Size matters – how else could Dell squeeze 15 million pixels into this 27" 5K monitor?

Old September 9th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Size matters ? how else could Dell squeeze 15 million pixels into this 27" 5K monitor?

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I suggest that you read the link above. I can confirm the problems
posted. You might have an other experience with Dell.

I have read it and done a bit of digging.

Sure you have. The reason for why Dell QC can't be trusted was in the
post that I linked to. EOD.
http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old September 9th 14, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 10:57:00 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I suggest that you read the link above. I can confirm the problems
posted. You might have an other experience with Dell.

I have read it and done a bit of digging.

Sure you have. The reason for why Dell QC can't be trusted was in the
post that I linked to. EOD.

As you have now snipped without giving any indication of the fact, the
reason why you can't trust Dell is utterly confused. I would have
hoped you could have done better.

Eric Stevens
Old September 9th 14, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Eric Stevens wrote:

I suggest that you read the link above. I can confirm the problems
posted. You might have an other experience with Dell.

I have read it and done a bit of digging.

Sure you have. The reason for why Dell QC can't be trusted was in the
post that I linked to. EOD.

As you have now snipped without giving any indication of the fact, the
reason why you can't trust Dell is utterly confused. I would have
hoped you could have done better.

The link got lost again?
Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb :-)))
Old September 9th 14, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:29:12 +0200, android wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:

I suggest that you read the link above. I can confirm the problems
posted. You might have an other experience with Dell.

I have read it and done a bit of digging.

Sure you have. The reason for why Dell QC can't be trusted was in the
post that I linked to. EOD.

As you have now snipped without giving any indication of the fact, the
reason why you can't trust Dell is utterly confused. I would have
hoped you could have done better.

The link got lost again?
Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb :-)))

The reason why you can't trust Dell remains utterly confused

Eric Stevens
Old September 9th 14, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:08:31 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I suggest that you read the link above. I can confirm the problems
posted. You might have an other experience with Dell.

I have read it and done a bit of digging.

Sure you have. The reason for why Dell QC can't be trusted was in the
post that I linked to. EOD.
http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb

And the reason why it provides no sound basis for your dislike of Dell
is that it seems to have no relevance to Dell's present monitors. The
OP is suffering from problems of a second-hand and refurbished monitor
of a now obsolete type which he had bought three years previously from
an unnamed subsidiary of Amazon. Are you really surprised that he
didn't get much mileage out of Dell?

Eric Stevens
Old September 9th 14, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 9/7/2014 3:52 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
PeterN wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...tor_and_stuff/

I would hesitate to buy a Dell unit at any price.

Update:

Maybe I should give you this to ponder:

http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb

The article clears up why tinted panels goes through the Dell QC and I
can confirm this since I've observed it myself on a U2412M.
The current models have the look to produced by the same subcontractor.

I should have made it clear that I was talking abut the technology, not
the brand.
While many folk find Dell adequate for business uses, it would take a
lot for me to purchase a Dell for graphics.

--
PeterN
Old September 10th 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

PeterN wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...tor_and_stuff/

I would hesitate to buy a Dell unit at any price.

Update:

Maybe I should give you this to ponder:

http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb

The article clears up why tinted panels goes through the Dell QC and I
can confirm this since I've observed it myself on a U2412M.
The current models have the look to produced by the same subcontractor.

I should have made it clear that I was talking abut the technology, not
the brand.
While many folk find Dell adequate for business uses, it would take a
lot for me to purchase a Dell for graphics.

I would agre with you about ordinary run of the mill screens but the
Ultrasharp screens are in a different class from the business screens
(I have both categories).

Here is the test report which came with one of my screens
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Print005.jpg

Here is a D300 photograph of my two U2410 screens showing a screen
saver. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7199_DxO.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old September 10th 14, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Glad it works for you. I am very much in the habit of playing the odds.
From what I read Dell has the practice of using whatever parts are
available at the lowest price for the particular production batch. i
have been looking for a 2nd screen for a while. Holding that aside, from
those that I have tested, the best within my budget is not the Dell. I
am not mentioning the brand I like, because I have no intention of
starting a tool war.

--
PeterN
Old September 10th 14, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

From what I read Dell has the practice of using whatever parts are
available at the lowest price for the particular production batch.

I don't think Dell are unique in this respect. The ones I would worry
about are those who use price as their only criterion. I doubt if that
is the case for their Ultrasharp. Even now it's 50% dearer than the
next most expensive 24" monitor, except for the new HD range which is
way up in the stratosphere.

Old September 30th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 20:39:55 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:52:44 +0200, android wrote:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...tor_and_stuff/

I would hesitate to buy a Dell unit at any price.

Update:

Maybe I should give you this to ponder:

http://tinyurl.com/pkxnqyb

The article clears up why tinted panels goes through the Dell QC and I
can confirm this since I've observed it myself on a U2412M.
The current models have the look to produced by the same subcontractor.

I have two Dell U2410 monitors. One I bought new and is probably about
five years old. The other I bought used earlier this year and is
probably about two years old. They are basically the same monitor but
have different alphabetic suffixes (which I can't locate as yet). Both
are regularly calibrated by Spyder 4 and once they have warmed up you
can't tell one from the other. I don't know what you are bleating
about. Have you any actual experience of a properly calibrated Dell
Ultrasharp monitor?

NVidia has brought out a new Maxwell serises of graphics processors of
even higher performance. http://tinyurl.com/lfk6o6u or
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09...says_nvi dia/
is an interesting program on the application of this processor to the
reconstruction of of the contentious (allegedly shot in a studio)
photographs of the moon landing. The whole program is very interesting
(watch it in full screen mode) and will ultimately have relevance to
many aspects of digital photography. Why I mentioned it here is that
in a couple of places NVidia can be seen to using Dell U2410 monitors
for their graphic development. I don't think NVidia would be doing
that if they weren't satisfied with their quality. Watch the video
though: it's very interesting and points to the future of image
processing.

Eric Stevens