Sneezing fallow buck photo 'one-in-a-million shot'

Old September 28th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Sneezing fallow buck photo 'one-in-a-million shot'

On 28/09/2018 17:09, Whisky-dave wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45678690

Didn't strike me as particularly remarkable. But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?
Old September 28th 18, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45678690

Didn't strike me as particularly remarkable.

it's not. it just happened to go viral.

But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?

much more than that.
Old September 29th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 28/09/2018 17:46, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45678690

Didn't strike me as particularly remarkable.

it's not. it just happened to go viral.

But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?

much more than that.

I wonder how many, then. Good example of a Fermi problem. I'd guessed
(without googling) a billion smartphones with plenty of people not
taking many photos. Although I'll often take a couple of hundred photos
on a day's shooting it's probably not 1000 a month (although I could see
this going up as burst modes get better). Deliberately not counting
things like CCTV.
Old September 29th 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?

much more than that.

I wonder how many, then. Good example of a Fermi problem. I'd guessed
(without googling) a billion smartphones with plenty of people not
taking many photos. Although I'll often take a couple of hundred photos
on a day's shooting it's probably not 1000 a month (although I could see
this going up as burst modes get better). Deliberately not counting
things like CCTV.

you might not take very many, but others make up for it.

more than a billion photos are uploaded to google photos every day and
that's just one service:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/17/go...rs-on-android-
500m-on-google-photos/
The product now has over 500 million monthly active users that upload
1.2 billion photos onto the service every day.

additional photos are uploaded to facebook, instagram and numerous
others, and then there's all of the photos that are never uploaded
anywhere, or maybe sent to another person (e.g., texting) or deleted.

https://blog.forever.com/forever-blo...photos-were-ta
ken-last-year
2017 was an amazing year, and we took a lot of photos - about 7.5
trillion, in fact. To reach this number, we broke down the
information available to us and did some careful analysis. Photos
taken is defined as any picture snapped, including those that are
immediately deleted. That's why this number may seem high at first -
we often forget about every picture we take and only consider those
that we store and share.

7.5 trillion photos in one year is over 20 billion photos taken per day.

they estimate 8.8 billion photos in 2018, or 24 billion per day.
Old September 29th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 12:06:10 -0400, nospam

newshound wrote:

But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?

much more than that.

I wonder how many, then. Good example of a Fermi problem. I'd guessed
(without googling) a billion smartphones with plenty of people not
taking many photos. Although I'll often take a couple of hundred photos
on a day's shooting it's probably not 1000 a month (although I could see
this going up as burst modes get better). Deliberately not counting
things like CCTV.

you might not take very many, but others make up for it.

more than a billion photos are uploaded to google photos every day

And that includes about six good ones.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 29th 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

wrote:

more than a billion photos are uploaded to google photos every day

And that includes about six good ones.

Probably a lot more. And they never get noticed.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old September 29th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

newshound wrote:

But then, I guess there
might be a billion (still) photos taken every day?

much more than that.

I wonder how many, then. Good example of a Fermi problem. I'd guessed
(without googling) a billion smartphones with plenty of people not
taking many photos. Although I'll often take a couple of hundred photos
on a day's shooting it's probably not 1000 a month (although I could see
this going up as burst modes get better). Deliberately not counting
things like CCTV.

you might not take very many, but others make up for it.

more than a billion photos are uploaded to google photos every day

And that includes about six good ones.

Sorry, I didn't upload any, so it's only five good ones.

--
Ken Hart

Old September 29th 18, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 29/09/2018 17:06, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I'm not too unhappy to be only out by a factor of 20.

Particularly as the "upload to google photos" will almost all be from
people who have ticked the box, which is something I am very reluctant
to do. I've probably got a terabyte or so on my NAS and other external
drives, and I don't at the moment fancy paying the current commercial
rates for that (obviously it is going to come down).
Old September 29th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

7.5 trillion photos in one year is over 20 billion photos taken per day.

they estimate 8.8 billion photos in 2018, or 24 billion per day.

Thanks for that. I'm not too unhappy to be only out by a factor of 20.

Particularly as the "upload to google photos" will almost all be from
people who have ticked the box, which is something I am very reluctant
to do. I've probably got a terabyte or so on my NAS and other external
drives, and I don't at the moment fancy paying the current commercial
rates for that (obviously it is going to come down).

there is no monetary cost for google photos.

one thing online services offer that nases normally do not is being
able to access any photo from anywhere. you don't need to also have
copies on your phone and laptop. another is offsite backup.

it's possible to set up outside access to one's own nas, but making
sure it's secure is non-trivial, plus most apps aren't designed to link
to it anyway.