Fujifilm s5500 vs Olympus c770 vs Canon A95

Old November 8th 04, 02:05 AM
PretzelX

Default Fujifilm s5500 vs Olympus c770 vs Canon A95

Hi all,

Sounds like a strange comparison doesn't it! A couple of 4MP
ultra-Zooms versus a 5MP 3x zoom.

The reason I'm comparing these 3 is that, is that as much as I'd like an
ultra-zoom camera, I'm willing to sacrifice zoom for picture quality. I
would like to, apart from everyday pics (family, pets, scenery), would
like to be able take macro shots and low light shots.

If price wasn't an issue, I would have to say that I'm sold on the
Olympus c770 after having had a look at www.pbase.com/wayne_n (fantastic
gallery). By the way, is it really that much better to have AA NiMh's as
opposed to Li-Ion? Also it might be nice to be able to carry the camera
around with me easily - the s5500 definitely won't fit in a pocket,
however the c770 has the title of being the smallest ultra-zoom at the
moment. I'd also like good manual control, but would like to be able to
shoot good quality photos, just on the auto setting.

So my question to you is which would _you_ choose please?

~AUS$530
4MP
10x optical zoom
AA batteries
- Haven't seen too many photos that have showed off what the camera can do.

***Olympus c770***
~AUS$720
4MP
10x optical zoom
LiIon batteries
- Seen some outstanding galleries - eg. www.pbase.com/wayne_n

***Canon A95***
~AUS$510
5MP
3x optical zoom
AA batteries
- seen some good galleries and example pictures

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks.
PretzelX.
Old November 8th 04, 02:33 AM
Dave Cohen

Having never used any of the models mentioned I am uniquely qualified to
respond.
Kidding aside, if anything ever happened to my modest A40 I would be facing
a similar decision. I would seriously consider the A95 with the available
lens extender. Using the extender will probably compromise the quality
perhaps to below that of the other two and you won't get as much zoom.
However, in all the other shooting situations I would imagine you would be
ahead. You would probably be using the extender outdoors so limited aperture
will be less of a problem.
Dave Cohen

Old November 8th 04, 12:26 PM
Justin Thyme

"PretzelX" wrote in message

~AUS$530
4MP
10x optical zoom
AA batteries
- Haven't seen too many photos that have showed off what the camera can
do.

Suffers terribly from purple fringing, especially at 10x zoom. Heavy

***Olympus c770***
~AUS$720
4MP
10x optical zoom
LiIon batteries
- Seen some outstanding galleries - eg. www.pbase.com/wayne_n

This would be my pick, or it's little brother the C765. The lens in the
olympus is much better than the Fuji's. LiIon is a much better battery type
than AA NiMH. Lighter, high capacity, and no self discharging problems like
NiMH.

***Canon A95***
~AUS$510
5MP
3x optical zoom
AA batteries
- seen some good galleries and example pictures

Really, the difference between 4 & 5 MP is bugger all. If you see yourself
doing any wildlife or sports photography, you'll enjoy the 10x zoom much
more than 1 more megapixel.
Kodak DX6490 is also well worth considering.

Old November 8th 04, 05:49 PM
Aerticus

Hi PretzelX

You question is a great one. One that is asked frequently and one which has
no set answers.

For example, the only way to know aht is good for you is for some kind
benefactor to appear and say "Why PretzelX, here take all 3 and kepp the
best for yourself.. Infact keep 'em all!"

But in the real world that ain't gonna happen.

Links to the gallery - some really great shots there! Fantastic! But know
what? Not all show EXIF details (alarm bell rings) most that I looked at
are shot at ISO 64 equivalent (more alarm bells start going off)

Now why should alarm bells ring with such good shots?
Coz, if everything (or most images) is shot at ISO64 it is for a reason.
Not the least of which is that higher ISO settings in a digicam tend to be
noisier.

That being said the camera in question may be more or less noisy that the
others in your list However, take sample images with a pinch of salt and
look at the EXIF stuff. I'd like to see 100, 200 ISO equivalents there too

See - now another bit of confusion is added to the confusion of earlier
making it even more ... confusing?

Aerticus

"PretzelX" wrote in message
Hi all,

[...]

[...]

[...]