Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

Old September 14th 20, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

On Sep 13, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 06:23:54 UTC-4, Paul Carmichael wrote:
On 13/09/2020 04:01, Savageduck wrote:
The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

You really like your cars over there. Every house has at least 3 cars.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Happens in countries where you can't cross them in a day.

On foot.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 13:05:38 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

...and the view through the smoke from the front of my house, out to the hills.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f8qQPZq/0/6d1cc515/4K/i-f8qQPZq-4K.jpg

Out of curiosity, how far away is that most distant hilltop?

--
croy
Old September 14th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 14, 2020, croy wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 13:05:38 -0700, wrote:

...and the view through the smoke from the front of my house, out to the hills.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f8qQPZq/0/6d1cc515/4K/i-f8qQPZq-4K.jpg

Out of curiosity, how far away is that most distant hilltop?

About 3/4 mile

Savageduck

Old September 14th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 14, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Sep 14, 2020, croy wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 13:05:38 -0700, wrote:

...and the view through the smoke from the front of my house, out to the hills.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f8qQPZq/0/6d1cc515/4K/i-f8qQPZq-4K.jpg

Out of curiosity, how far away is that most distant hilltop?

About 3/4 mile

I just checked one of my flight logs and it is about 3,800 feet from my back yard.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Ruf[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 14:22:23 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 14, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):
How far (in km or miles) is that from your home?

That is burning about 25 miles (20 Km) from my home.

Here is a Big Sur resident’s photo record of what is happening there. When conditions are good I regularly travel in that area. Now that is not possible due to closure of Highway 1 from San Luis Obispo County through to Carmel-by-the-Sea.

https://bigsurkate.blog/dolan-fire-photo-gallery/

Thanks for the link. I have visited McWay Falls and stayed at Ragged
Point several times while travel ling from SoCal to the Monterey
Historics overs the years.
Old September 15th 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 14, 2020, Ed Ruf wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Sep 14, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):
How far (in km or miles) is that from your home?

That is burning about 25 miles (20 Km) from my home.

Here is a Big Sur resident’s photo record of what is happening there. When conditions are good I regularly travel in that area. Now that is not possible due to closure of Highway 1 from San Luis Obispo County through to Carmel-by-the-Sea.

https://bigsurkate.blog/dolan-fire-photo-gallery/

Thanks for the link. I have visited McWay Falls and stayed at Ragged
Point several times while travel ling from SoCal to the Monterey
Historics overs the years.

Hwy 1 is closed from just North of Ragged Point. The Ragged Point Inn & Restaurant are still open for now. However, there have been put on notice that they might be subject to immediate evacuation.

The only way you are going to get McWay Falls shots this season, is if you are a firefighter, or a Big Sur resident who hasn’t evacuated.

The last Monterey Historic I got to was in 2010. There were a few I would have liked to see, but stuff intervened. maybe next year.

Savageduck

Old September 15th 20, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 15, 2020, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

On 14/09/2020 23:22, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 14, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote

How far (in km or miles) is that from your home?

That is burning about 25 miles (20 Km) from my home.

Erm...

OK! 40 Km.

I am not immune to the occasional phingrr phawlt.

Savageduck