Theft

Old February 12th 21, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Theft

On 2021-02-10 18:46, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 11:33:41 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2021-02-08 17:35, Savageduck wrote:

San Francisco has a bad reputation for car robbery, usually from parked cars with valuables visible. The rule of thumb in SF is not to leave any valuables, hidden, or visible in a parked car.

SF is not unique for that... why you usually buy (negotiate in) the
privacy cover if you buy a hatchback.

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old February 13th 21, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2021-02-08 17:35, Savageduck wrote:

San Francisco has a bad reputation for car robbery, usually from parked cars with valuables visible. The rule of thumb in SF is not to leave any valuables, hidden, or visible in a parked car.

SF is not unique for that... why you usually buy (negotiate in) the
privacy cover if you buy a hatchback.

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics
http://loudspeaker-repair-service.re...le_example.JPG
and I bought them for the insurance company from a dealer in England.
They were several thousand dollars cheaper than anything locally.

Eric Stevens
Old February 13th 21, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 20:17:37 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2021-02-09 20:42, RichA wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 13:46:42 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
This is incredible:
https://petapixel.com/2021/02/07/pho...-robbed-while-
stuck-in-sf-traffic-lose-7000-in-camera-gear/

robbery in plain daylight on a busy street.

But even more amazing are those comments at the bottom of the
article (lots of people wishing the thieves had been shot).

They should have been shot.

You are one angry dude. Get help.

No they should not have been shot. That would be extrajudicial
punishment, vigilantism.

Give them a fair trial and then shoot them.

Eric Stevens
Old February 13th 21, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics

it doesn't matter what they were.
Old February 13th 21, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-08 17:35, Savageduck wrote:

San Francisco has a bad reputation for car robbery, usually from parked cars with valuables visible. The rule of thumb in SF is not to leave any valuables, hidden, or visible in a parked car.

SF is not unique for that... why you usually buy (negotiate in) the
privacy cover if you buy a hatchback.

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics
http://loudspeaker-repair-service.re...le_example.JPG
and I bought them for the insurance company from a dealer in England.
They were several thousand dollars cheaper than anything locally.

You could get equivalent (or better) sound quality with some $100
drivers and some well chosen material, properly prepped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEh0...echIngredients

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIy...echIngredients

(And other speaker builds from the same guy... and other things not
speaker from him as well ...).

Old February 14th 21, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:59:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics

it doesn't matter what they were.

I expect even you could not avoid hearing the difference (although I
don't expect you would admit it).

Eric Stevens
Old February 14th 21, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2021-02-08 17:35, Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Have you ever listended to Quad electrostatic speakers? Have you ever
listened to any electrostatic speakers?

Eric Stevens
Old February 14th 21, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-13 19:01, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:59:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics

it doesn't matter what they were.

I expect even you could not avoid hearing the difference (although I
don't expect you would admit it).

I doubt very much there is a qualitative difference worth the money.

BTW: hearing a difference between speakers is normal.

Hearing one is "better" than another is the domain of about 0.01 .. 0.1%
of humans, most of whom are also less than 30 years of age.

Old February 14th 21, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-08 17:35, Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Quad? Maybe.
Electrostatic? Sure - and they were reputedly very "good" since the
price was very "high".
And back when I had hearing good enough to discern pretty high
frequencies amongst the rest of the symphony.

But even then I wouldn't presume to say "That is better!". Only "That
is 'different'".

Old February 14th 21, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Years ago I had a pair of speakers stolen which the police later found
had been sold for $45 for the pair in a local pub. It cost the
insurance company $12,000 to replace them.

The insurance company paid about $800 to replace them because they know
you could never tell the difference in an ABx test.

They were Quad ESL63 electrostatics

it doesn't matter what they were.

I expect even you could not avoid hearing the difference

compared to what?

there would be an obvious difference between those overpriced behemoths
and these:
https://hackaday.com/2020/05/29/chea...-with-easy-ope
n-baffle-design/

on the other hand, there would *not* be an audible difference in a
proper objective double-blind test between what you have/had and other
top quality speakers that cost a fraction of the price.

you have consistently resisted such objective tests because you fear
finding out that you needlessly spent $12000.

(although I
don't expect you would admit it).

you certainly won't admit *not* hearing a difference. you won't even
engage in a test.

do you still think you can 'hear' ultrasonic frequencies and that they
somehow make a difference?