December 1 on the California Central Coast

Old December 2nd 20, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default December 1 on the California Central Coast

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72ºF (22.2ºC). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Old December 2nd 20, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 01 Dec 2020 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy
72F (22.2C). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic
Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Love that view of Morro Rock at the end.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old December 2nd 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 2, 2020, Joe Makowiec wrote
(in 6.35.252):

On 01 Dec 2020 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy
72ºF (22.2ºC). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic
Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Love that view of Morro Rock at the end.

I guess that was why at that point I stopped the video recording, and shot this photo:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-36RfpZc/0/1ef0664a/O/DJI_0126e.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 20, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 03/12/2020 08:14, EllisMorgan wrote:
On 02/12/2020 19:35, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 2, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In article
.com,
says...

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72?F
(22.2?C). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2.
This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Very nice. I wish I could go there over Xmas. Instead it looks
like we'll be stuck here in the lockdown (Austria just closed
their border, so to go to Italy you'd have to drive over
Switzerland).

I believe that France just closed its border for those wanting to
visit alpine ski resorts.

This is a little further along in that flight following a sail boat as
he sails among the moored yachts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-d66fs66/0/e2490ab1/1920/MB%20Sail-E_mp4-1920.mp4

Interesting insight into sailing in Morro Bay. The variations of wind,
tide and motor(? can't see it) make progress erratic. Do you think
sailors mind being stalked by a drone?

On occasion I was fearful that the skill of the sailor may have been
inadequate to avoid doing substantial damage to an expensive vessel!

It appeared to me that at no time was the sailor aware that he was being
followed. I suspect he was too fearful of making a handling error of
major proportion!

Old December 3rd 20, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 3, 2020, EllisMorgan wrote
(in article ):

On 02/12/2020 19:35, Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 2, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In article
.com,
says...

It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72?F (22.2?C). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Very nice. I wish I could go there over Xmas. Instead it looks
like we'll be stuck here in the lockdown (Austria just closed
their border, so to go to Italy you'd have to drive over
Switzerland).

I believe that France just closed its border for those wanting to visit alpine ski resorts.

This is a little further along in that flight following a sail boat as he sails among the moored yachts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-d66fs66/0/e2490ab1/1920/MB%20Sail-E_mp4-1920.mp4

Interesting insight into sailing in Morro Bay. The variations of wind,
tide and motor(? can't see it) make progress erractic. Do you think
sailors mind breing stalked by a drone?

Morro Bay has quite an eclectic motor/sailing community, and working fishing harbor. The buoy moorings are a small representation of that variety. I am not sure if you were referring to “motor” with your “(? can’t see it)” aside, but in the marina to the South of where I was flying, and to the North along the Embarcadero you should find a few more motor powered vessels.

I shot the stills photo at about 95 ft AGL, after that most of my chase I was at 45-70 ft AGL with 35ft being my lowest altitude when I flew by 46 seconds. Even at that relatively low altitude my particular drone, unlike many others, is surprisingly quieter than many other drones. Add wind, and motion through water sounds, I doubt that the sailors were aware of my presence. If they were they showed no sign of annoyance.

I have been flying down at Morro Bay weekly since June, and I have yet to have a negative reaction to my aerial presence.

These screen shots from my flight record should give you an idea of where I was flying on December 1.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-9Brps52/0/b0e09b9f/O/IMG_3289.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-xHf5FRx/0/576532b4/O/IMG_3290.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-BZHPKdQ/0/d345fbc7/O/IMG_3291.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 3, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, 2 December 2020 at 04:40:54 UTC, Savageduck wrote:
It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72ºF (22.2ºC). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2. This is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Nice.

FYI and anyone else when I download it as a MPEG-4 it is still 640X360 Elemental H264 , 30 FPS , 26.9MB 1.40 Mbits/s
With firefox and same with safari .

Still impressive though. Now wondering about sound there was none . Was that an editing or filming choice as I wonder if the niose cancelling was excellent or you chose not to have sound.

It was simpler to post without sound, and being primarily a stills photographer, I have yet to expand my video editing, and production skills to even bother with audio, even though I am aware that the addition of audio would enhance the viewer’s experience.

As to the size, all I can say is I am sharing a full resolution link to a 3840x2160, 60 fps, 3.76 GB MP4, SmugMug file, intended for simple viewing in a browser, rather than a download.

Savageduck