Playing with near IR

Old August 28th 14, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

Default Playing with near IR

A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions
for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

There are lots of interesting treatments that can be given, since these
were shot with my converted P&S.
Here is an original RAW file for you to play with. It would be
interesting to see the various interpretations you guys can come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/686423.nef

--
PeterN
Old August 28th 14, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-28 03:18:32 +0000, PeterN said:

A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions
for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

There are lots of interesting treatments that can be given, since these
were shot with my converted P&S.
Here is an original RAW file for you to play with. It would be
interesting to see the various interpretations you guys can come up
with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/686423.nef

Well here is one version I managed to come up with.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/686423IR-B.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 28th 14, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-28 03:18:32 +0000, PeterN said:

A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions
for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

There are lots of interesting treatments that can be given, since these
were shot with my converted P&S.
Here is an original RAW file for you to play with. It would be
interesting to see the various interpretations you guys can come up
with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/686423.nef

Well here is one version I managed to come up with.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/686423IR-B.jpg

....and another:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/686423IR-2B.jpg

Savageduck

Old August 28th 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ng%20in%20the%

20park.jpg

There are lots of interesting treatments that can be given, since these
were shot with my converted P&S.
Here is an original RAW file for you to play with. It would be
interesting to see the various interpretations you guys can come up
with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/686423.nef

Here's mine FWIW:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/686423_1.png

Nice treatment.
What i like about IR is that it has a lot of flexibility.
Here is a version where I died not convert to monochrome, but played
with the channel mixer. I basically switched the red & blue channels,
and made some adjustments. Note the sky is now blue. When I have some
inclination I will work on the cas6tle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere2.jpg

--
PeterN
Old August 28th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 8/27/2014 11:18 PM, PeterN wrote:
A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions
for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

There are lots of interesting treatments that can be given, since these
were shot with my converted P&S.
Here is an original RAW file for you to play with. It would be
interesting to see the various interpretations you guys can come up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/ir/686423.nef

My first time playing here. Anyway two variations:

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/...4.jpg~original

==
Later...
Ron C
Old August 28th 14, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/28/2014 11:22 AM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

Nicely done.

Welcome. By posting these small exercises, I am hoping to make more
people start concentraating on photography.
Here is an interesting article on IR, just touching some of the faux
color and other possibilities using IR.

http://tonysweet.com/2014/08/19/process-texturized-color-infrared/

--
PeterN
Old August 28th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 8/28/2014 12:07 PM, PeterN wrote:
[...]

I did some IR experiments on film some ~40 years ago. Don't know
where I put the stuff.
Anyway, I've added two more variations to the folder.
Rather than post another long URL just click next on my
previous link.
There's also a variation on Savageduck's "out of the muck"
airplane from a few weeks ago.

I do have a tendency to go for the artistic and surreal.

==
Later...
Ron C
Old August 28th 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/28/2014 1:48 PM, Ron C wrote:
[...]

I know that tendency well.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/swooper.jpg

I saved the next file as a layered tiff so folks can play with the
layers and add textures, if they wish..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere3.tif

BTW the location of this shot is Belvedere Castle, Turtle lake Central
Park, NYC.

--
PeterN
Old August 29th 14, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/28/2014 8:45 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 28 August 2014 04:18:32 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions
for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

Have you tried any filters such as yellow/orange/red which will reduce the visible light by a particular amount allowing exposue to 'centre' mor eon IR than visible ?

No. Use of filters is ok for some effects, but right now I am happy with
the conversion, and its effects. I may try that later.

--
PeterN
Old August 29th 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Have you tried any filters such as yellow/orange/red which will reduce the
visible light by a particular amount allowing exposue to 'centre' mor eon
IR than visible ?

No. Use of filters is ok for some effects, but right now I am happy with
the conversion, and its effects. I may try that later.

what filter did they put in the camera, if any?