Panasonic first pic number

Old September 14th 14, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Burke

Default Panasonic first pic number

nospam wrote in
:

In article , Peter Burke
wrote:

For info, exif info on this model is a little light and does not
contain the shutter count.

what did you use to check the exif? not all exif readers show all
tags. the best is phil harvey's exif tool, which will show everything
that's there.

I used the info and Exif display within Irfanfiew. I have now downloaded
Phil's Exifview but it is showing the same info and no shutter count.

however, it appears that panasonic might not write the shutter count
tag, and going into service mode is required. you didn't say which
panasonic camera, but if the following doesn't work with yours then
you can probably find the correct buttons with a search:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/201...onic-g1-shutte
r- count/

It's a TZ25. The G1 procedure didn't work but I found a copy of the
service manual and thought I was onto winner but believe it or not there
are no advanced display modes in the manual. There is a Service Mode but
it only allows me access to the Error Code history display. I did try
following the entry procedure to access that display but without success.
It is a bit of a finger feat on that camera but I am pretty sure I did it
right, sadly without success.

Thanks for the tips and I will see what the seller says tomorrow.

--
Peter
Old September 15th 14, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Peter Burke" wrote in message
David Taylor wrote in
:

On 12/09/2014 22:45, ray carter wrote:
The first photo out of my G3 was P1000001.

First from my GX7 was: P1000001.JPG, and the same for my wife's.

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems clear that Panasonics are shipped with a zero pic count so I
will
be taking it up with the online supplier as a misdescribed item.

For information, the box was a little tatty and not factory sealed.
Certain
accessories, the CD and instructions remained in sealed packaging so
it
suggests to me that it was a shop demo model rather than a customer
return
although the pic count seems high even for that.

I don't recall any camera I've purchased coming in a "sealed" box,
including a Panasonic.

I will probably end up keeping the item as it is now a discontinued
model
and hard to get hold of but reviews place it as significantly better
than
its relpacement so it is worth keeping. It was also sold at a healthy
discount to the price at launch.

The seller will not be getting off lightly however for the
misdescription.

For info, exif info on this model is a little light and does not
contain
the shutter count.

Thanks again.

--
Peter

Old September 15th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 13/09/2014 01:54, Mort wrote:
Peter Burke wrote:
I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the
first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

While I am sure some test shots will be taken at the factory I'd expect
that last thing done would be to reset the camera to defaults and the pic
count to zero.

Have I been sold an ex demo shop model as new or am I being too
suspicious?

If you have a any Panasonic or other compact I'd be interested in your
memories of the first picture number.

Thanks,

Hi,

The first jpeg # on my new Canon S-120 is: 105-0754.

I have no idea what the numbers mean, other than the prefix is
apparently a folder,and the suffix is a picture in that folder. The
folders change every month, automatically.

It might be new to you but they start at 100-0001 when factory fresh.

I have wrapped the suffix counter on more than one camera. It gets
confusing when they name files with just one 4 digit numeric tag.

I am boggled by the number of people here who say they have accepted a
"new" camera from a vendor that has had the box factory seals broken and
doesn't start counting images up from 0001.

Martin Brown
Old September 15th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the
first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

The first jpeg # on my new Canon S-120 is: 105-0754.

I have no idea what the numbers mean, other than the prefix is
apparently a folder,and the suffix is a picture in that folder. The
folders change every month, automatically.

It might be new to you but they start at 100-0001 when factory fresh.

I have wrapped the suffix counter on more than one camera. It gets
confusing when they name files with just one 4 digit numeric tag.

I am boggled by the number of people here who say they have accepted a
"new" camera from a vendor that has had the box factory seals broken and
doesn't start counting images up from 0001.

the last camera i got started at 3, i think, which is consistent with a
test done at the factory. it's not 1 but close enough that it doesn't
matter.

however, 236, as in the original example, and certainly 105-0754 is a
sign of use. that's not a new camera.