hoping this wasn't previously requested but,
I've orderedc the CP8700 as a point and shoot; to replace the CP5000
I have been using.

Anyone offer opinions on what the major differences might be in
learning to use the 8700?

Thanks,
Hiker

Holding the much longer lens stable!
Why didn't you go for the image stablised 8800?

David

Old March 10th 05, 01:46 AM
HIKER4LIFE

The matter of more money. Is it that much larger than the 5000?

Old March 10th 05, 03:19 AM
Frank ess

HIKER4LIFE wrote:
The matter of more money. Is it that much larger than the 5000?

This may not help:
You'll need to subtract the battery things to make the comparison. I
believe the CP5000 is taller and flatter, but of comparable weight. The
8700 and 5700 look very much alike, but the 8700 is actually a few
tenths of an inch larger in each dimension.

http://www.fototime.com/63CAA87C186AE8F/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/3155D5B76374835/orig.jpg

--
Frank ess

Old March 10th 05, 08:41 AM
David J Taylor

HIKER4LIFE wrote:

Holding the much longer lens stable!
Why didn't you go for the image stablised 8800?

David

The matter of more money. Is it that much larger than the 5000?

In which case, the Panasonic FZ20 (5MP) might have been a better choice -
as I said if you get a long zoom camera and intend to use the full zoom,
holding it steady is probably the first major difference you will face on
any except the brightest days. Hence my suggestion that image
stabilisation is highly desirable in such a camera, even it means dropping
from 8MP to 5MP.

David