Photo file rename by to date and time taken

Old July 29th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen G. Giannoni

Default Photo file rename by to date and time taken

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?
Old July 29th 15, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Stephen G.
Giannoni wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

why do you want to rename the files?

that information is already in the exif data in the file which an asset
manager can see and display as well as sort and do queries on. it's a
*lot* more powerful than trying to look at a list file names.
Old July 29th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-29 15:04:58 +0000, Stephen G. Giannoni
said:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you really need to do that, then Lightroom or Bridge can handle that task.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you really need to do that, then Lightroom or Bridge can handle that task.

they eliminate the need.
Old July 29th 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you really need to do that, then Lightroom or Bridge can handle that task.

I really don't understand the replies I see here. A guy asks a simple
question and one person starts an argument saying there's no reason
for the person to re-name the files, and you recommend programs that
he may or may not have.

because renaming files is never a good solution. in fact, it's not even
needed at all because the file name makes absolutely no difference
whatsoever.
Old July 29th 15, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

What operating system do you use?

--
Sandman
Old July 29th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 29, 2015, Sandman wrote
(in ):

In , Stephen G. Giannoni
wrote:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

What operating system do you use?

Since he is using Forte Agent as a Usenet client, I would hazard a guess that
Stephen is using some version of Windows.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The real point is that it is the user's decision to do this. Without
knowing his reasons, you have no business telling him there's no need
to do it. What you do or need is not necessarily what he wants to do.

when i see someone doing things the hard way, i'm going to tell them
about alternatives that are much better, more efficient and much more
capable.

they can still do thing the hard way but at least they know that better
alternatives exist.

unfortunately, people like you would rather let them live in a cave
oblivious to alternate and much better solutions and learning new ways
of doing things. that's bad.
Old July 29th 15, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:30:42 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-07-29 17:14:12 +0000, Tony Cooper said:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:00:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
On Jul 29, 2015, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:13:40 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-07-29 15:04:58 +0000, Stephen G. Giannoni
said:

What's the best program for such a batch rename ?

If you really need to do that, then Lightroom or Bridge can handle that
task.

I really don't understand the replies I see here. A guy asks a simple
question and one person starts an argument saying there's no reason
for the person to re-name the files, and you recommend programs that
he may or may not have.

Don?t complicate things.
He asked a simple question, and from my experience and familiarity with two
programs which can do what he wants, I gave a simple answer and named them.
My only commentary on the subject was my remark, ?If you really need to do
that...?, that comment does not translate in Floridian to ?there is no
reason for the person to rename files?.
I didn?t say that either application was the best for the job, I said that
either one could handle the that task.
I wasn?t arguing with anybody and it would have been my final comment on
the subject, but for your response.

The arguing was offered by nospam who has taken the position that it's
not necessary to rename. That's the OP's decision, not nospam's.

Then why rant in a response to my post?

Because it needed to be said.

Maybe you didn't quite get my prior question; "Then why rant in a
response to my post?"

Perhaps I should have asked; "If your problem was with nospam, then WTF
aim your rant at me?"

Savageduck

Old July 29th 15, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The real point is that it is the user's decision to do this. Without
knowing his reasons, you have no business telling him there's no need
to do it. What you do or need is not necessarily what he wants to do.

when i see someone doing things the hard way, i'm going to tell them
about alternatives that are much better, more efficient and much more
capable.

There was no "hard way" suggested. You did not tell the OP about any
alternatives, why any alternatives were better, or anything else that
was helpful.

wrong.

You said:

"why do you want to rename the files?

that information is already in the exif data in the file which an
asset manager can see and display as well as sort and do queries on.
it's a *lot* more powerful than trying to look at a list file names."

That is not offering an alternative. That is not offering a better
way to do anything.

an asset manager is the alternative.

i didn't tell him *which* asset manager because that's *his* choice.

lightroom is a popular choice but it's not the only one.

Changing the file name can do more than provide a
list of file names. Depending on the Viewer used, it can display
information in a simpler way that looking at the EXIF data and it can
be used as a sorting data point.

asset managers do all of that and more without having to change or
rename anything, making users much more productive.

managing photos (or any asset) via the filesystem is primitive and
inefficient. that's why asset mangers exist, which are designed and
optimized to manage assets. not only are they more efficient but they
do a lot more too. there is no downside.