Ping PeterN: Sensor dust

Old September 11th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ping PeterN: Sensor dust

I know you take your competition entries seriously, but you just seem
to ignore basic maintenance such as cleaning sensor dust. That is
something you really need to take care of as there is only so much you
can fix in post.
If you don't see the dust spots, particularly in color fields such as
sky, that doesn't mean that other folks can't see them. Since you are
happy using ACR, select the *Spot Removal* tool and check the
*Visualize Spots* check box, and bump the zoom up to 100%.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_897.jpg
If you inspect the sensor, those dust spots should be in the bottom
right corner, but I suspect your contamination is spread further than
that.

I have to ask, after all this time and experience you have with DSLRs,
do you ever clean your camera's sensor?
....or should I say, have you ever cleaned any DSLR sensor? If not you
really need to learn how to do it. Either that or pay for regular
cleaning by whoever works on your cameras. If they charge you for
sensor cleaning, trust, but verify. Shoot wide open at a good
monochrome color field target and check that the spots are gone.

If you want information on cleaning tools just ask.

Savageduck

Old September 12th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-11 22:19:21 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

BTW: These were on 500px today. You might not be the only one with
thoughts of that shot from Brooklyn:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m6y1ad6oob5kf07/AAAT9BnCwLVJ0oiXLb3VUDZba?dl=0

Savageduck

Old September 12th 14, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 11/09/2014 23:19, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I must admit that in all my time with DSLRs I have only ever needed to
clean the sensor once or twice, and that was achieved simply with a
small blower removing a speck of dust from the surface on the sensor,
using a very gentle puff.

Since sensor-shale auto-clean was introduced by Nikon, was that the
D60?, I have never needed to clean the sensor. I have yet to gain
enough experience with the micro-four-thirds camera, but I expect the
same to apply.

Obvously I don't shoot in such dusty environments as Peter, and perhaps
using the 10:1 zoom as my normal lens I need to change lenses rather
less often (although a wide-angle lens is sometimes on both the DSLR and
the CSC cameras).
--
Cheers,
David
Old September 12th 14, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-12 08:27:53 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

Yup! A bulb blower such as a Giottos Rocket (never use canned air
sprays)will usually get rid off loose dust. However, the shape and
persistence of the dust spots after using the blower will mean wet
cleaning is unavoidable.

Since sensor-shale auto-clean was introduced by Nikon, was that the
D60?, I have never needed to clean the sensor. I have yet to gain
enough experience with the micro-four-thirds camera, but I expect the
same to apply.

Agreed, my D70 was a dust magnet and I got my cleaning techniques down
with that camera. With my D300/D300S I hardly ever see dust. However,
even with that I have to use a blower a few times a year, and
occasionally I have to resort to resort to wet cleaning,

Obvously I don't shoot in such dusty environments as Peter, and perhaps
using the 10:1 zoom as my normal lens I need to change lenses rather
less often (although a wide-angle lens is sometimes on both the DSLR
and the CSC cameras).

There is nothing wrong with changing lenses frequently, but environment
is everything. Windy conditions with high humidity can very easily lead
to persistent, sticky dust which needs wet cleaning. If you are going
to change lenses in those conditions, it is best to find shelter, or
some way to protect the camera during the lens change. A change bag can
be helpful, something such as a pillow case serves well for that sort
of thing. The other thing to remember is, not all lenses are helpful
when it comes to solving the dust issue, somew zoom lenses can become a
bellows and pump that dust right into the lens chamber.

Savageduck

Old September 12th 14, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

On 2014-09-12 08:27:53 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

When I clean a sensor, it's usually a three-step cleaining process:

1. Rocket blower. If that doesn't get it clean, go to #2
2. Nylon brush. A blast of compressed air on the brush gives it a
static charge and it will lift most dust off of the sensor, If that
doesn't work, go to #3
3. Wet cleaning.

Sometimes I go directly to using a viscous cleaner like the DustAid
Platinum. I find it to be very effective.

Old September 12th 14, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-12 08:27:53 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

Yup! That is my sensor cleaning work flow. I don't move to the next
step unless the first has failed.

I also have a brush I use for cleaning the chamber. In particularly
dusty conditions I will use the blower around the lens-camera
interface, and then wipe with a soft cloth or PEC Pad before removing
the lens. That might be a bit too proactive for some, but it minmizes
the dust I see on my sensors.

Sometimes I go directly to using a viscous cleaner like the DustAid
Platinum. I find it to be very effective.

For some persistent spots I have found the Kinetronics Speckgrabber to
be useful.
http://kinetronics.com/store/speckgrabber_product.html

Old September 14th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 9/11/2014 6:19 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

\
Thanks. You are not wrong. I have a bad habit of not cleaning my sensor.
In fact the last time my sensor was cleaned was a few years ago, on my
D300, and PAS did it for me.

--
PeterN
Old September 14th 14, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-09-11 22:19:21 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

That is a popular spot. Here are two others from that area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/liberty%20sunset%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/liberty%20sunset%202.jpg

--
PeterN
Old September 14th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-13 23:30:09 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

It isn't just a matter of not cleaning the sensor, it is a matter of
being aware that the sensor needs cleaning. Checking for dust spots in
non-textured color field such as blue sky should be part of your
workflow. They can be removed in ACR, LR , or with the other PS tools,
but with good maintenance that is not always necessary.

You need to learn how to do it yourself. With the D800 and with sensor
cleaning turned on at power up you shouldn't be seeing the dust that is
there. If you do that then, unless you are in the habit of changing
lenses in high wind without protecting the change, you shouldn't have
to deal with serious dust and wet cleaning much more than once or twice
a year.
The other precaution to take, is to wipe down the camera and lens
(particularly the lens/camera interface) with a soft cloth or PEC Pad
when you get home after an outdoor shoot. Using a brush or blower
around the lens/camera interface is the best way to handle that.

I recall saying something about dust in your D800 images some time ago.
It is something you need to get done ASAP.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-11 22:19:21 +0000, Savageduck
said:

[...]

Aagh! Another extreme TC + crop shot!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/liberty%20sunset%202.jpg

I hate to say this, but Lady Liberty deserves better.

Savageduck