Crop vs Converter

Old August 13th 14, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

Default Crop vs Converter

What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old August 13th 14, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-13 12:37:01 +0000, android said:

What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

The 24MP DX sensor on the D7100 @ $1,099 and with 6fps, and reasonable
low light performance probably gives you the best value these days.

I am not a great proponent of TCs. Add a Nikkor 70-300mm VRII to the
24MP D7100 and you will have plenty of crop room. Add the new Tamron
150-600mm VC and you have more reach than you could possibly need.

Hell! with my measly 12MP D300S + the 70-300mm I can still get shots like this:
https://db.tt/HrtYe2HG

Savageduck

Old August 13th 14, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

android wrote:
What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

Use of a 1.4x TC does make a FF lens out of one with only cropped frame
coverage.

Unfortunately, while that is pretty reasonable for longer lenses, it
isn't nearly as viable for shorter focal lengths.

Regardless of that, how many long focal length lenses are there that
don't cover a full frame sensor?

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 13th 14, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
R. Mark Clayton

"android" wrote in message
What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

If the converter I have is anything to go by, don't waste your money.

It's not aftermarket either.

Old August 13th 14, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

"android" wrote in message
What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

If the converter I have is anything to go by, don't waste your money.

It's not aftermarket either.

Good to know... :-)
Old August 13th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-13 14:00:22 +0000, android said:

In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

android wrote:
What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

Use of a 1.4x TC does make a FF lens out of one with only cropped frame
coverage.

Unfortunately, while that is pretty reasonable for longer lenses, it
isn't nearly as viable for shorter focal lengths.

No, but alot crop people seem to crave that extra reach.

The crop folks already have that reach, by going DX they have an
effective x1.5. In this group it seems to be a few FF folks (one I can
think of) who want that extra reach by compromising with a TC.

Regardless of that, how many long focal length lenses are there that
don't cover a full frame sensor?

Don't know but SD would be able to keep he's reach. That aside: They
might have a circle of confusion thats covers FF but they are not
designed to take advantage of that. I E be sharp in the corners of a
fullframe sensor. If they a Then it's luck!

That would be using a DX lens on a FF body, not a FF lens on a DX body.

Savageduck

Old August 13th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
android

On 2014-08-13 14:00:22 +0000, android said:

In article ,
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

android wrote:
What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

Use of a 1.4x TC does make a FF lens out of one with only cropped frame
coverage.

Unfortunately, while that is pretty reasonable for longer lenses, it
isn't nearly as viable for shorter focal lengths.

No, but alot crop people seem to crave that extra reach.

The crop folks already have that reach, by going DX they have an
effective x1.5. In this group it seems to be a few FF folks (one I can
think of) who want that extra reach by compromising with a TC.

The TC would reproduce the effect of a crop sensor on a FF camera.
Hence: Crop vs Converter

Regardless of that, how many long focal length lenses are there that
don't cover a full frame sensor?

Don't know but SD would be able to keep he's reach. That aside: They
might have a circle of confusion thats covers FF but they are not
designed to take advantage of that. I E be sharp in the corners of a
fullframe sensor. If they a Then it's luck!

That would be using a DX lens on a FF body, not a FF lens on a DX body.

Yes, and that was the prerequisite.
Old August 17th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 06:07:40 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-08-13 12:37:01 +0000, android said:

What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

The 24MP DX sensor on the D7100 @ $1,099 and with 6fps, and reasonable
low light performance probably gives you the best value these days.

6fps only for jpg. Shooting raw you fill the buffer
after ~3shots and then you're stuck with how fast your
card is and it still is the crucial factor even with an
Extreme Pro 95MB/sec SD card.

Also feels like I went back in time to my D70 as most
of the controls are concerned.

I am not a great proponent of TCs. Add a Nikkor 70-300mm VRII to the
24MP D7100 and you will have plenty of crop room. Add the new Tamron
150-600mm VC and you have more reach than you could possibly need.

One has to evaluate specific TC/lens pairs.I find the
TC-14EII behind a first gen 200-400mm f/4 VR to be
fine. Depends what type of birds you want to shoot as
to how much is enough reach.

Hell! with my measly 12MP D300S + the 70-300mm I can still get shots like this:
https://db.tt/HrtYe2HG

Now try something with about 1/10th or smaller of that
wingspan in flight.
Old August 17th 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

On 2014-08-13 12:37:01 +0000, android said:

What's the best make do if you cant afford proper fullframe glass? A
crop camera or a 1.4 teleconverter. The crop camera gives more speed but
a fullframe sensor should give you less noise to compensate for that.
I think that a lot people deep into telephoto are interested in that!

The 24MP DX sensor on the D7100 @ $1,099 and with 6fps, and reasonable
low light performance probably gives you the best value these days.

6fps only for jpg. Shooting raw you fill the buffer
after ~3shots and then you're stuck with how fast your
card is and it still is the crucial factor even with an
Extreme Pro 95MB/sec SD card.

The User Manual says otherwise.

For 12-bit NEF and JPEG, 6 frames per second. It slows
to only 5 fps with 14-bit NEF.

The memory buffer is specified for 6 lossless compressed
14 bit NEF files and 7 lossless compressed 12 bit NEF
files.

It's pretty hard to argue with that for a 24 MP DX
sensor at that price.

Also feels like I went back in time to my D70 as most
of the controls are concerned.

Yes, Nikon always has done a good job on controls.

I am not a great proponent of TCs. Add a Nikkor 70-300mm VRII to the
24MP D7100 and you will have plenty of crop room. Add the new Tamron
150-600mm VC and you have more reach than you could possibly need.

One has to evaluate specific TC/lens pairs.I find the
TC-14EII behind a first gen 200-400mm f/4 VR to be
fine. Depends what type of birds you want to shoot as
to how much is enough reach.

Hell! with my measly 12MP D300S + the 70-300mm I can still get shots like this:
https://db.tt/HrtYe2HG

Now try something with about 1/10th or smaller of that
wingspan in flight.

Well, of course that is a different problem. Still, a
D7100 will be about the best buy in a camera for that
too.