Comparison 50MP HHHR vs Photoshop Super Resolution

Old March 14th 21, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Comparison 50MP HHHR vs Photoshop Super Resolution

Photoshop ACR now allows to increase the resolution by a factor
of 4. You open a 20MP RAW file and get an 80 MP image.

I've compared it to the 50 MP handheld hires mode of the Olympus
E-M1 III (the camera takes sixteen 20MP images and merges them
in-camera into a 50MP image; no tripod is needed).

I took this image in 50 MP handheld hires mode, getting two RAW
files (a 50MP and a 20 MP one).
Here is the original image, resized to 1024x768:
https://myolympus.org/images/comp_hi.../P8220381_.jpg

Here is a comparison of two crops of the 50MP (handheld hires,
left side) and the 80MP (Photoshop Super Res, right side).

First crop (top part, the clock):
https://myolympus.org/images/comp_hires_acr/detail0.jpg

Second crop (bottom part, station entrance):
https://myolympus.org/images/comp_hires_acr/detail1.jpg

You can see that the 50MP handheld hires has real detail, while
the 80MP Photoshop Super Res has a lot of fake detail and noise.

For instance the net left and right of the clock and the brick
work in the first crop are rendered much better in the 50MP HHHR
image.
In the second crop the small text in the red boards is readable
in the 50MP image, while it's not in the 80MP image.

However there are moving people in the image, which result in
ghosting in the 50MP HHHR image. One option would be to upres
the 20MP image with Photoshop Super Res to 50MP and then mask
away these image areas with ghosting.

--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old March 14th 21, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article a218700b-f09b-4c84-b0f1-
, Magani says...

Be interesting to see an A/B comparison between this and Topaz Gigapixel AI.

Here is a comparison between Olympus pixel shift and Gigapixel
AI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogQXLIHFmTA&t=750s

And here Gigapixel AI looks a lot better than Photoshop Super
Resolution.

However also Gigapixel AI generates fake detail. I can't find
the link anymore, but I remember another comparison where if you
looked in image areas with random detail (for instance without
geometric patterns), you could see that Gigapixel AI was just
generating fake detail.

Old March 17th 21, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

They all generate fake detail. How can they not?

Well, they could identify the scene/subject and add the right
pattern from a library. But most likely these algorithms are not
that smart yet.

Then it's still fake because the camera didn't actually see it. Can't really
attribute any more reality to the scene than if it was generate artificially.

all photos are faked to some extent, some more than others.
Old March 23rd 21, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gray_wolf

On 14/03/2021 7:06 pm, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 08:29:18 UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

They all generate fake detail. How can they not? The image only contains as much detail as it does. There may be "hints" of greater detail but
even "A.I." can only extrapolate so much. It's like those ridiculous scenes on police shows where they "zoom in" on a crappy video image, then
say, "can you sharpen it up?" and voila, detail magically increases 10-fold.

I've been using "Pixbim ColorSurprise AI" to convert some old family B&W
photos to color and sometimes it's amazing at the apparent increase in detail.
Unbelievable at times!