Panasonic first pic number

Old September 12th 14, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Burke

Default Panasonic first pic number

I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

While I am sure some test shots will be taken at the factory I'd expect
that last thing done would be to reset the camera to defaults and the pic
count to zero.

Have I been sold an ex demo shop model as new or am I being too suspicious?

If you have a any Panasonic or other compact I'd be interested in your
memories of the first picture number.

Thanks,

--
Peter
Old September 12th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Burke
wrote:

I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

While I am sure some test shots will be taken at the factory I'd expect
that last thing done would be to reset the camera to defaults and the pic
count to zero.

Have I been sold an ex demo shop model as new or am I being too suspicious?

that's a bit high for routine q/a at the factory.

was the box sealed? was there any indication of having been opened at
all?

also keep in mind that the file name does not necessarily mean shutter
count. it can trivially be set to anything.

the proper way to find out the shutter count is by looking at the
shutter count tag in exif, which most cameras write.

Old September 13th 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Peter Burke wrote:
I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

While I am sure some test shots will be taken at the factory I'd expect
that last thing done would be to reset the camera to defaults and the pic
count to zero.

Have I been sold an ex demo shop model as new or am I being too suspicious?

If you have a any Panasonic or other compact I'd be interested in your
memories of the first picture number.

Thanks,

Hi,

The first jpeg # on my new Canon S-120 is: 105-0754.

I have no idea what the numbers mean, other than the prefix is
apparently a folder,and the suffix is a picture in that folder. The
folders change every month, automatically.

Mort Linder

---

Old September 13th 14, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 12/09/2014 22:45, ray carter wrote:
The first photo out of my G3 was P1000001.

First from my GX7 was: P1000001.JPG, and the same for my wife's.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 14th 14, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Burke

David Taylor wrote in news:lv0pfb
:

On 12/09/2014 22:45, ray carter wrote:
The first photo out of my G3 was P1000001.

First from my GX7 was: P1000001.JPG, and the same for my wife's.

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems clear that Panasonics are shipped with a zero pic count so I will
be taking it up with the online supplier as a misdescribed item.

For information, the box was a little tatty and not factory sealed. Certain
accessories, the CD and instructions remained in sealed packaging so it
suggests to me that it was a shop demo model rather than a customer return
although the pic count seems high even for that.

I will probably end up keeping the item as it is now a discontinued model
and hard to get hold of but reviews place it as significantly better than
its relpacement so it is worth keeping. It was also sold at a healthy
discount to the price at launch.

The seller will not be getting off lightly however for the misdescription.

For info, exif info on this model is a little light and does not contain
the shutter count.

Thanks again.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Peter Burke says...

I've just bought a 'new' Panasonic Lumix compact and the index of the first
pic I took was 236 (P1000236).

While I am sure some test shots will be taken at the factory I'd expect
that last thing done would be to reset the camera to defaults and the pic
count to zero.

Have I been sold an ex demo shop model as new or am I being too suspicious?

If you have a any Panasonic or other compact I'd be interested in your
memories of the first picture number.

Was the memory card you put first inside really empty or was there
perhaps a P*****235.jpg picture inside it? Sometimes cameras adjust the
internal counter according to the content on the memory card.

--
Alfred Molon

Old September 14th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter Burke

Alfred Molon wrote in
:

Was the memory card you put first inside really empty or was there
perhaps a P*****235.jpg picture inside it? Sometimes cameras adjust
the internal counter according to the content on the memory card.

No, it was a new card.

In common with quite a few manufacturers, Panasonic has the option to:

1. default Remember the picture index and apply it to the filename
irrespective of which memory card is fitted. This allows swapping of memory
cards at leisure but maintains picture sorting order by filename when the
pictures are combined in a folder on a PC.

2. Reset the picture number when the memory card is changed.

3. Reset the remembered picture index so it can all start from 1 again.

I don't think I'll be telling the seller that option 3 exists to safeguard
their future customers . . . .

--
Peter
Old September 14th 14, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Burke
wrote:

For info, exif info on this model is a little light and does not contain
the shutter count.

what did you use to check the exif? not all exif readers show all tags.
the best is phil harvey's exif tool, which will show everything that's
there.

however, it appears that panasonic might not write the shutter count
tag, and going into service mode is required. you didn't say which
panasonic camera, but if the following doesn't work with yours then you
can probably find the correct buttons with a search:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/201...ic-g1-shutter-
count/
Old September 14th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Peter Burke
wrote:

Was the memory card you put first inside really empty or was there
perhaps a P*****235.jpg picture inside it? Sometimes cameras adjust
the internal counter according to the content on the memory card.

No, it was a new card.

In common with quite a few manufacturers, Panasonic has the option to:

1. default Remember the picture index and apply it to the filename
irrespective of which memory card is fitted. This allows swapping of memory
cards at leisure but maintains picture sorting order by filename when the
pictures are combined in a folder on a PC.

note that someone could have taken one photo with a card that had a
higher number, which will update the file name counter from that point
forward, even if you use a new card.