Canon 30D + Lightroom question

Old April 1st 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scubabix

Default Canon 30D + Lightroom question

I was shooting an old cemetery last week and set my 30D to use the
Monochrome picture style. The preview on the camera showed the monochrome
image. When I imported it into Lightroom, the image initially came up
monochrome and then converted to color by itself. Is there something I
missed or can anyone explain it? Thanks

Rob

Old April 1st 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark²

Scubabix wrote:
I was shooting an old cemetery last week and set my 30D to use the
Monochrome picture style. The preview on the camera showed the
monochrome image. When I imported it into Lightroom, the image
initially came up monochrome and then converted to color by itself. Is
there something I missed or can anyone explain it? Thanks

Rob

If you shot in RAW, you'll have to apply as-shot settings (I believe) to see
it as Black & White. Having it set to Black & white should have no effect
on the RAW file... If you shot in jpeg using B&W, I believe you'd see what
you expect.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old April 1st 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , Mark²
wrote:

Scubabix wrote:
I was shooting an old cemetery last week and set my 30D to use the
Monochrome picture style. The preview on the camera showed the
monochrome image. When I imported it into Lightroom, the image
initially came up monochrome and then converted to color by itself. Is
there something I missed or can anyone explain it? Thanks

Rob

If you shot in RAW, you'll have to apply as-shot settings (I believe) to see
it as Black & White. Having it set to Black & white should have no effect
on the RAW file... If you shot in jpeg using B&W, I believe you'd see what
you expect.

It's always better (IMO) to shoot you B&W in color anyway - for two
reasons.

First off, you have more ability to adjust your B&W conversion later in
LR, Aperture, or PS than you have in-camera (so you can play with what
various B&W filters would have looked like, etc - and Alien Skin
Exposure does a pretty good job of simulating several differnt kinds of
IR film from a color image, too). There are LOTS of different ways to
convert a B&W, the least desireable of which (again, IMO) is to just
desaturate it to greyscale.

Secondly, you might just someday decide that you want that image in
color - so shoot it in color and convert it later.

I'm referring to if you are shooting .jpg, of course. As Mark³
explained, a raw file has all the raw data (hence the name) so you
always have it. It doesn't know B&W or color from beans - it's merely
a collection of very lightly processed sensor data. The converter
program (in this case, Lightroom for you) is what actually makes sense
of all that data.

The image that displays on your camera's screen is just a quickie .jpg
thumbnail generated by the camera based upon your settings, which is
why it showed up B&W and the imported file didn't - if you look at the
thumbnail of the file on your HD (if you haven't altered it), I'll bet
it shows B&W, too.

..

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old April 1st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark²

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Mark²
wrote:

Scubabix wrote:
[...]

Lightroom has AMAZING black & white adjustment features. Truly amazing, as
it gives you total control over "color" even after it shows only grey scale.
It keeps the color values intact while you play around with the equivalent
of red filters, green, etc...just as though they were on your lens at the
time.

If anyone lacks Lightroom, here's a great little video explaining how to get
the desired B&W effects in Photoshop:
http://www.dcmag.co.uk/Video_Mono_vi...okZSIBw.ht ml
-Mark²

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old April 2nd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scubabix

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Mark²
wrote:

Scubabix wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ken and Mark. I see what you mean about shooting in color than
adjusting for B&W in LR. I'm still learning with my 30D and was trying to
use the picture styles. I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time.
Rob