My X-T3 30fps Burst test

Old September 28th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default My X-T3 30fps Burst test

I tried out the X-T3 electronic shutter, 30fps burst with my local humming
birds. So here are a few SOOC unedited JPEGs, and a PDF showing the whole
burst sequence. This makes capturing these hummers in flight so much easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f531bwp4kai64ik/AABzywj8Hhrz4DNTG2aTFHSUa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy2iuvkmy9opmmt/ES-30-Burst-.pdf?dl=0

Savageduck

Old September 28th 18, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...

I tried out the X-T3 electronic shutter, 30fps burst with my local humming
birds. So here are a few SOOC unedited JPEGs, and a PDF showing the whole
burst sequence. This makes capturing these hummers in flight so much

easier.

Mine can do 60 fps, but in practice I've never used this feature. If you
use it too much, you end up with lots of image files which you have to
post-process.
--
Alfred Molon

Old September 28th 18, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 28, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...

I tried out the X-T3 electronic shutter, 30fps burst with my local humming
birds. So here are a few SOOC unedited JPEGs, and a PDF showing the whole
burst sequence. This makes capturing these hummers in flight so much easier.

Mine can do 60 fps, but in practice I've never used this feature. If you
use it too much, you end up with lots of image files which you have to
post-process.

Yup! With a tap on the shutter 57 frames for this experiment. All I can do is
trust the SOOC JPEGs and use those for review, and rating/culling. Only
import RAW files that are selected from the JPEG cull.

All of the JPEGs I posted are SOOC, unadjusted/edited, no Post work involved
other than rating, and exporting.

Savageduck

Old September 29th 18, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 29/09/2018 18:01, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 28 September 2018 15:02:57 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
I tried out the X-T3 electronic shutter, 30fps burst with my local humming
birds. So here are a few SOOC unedited JPEGs, and a PDF showing the whole
burst sequence. This makes capturing these hummers in flight so much easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f531bwp4kai64ik/AABzywj8Hhrz4DNTG2aTFHSUa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy2iuvkmy9opmmt/ES-30-Burst-.pdf?dl=0

Savageduck

This will be the transition point where full-resolution video will take over. Then, if still photography wants to remain relevant, they'll have to allow for even faster full-resolution fps speeds.
I'm still not sure how the two differ except that with stills, you can control the shutter speed.

Interesting to see that Duck wasn't freezing the wings, not sure whether
from choice or necessity. (Someone posted a lovely hovering or landing
finch shot over here in the UK in the last couple of days, where they
had completely frozen the wings, I think without flash).
Old September 29th 18, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 29, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Friday, 28 September 2018 15:02:57 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
I tried out the X-T3 electronic shutter, 30fps burst with my local humming
birds. So here are a few SOOC unedited JPEGs, and a PDF showing the whole
burst sequence. This makes capturing these hummers in flight so much easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f531bwp4kai64ik/AABzywj8Hhrz4DNTG2aTFHSUa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy2iuvkmy9opmmt/ES-30-Burst-.pdf?dl=0

Savageduck

This will be the transition point where full-resolution video will take over.
Then, if still photography wants to remain relevant, they'll have to allow
for even faster full-resolution fps speeds.
I'm still not sure how the two differ except that with stills, you can
control the shutter speed.

All of this electronic shutter burst shot capability is due to much more
powerful CPUs. As the CPUs become more powerful the potential to increase
capture rate from 30fps to 60fps is very possible, but I just can’t see
myself at a sporting event, or airshow where I might normally capture
300-1200 individual frames in several hours of shooting, capturing that many
frames in a matter of seconds rather than hours. memory cards are going to
fill quickly, far quicker than shooting video.

So while it is nice to have the capability, I question the practicality for a
photographer intent in shooting stills, and still capturing that decisive
moment.

You are going to have to differentiate between stills, and video when it
comes to presentation intent. Then consider whether, or not you are shooting
a massive burst to capture a moment in time, or to analyze a particular
movement sequence. Both concepts are useful, but the hunt for the frame of
the captured moment to edit in post for presentation has to be chosen from
that burst of 30-100, or more frames. A veritable needle in the haystack, and
then there is the possibility that you have captured nothing.

Savageduck

Old September 29th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 29, 2018, newshound wrote
(in articlewIWdnbmjauasKTLGnZ2dnUU78X_NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

Yup! Those were shot at 1/500, so it can be a matter of selecting the right
frame with the wings in a particular position. To absolutely freeze a
Hummingbird’s wings a faster shutter speed than 1/500 is needed, somewhere
between 1/1000, and 1/2000. I’ll try that later today.

In the meantime, here is another one from the 57 shot burst @ 1/500.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob8lp5hsjo7wcts/DSCF0036c1.JPG?dl=0

Savageduck

Old September 29th 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 10:28:46 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

You are going to have to differentiate between stills, and video when it
comes to presentation intent. Then consider whether, or not you are shooting
a massive burst to capture a moment in time, or to analyze a particular
movement sequence. Both concepts are useful, but the hunt for the frame of
the captured moment to edit in post for presentation has to be chosen from
that burst of 30-100, or more frames. A veritable needle in the haystack, and
then there is the possibility that you have captured nothing.

It should make it even more impressive that Eadweard Muybridge
(Muggeridge) took photographs in 1887 that showed that a galloping
horse does have all four hoofs off the ground at certain points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadweard_Muybridge

Burst photography is often utilized by athletic coaches to evaluate an
athlete's movements...a baseball pitcher's delivery, a quarterback's
passing style, a golfer's swing, or a sprinter's take-off from the
blocks.

Those photos of a punter you posted might be used to point out needs
for improvement.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 29th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 29, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

To all of the above I agree. For some there is going to be a need, and some
will undoubtably find, or already have a purpose for shooting 30-100 frame
bursts at such high frame rates. For me it is a novelty, and most of my
action shooting is going to be in the 4-11fps range, if and when I use the
burst mode at an event.

Savageduck

Old September 29th 18, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

In your photos of race cars and bicycle racers you can pan. That
doesn't work in football or baseball unless you are intending to
produce an image where one figure is sharp and the rest are not.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 29th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup!

The issue remains, regardless of event the result will be hundreds, or
thousands of frames to sort through, and rate/cull. The investment in time to
deal with the selection process is going to be brain numbing. Then there is
whatever you might care to do with actual processing.

As I said, for me this is going to be bit of a novelty, and only used
occasionally if I ever have that sort of need arise. Even then I have frame
rates in CL of 3.0fps-5.7fps, Mechanical shutter CH frame rates of 8.0fps &
11fps before going to electronic shutter rates of 20fps, and with a 1.25X
crop, 10fps, 20fps, or 30fps.

I expanded my experiment this morning, and shot a 72 frame burst @ 30fps with
the electronic shutter, but this time with the shutter speed at 1/2000 rather
than the 1/500 of the first batch. Still SOOC JPEGs with no post adjustment
other than the same synced crop applied to each of the selected 10 frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wi6a2bu0lsewmx2/AACNdkrcs7bzsuPdmLcy9SGla?dl=0

Savageduck