Flickr broken

Old March 6th 21, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Flickr broken

In article , Paul Carmichael
says...

Hello. folks.

It seems Flickr is trying to abide by some cookie legislation and if you try to view it,
up pops a massive set of cookie options. Except there is no "accept and continue" option.
Or sometimes there is. On Android, there isn't. I just sent a flickr link to a few people
and none of them can view the photos because of this. Maybe it's only in Europe? On my
wife's iphone, I re-loaded it 3 or 4 times and eventually it worked.

Anybody know if it's going to be fixed?

No problem accessing Flickr here in Germany, using a Firefox
browser.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old March 6th 21, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Paul Carmichael
says...
It didn't ask you to agree to cookies from all its associates?

Hmmm... thinking again about it, I installed some time ago the
"I don't care about cookies" plugin for Firefox. Perhaps that
took care of the cookies request. In any case, I didn't see it.

Cookies are not an issue, because I've also installed a "Cookie
AutoDelete" plugin, which deletes all cookies when I close the
tabs of a website. Even if a website installs 10000 cookies, all
are deleted when I leave that website.

Old March 6th 21, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 3/6/2021 3:44 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Paul Carmichael
says...
It didn't ask you to agree to cookies from all its associates?

Hmmm... thinking again about it, I installed some time ago the
"I don't care about cookies" plugin for Firefox. Perhaps that
took care of the cookies request. In any case, I didn't see it.

Cookies are not an issue, because I've also installed a "Cookie
AutoDelete" plugin, which deletes all cookies when I close the
tabs of a website. Even if a website installs 10000 cookies, all
are deleted when I leave that website.

"Cookies" aren't what they used to be, e.g. information uniquely
relevant to the site you're visiting. Some browsers allow you to block
all cookies and therefore none will be saved to your computer anyway.

Today's "cookies" contain your machine info in standard formats that are
sold to services that can compare it with other activities associated
with your computer. So, "accept cookies" with miscellaneous options meet
legal requirements to notify you that you're being tracked. Even if you
are blocking all cookies, what you click on doesn't matter, you will be
tracked. That's one reason that you can continue to use a site with its
"cookies" being blocked.

Ways to disguise your machine information are sometimes available within
the browsers' privacy settings and/or with add-ons.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 7th 21, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Neil says...
"Cookies" aren't what they used to be, e.g. information uniquely
relevant to the site you're visiting. Some browsers allow you to block
all cookies and therefore none will be saved to your computer anyway.

Today's "cookies" contain your machine info in standard formats that are
sold to services that can compare it with other activities associated
with your computer. So, "accept cookies" with miscellaneous options meet
legal requirements to notify you that you're being tracked. Even if you
are blocking all cookies, what you click on doesn't matter, you will be
tracked. That's one reason that you can continue to use a site with its
"cookies" being blocked.

Ways to disguise your machine information are sometimes available within
the browsers' privacy settings and/or with add-ons.

But if the cookies have been deleted, how would they track you?

Old March 7th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

But if the cookies have been deleted, how would they track you?

many, many ways.

start with browser fingerprinting.

cookies are old school.
Old March 8th 21, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 3/7/2021 12:51 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Neil says...
"Cookies" aren't what they used to be, e.g. information uniquely
relevant to the site you're visiting. Some browsers allow you to block
all cookies and therefore none will be saved to your computer anyway.

Today's "cookies" contain your machine info in standard formats that are
sold to services that can compare it with other activities associated
with your computer. So, "accept cookies" with miscellaneous options meet
legal requirements to notify you that you're being tracked. Even if you
are blocking all cookies, what you click on doesn't matter, you will be
tracked. That's one reason that you can continue to use a site with its
"cookies" being blocked.

Ways to disguise your machine information are sometimes available within
the browsers' privacy settings and/or with add-ons.

But if the cookies have been deleted, how would they track you?

As I pointed out, above, the information being collected when you visit
a site aren't "cookies" in the original sense. There is no need to save
anything to your computer to collect your machine information and track
you, therefore there are no "cookies" to delete.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 9th 21, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Neil says...
As I pointed out, above, the information being collected when you visit
a site aren't "cookies" in the original sense. There is no need to save
anything to your computer to collect your machine information and track
you, therefore there are no "cookies" to delete.

Is there a plugin for Firefox which blocks this tracking or
(sort of) anonymises your PC?

Old March 9th 21, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Is there a plugin for Firefox which blocks this tracking or
(sort of) anonymises your PC?

no. plugin developers will always be one step behind tracking
technology.
Old March 9th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 3/8/2021 7:02 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Neil says...
As I pointed out, above, the information being collected when you visit
a site aren't "cookies" in the original sense. There is no need to save
anything to your computer to collect your machine information and track
you, therefore there are no "cookies" to delete.

Is there a plugin for Firefox which blocks this tracking or
(sort of) anonymises your PC?

There are some levels of protection in FF, but there's no easy solution
to the problem. You might want to look in Options Privacy & Security
to see what you've already addressed. But, even then you're only
addressing small parts of the issue.

My suggestion is that if you aren't doing anything nefarious on the
internet and only want to thumb your nose at those tracking you, forget
it. Otherwise, you'll need to become quite fluent in dark web techniques
and forget commercial browsers, etc.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 9th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

My suggestion is that if you aren't doing anything nefarious on the
internet and only want to thumb your nose at those tracking you, forget
it. Otherwise, you'll need to become quite fluent in dark web techniques
and forget commercial browsers, etc.

this is totally false.

there is *no* need to have any knowledge of 'dark web techniques', let
alone become quite fluent, as it's completely irrelevant, nor is there
any need to avoid commercial browsers.

some browsers, the very ones you say to forget, include anti-tracking
features, such as spoofing browser fingerprinting, cookie jars and ad
blocking.

there are browser extensions that will greatly limit tracking, which
require knowing how to install one and maybe tweaking its settings.

with slightly more effort, a *significant* reduction in tracking can be
obtained with upstream content blockers or more aggressive local ones,
which will work for more than just browsers.

however, it will never be 100%, nor does it need to be.

M13 on flickr... Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Digital Photography 0 April 13th 10 05:57 PM
My new portfolio on flickr... fotoquid Digital Photography 0 January 18th 08 06:40 PM
Anyone use flickr? Buy_Sell Digital SLR Cameras 19 November 17th 07 08:27 PM
Flickr ppp Digital Photography 6 May 23rd 06 09:34 AM
PBase and Flickr Minou Digital Photography 6 March 11th 05 07:01 PM