I made lemonade this morning.

Old September 6th 14, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default I made lemonade this morning.

I wanted to catch the sunrise this morning. A moderate fog came in, so I
took fog images.
As usual all constructive comments are welcome

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/dumbo%20at%20dawn_6447.jpg

For the pixel peepers, The image ws not sharpened and all adjustments
were made in ACR & PS.

--
PeterN
Old September 6th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

I wanted to catch the sunrise this morning. A moderate fog came in, so
I took fog images.
As usual all constructive comments are welcome

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/dumbo%20at%20dawn_6447.jpg

For the pixel peepers, The image ws not sharpened and all adjustments
were made in ACR & PS.

It looks like a nice enough image composition & subject-wise, but why
can't you post a decent sized version?
372x750 isn't exactly large enough to appreciate.
Try something such as 900x1814. Then tell us what you actually did when
taking the shot, and what you did in post.

You might not have applied any sharpening, but there is a whole bunch
of other stuff I see which makes sharpening the least of the issues I
have with that image. It looks another of those great opportunity shots
lost due to questionable preparation.

I have a few questions:
Did you use a tripod?

Why did you choose the exposure settings you did, 1/30 @ f/16 & ISO 50,
when you had an f/4 lens and you D800?

What did you actually do in post?
There seems to be some sort of attempt at duotone which doesn't really
work that well. There is also, what looks like a bunch of camera shake
and some CA &/or fringing (Hand held at 1/30 & ISO 50 will do that).

Time to cough up the NEF.

Savageduck

Old September 6th 14, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Here is a little something similar to your scene, I shot back in 2005
with my D70 (not known for low light performance, and not exactly the
fattest MP count), and what is probably one of Nikkor's most iffy
lenses the 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6. It was shot hand held at ISO 500, f/4.5
@ 1/80, and at 05:38 AM in not such good light.
https://db.tt/SJcx95S9

....and a B&W version with a slight blue tone.
https://db.tt/Q9nO76XN

Savageduck

Old September 6th 14, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Bartolomeo

W dniu 2014-09-06 22:35, Savageduck pisze:

and at 05:38 AM in not such good light.
https://db.tt/SJcx95S9

...and a B&W version with a slight blue tone.
https://db.tt/Q9nO76XN

Just lurking here but have persisting impression that all buildings fall
to the right.

Old September 6th 14, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-06 21:14:23 +0000, Bartolomeo said:

W dniu 2014-09-06 22:35, Savageduck pisze:

and at 05:38 AM in not such good light.
https://db.tt/SJcx95S9

...and a B&W version with a slight blue tone.
https://db.tt/Q9nO76XN

Just lurking here but have persisting impression that all buildings
fall to the right.

You might note that the shoreline is level, and the buildings are
vertical. Just because the Vancouver city planers located shorter
buildings to the right, doesn't actually mean they are falling to the
right.

Check for yourself, the verticals are vertical, and the horizon is level;
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_889.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 7th 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 9/6/2014 3:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Yes

Why did you choose the exposure settings you did, 1/30 @ f/16 & ISO 50,
when you had an f/4 lens and you D800?

30 sec. Not 1/30. At i/30 you would have seen the current ripping.

What did you actually do in post?
There seems to be some sort of attempt at duotone which doesn't really
work that well. There is also, what looks like a bunch of camera shake
and some CA &/or fringing (Hand held at 1/30 & ISO 50 will do that).

In post I did some cropping, removal of a lamp post, a bit of warming;
and lens correction in ACR.

I did not notice any camera shake, but will look ore closely tomorrow.
Just go home from a long dinner. There may be some fringing.

Time to cough up the NEF.

Manyana.

--
PeterN
Old September 7th 14, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Good!

Why did you choose the exposure settings you did, 1/30 @ f/16 & ISO 50,
when you had an f/4 lens and you D800?

30 sec. Not 1/30. At i/30 you would have seen the current ripping.

OK! I misread that. Were you using an ND filter?

What did you actually do in post?
There seems to be some sort of attempt at duotone which doesn't really
work that well. There is also, what looks like a bunch of camera shake
and some CA &/or fringing (Hand held at 1/30 & ISO 50 will do that).

In post I did some cropping, removal of a lamp post, a bit of warming;
and lens correction in ACR.

I have no issue with the composition, cropping, lens correction, and
removal of intrusive lamp posts.
When it comes toThere is still something odd about several areas in the
image which I find distracting. The most noticeable is a pinkish color
cast which tints some buildings, some parts of the sky, and the
greenery on the right. The greenery on the right has another problem,
if you want it identifiable as "green" showing through fog. It doesn't,
it just looks murky and contaminated with that pink.
I know you were out Sunrise hunting, and with the location of that shot
(somewhere over in Brooklyn I am guessing) you probably had the Sun
behind you. The pink color cast does not look like the Sun was
responsible, certainly not a "Golden Hour" look.

Next; was it your intent to have what looks like some sort of toned B&W?
....or were you after a moody color rendition?
My big problem is it looks like neither.

I did not notice any camera shake, but will look ore closely tomorrow.
Just go home from a long dinner. There may be some fringing.

Take a look at the pilings. It might not be camera shake, but there are
possible OoF issues which have nothing to do with the fog. That is
where what looks like fringing is most conspicuous.

Time to cough up the NEF.

Manyana.

Savageduck

Old September 7th 14, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-06 18:26:54 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

That was meant to read: When it comes to a bit of warming, there is

Old September 7th 14, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-07 03:45:04 +0000, rickman said:

On 9/6/2014 5:14 PM, Bartolomeo wrote:
W dniu 2014-09-06 22:35, Savageduck pisze:

and at 05:38 AM in not such good light.
https://db.tt/SJcx95S9

...and a B&W version with a slight blue tone.
https://db.tt/Q9nO76XN

Just lurking here but have persisting impression that all buildings fall
to the right.

Yeah, I see it too. Nothing to do with the height of the buildings.
Actually, the buildings are leaning. I guess the image is a little
rotated to keep the shoreline level when in fact it is receding away on
the right side.

Yup! It is not a linear shoreline. It falls away tp the right, and
there are several jetties and the shadows they cast, which add to a
broken shoreline.

In Savageduck's image with the vertical lines drawn you can see on the
second building from the left that the building edge is not parallel to
the guideline.

Sometimes there are compromises to be made. The distortion on the right
is minimal, any further correction there would result in gross vertical
distortion to the buildings on the left and center. That would have
been far more of an issue.

As I said sometimes there are composition problems involving line and
distortion imparted by a particular lens. In the case of the example
below there were multiple issues ranging from exposure, to conspicuous
non-vertical, non-horizontal, & non-parallel lines. So there was much
tweaking involved to reach a reasonably acceptable image.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_890.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 7th 14, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Sandman

In article , PeterN wrote:

I wanted to catch the sunrise this morning. A moderate fog came in,
so I took fog images. As usual all constructive comments are welcome

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/dumbo%20at%20dawn_6447.jpg

For the pixel peepers, The image ws not sharpened and all
adjustments were made in ACR & PS.

Why such low res? I'd much prefer to see the full res image. It looks to be
quite a good image.

--
Sandman[.net]