Laughable Apple watch ads: Urban millenial D.B's that only ever see LARGE buttons on the watch

Old May 29th 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Laughable Apple watch ads: Urban millenial D.B's that only ever see LARGE buttons on the watch

| didn't you call smartphones a fad? got that one wrong too.

I am surprised by the sheer ubiquity of cellphones.
And it's increasing quickly. (No ned to even call them
smartphones anymore. Nearly everyone with a phone
now has an iPhone or Android.) I regularly deal with
people who assume I have texting capability. (I don't.)

There was a time when I thought things would
get back to normal once the phone addicts all walked
into trees or got run over. You know... Darwinian thinning
of the herd. But now I think we'll probably just
change the laws to accomodate them. Already, now,
when I drive through Harvard Sq in Cambridge I feel
like I'm playing bumper cars with numerous people who
simply walk around gazing at their phone, without
any break in their step, even when they cross busy
intersections. The physical world is becoming sort of
a necessary evil for many people, as they live most
of the time in a mindset separate from their physical
presence.

But even given all of that..... I don't expect iWatches
to last. (Remember, Apple has had plenty of big failures
in the past. You can fool all of the AppleSeeds most
of the time, but they don't like PCs packaged as 8",
cracked acrylic cubes. And the fitness craze itself
is a very mutable, unstable phenomenon.)

Old May 29th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

the spot watch was *very* different than a smar****ch of today. it was
a one-way device using a microsoft proprietary network that sat on top
of fm radio and could only receive data. it also wasn't in all cities
because microsoft had to sign agreements to transmit the data. its
business model was a yearly subscription. users don't want that.

Adobe agrees. The subscription business model will never work.

adobe doesn't make watches.

try to stay on topic.
Old May 29th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| didn't you call smartphones a fad? got that one wrong too.

I am surprised by the sheer ubiquity of cellphones.

you must be kidding.

why would anyone be surprised that cellphones would be so widespread?

And it's increasing quickly. (No ned to even call them
smartphones anymore. Nearly everyone with a phone
now has an iPhone or Android.) I regularly deal with
people who assume I have texting capability. (I don't.)

you're always behind the times.

There was a time when I thought things would
get back to normal once the phone addicts all walked
into trees or got run over. You know... Darwinian thinning
of the herd.

very few people do what you claim.

But now I think we'll probably just
change the laws to accomodate them. Already, now,
when I drive through Harvard Sq in Cambridge I feel
like I'm playing bumper cars with numerous people who
simply walk around gazing at their phone, without
any break in their step, even when they cross busy
intersections.

harvard square has always been like that, long before there were
cellphones.

it's also not just harvard square. try new york city.

The physical world is becoming sort of
a necessary evil for many people, as they live most
of the time in a mindset separate from their physical
presence.

nonsense.

But even given all of that..... I don't expect iWatches
to last. (Remember, Apple has had plenty of big failures
in the past.

very few and certainly not recently.

You can fool all of the AppleSeeds most
of the time, but they don't like PCs packaged as 8",
cracked acrylic cubes. And the fitness craze itself
is a very mutable, unstable phenomenon.)

once again, it's not just apple.

you are so full of hate you can't even see that many companies are
making wearables, and not just watches either.

they're also not all that cheap. tag heuer has announced a $1400
android wear watch coming later this year.
Old May 29th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| And the fitness craze itself
| is a very mutable, unstable phenomenon.)
|
| I think it may well increase as they find more things to monitor.

I suppose that's true. It could get very expensive
to buy proper equipment for exercising. Exercise
could become a luxury of the rich. But it's a
quirky pastime. I wouldn't be surprised if things
suddenly went the other way, either. There could
be a big craze of exercizing outdoors, and only in
natural fibers. All it would take is for a few hip
hyperchondriacs to develop allergies to spandex
and yoga pants. Then we'll all wish we had spent
that iWatch money on stock in companies that make
some sort of "hand-harvested, authentic unbleached
cotton".

Old May 29th 15, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/29/2015 11:19 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

the spot watch was *very* different than a smar****ch of today. it was
a one-way device using a microsoft proprietary network that sat on top
of fm radio and could only receive data. it also wasn't in all cities
because microsoft had to sign agreements to transmit the data. its
business model was a yearly subscription. users don't want that.

Adobe agrees. The subscription business model will never work.

adobe doesn't make watches.

try to stay on topic.

The topic is business models. Your words, not mine.

BTW: The subscription model doesn't work with cars, either.
Most cars are just a tad larger than a watch.

--
PeterN
Old May 29th 15, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

the spot watch was *very* different than a smar****ch of today. it was
a one-way device using a microsoft proprietary network that sat on top
of fm radio and could only receive data. it also wasn't in all cities
because microsoft had to sign agreements to transmit the data. its
business model was a yearly subscription. users don't want that.

Adobe agrees. The subscription business model will never work.

adobe doesn't make watches.

try to stay on topic.

The topic is business models. Your words, not mine.

nope. the topic is the microsoft spot watch.

the *entire* paragraph above is about the spot watch. the rest of the
thread is about smar****ches.

BTW: The subscription model doesn't work with cars, either.

nonsense. many people lease cars.

Most cars are just a tad larger than a watch.

so what?

apartments are larger than cars and there's a *huge* market for people
who rent them.
Old May 29th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Mayayana wrote:

| Ludicrous is the nicest response that I can come up with. Why in
the | world would any healthy person want to make a spread sheet
with | average pulse rates? | | A lot of fitness-savvy people and
athletes do on a regular basis. |

Fitness-savvy? I guess that's probably a good term, actually

It's adequate enough.

People who follow the fashion of "fitness" as part of a
conceptualized, semi- conscious routine of self-development and
self- fulfillment. (Whatever that means. I'm sure they can't tell
you. They're just doing what the TV ads told them to do. Eating
power bars made mostly of sugar; wearing "panty hose" on the street
to show that they work out, even if their behind ends up looking
like a very large sack of cantaloupes; taking their statins and high
blood pressure drugs and happy pills to maximize their quality of
life, while they wolf down a piece of salmon grilled in olive oil on
their way to yoga class. The average fitness-savvy person is
arguably unaware of their body to a surprising extent. "Achieving"
exercise and keeping a record is part of that.)

You just described a fitness-ignorant person and used the phrase fitness-savvy.
Perhaps you're familliar with the word "savvy"? It usually means someone
knowledgable about something practicle.

| So, no, you don't "need" an iPhone to take photos on your vacation
or an Apple | Watch to monitor your pulse rate when exercising, but
these are now features that | are built in, and if you *have*
either gadget, you don't really need a dedicated | one for the task
any longer. Less clutter, yay. |

But the discussion was about Apple watches.

Which is why it is mentioned above in the paragraph you responded to.

They're not built in to your iPhone.

Is that so? I had no idea.

It's a new gadget. As I understand it they start at
$300+. An old-fashioned pedometer cost, what, $5? And even that was
a waste of money that people would use once or twice and then forget
about.

So you're responding to a paragraph of mine where I explicitly state that you
don't need an Apple Watch to monitor you heart rate by comparing the price of an
Apple Watch to a dedicated pedometer? That's my point. You shouldn't compare the
two because the Apple Watch isn't something you buy when all you want is a
dedicated pedometer. Talk about totally missing the point

I have no doubt that the fitness gadget craze will be short-lived,
simply because it's a business model looking for a purpose. Remember
Bill Gates and his SPOT watch? He wanted to sell you more stuff and
track you at the same time. He wanted you to live in a Microsoft
world. The only problem was that his watch served no purpose. He
kept talking about getting sports scores and stock quotes "on the
go". It was just silly. Of course, Apple fans will buy silly, but
even they have limits.

Your stereotyping is of no concern to whatever someone might find useful with any
given gadget.

--
Sandman
Old May 29th 15, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/29/2015 11:44 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| And the fitness craze itself
| is a very mutable, unstable phenomenon.)
|
| I think it may well increase as they find more things to monitor.

I suppose that's true. It could get very expensive
to buy proper equipment for exercising. Exercise
could become a luxury of the rich. But it's a
quirky pastime. I wouldn't be surprised if things
suddenly went the other way, either. There could
be a big craze of exercizing outdoors, and only in
natural fibers. All it would take is for a few hip
hyperchondriacs to develop allergies to spandex
and yoga pants. Then we'll all wish we had spent
that iWatch money on stock in companies that make
some sort of "hand-harvested, authentic unbleached
cotton".

I can tell you from first hand knowledge, that if the fitness business
is a "craxe," it has been so since at least the 70s. Properly run
fitness facilities can be good business.

--
PeterN
Old May 29th 15, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/29/2015 11:59 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

the spot watch was *very* different than a smar****ch of today. it was
a one-way device using a microsoft proprietary network that sat on top
of fm radio and could only receive data. it also wasn't in all cities
because microsoft had to sign agreements to transmit the data. its
business model was a yearly subscription. users don't want that.

Adobe agrees. The subscription business model will never work.

adobe doesn't make watches.

try to stay on topic.

The topic is business models. Your words, not mine.

nope. the topic is the microsoft spot watch.

the *entire* paragraph above is about the spot watch. the rest of the
thread is about smar****ches.

My next heart attack will cocme whn you admit to being wrong.

BTW: The subscription model doesn't work with cars, either.

nonsense. many people lease cars.

Most cars are just a tad larger than a watch.

so what?

apartments are larger than cars and there's a *huge* market for people
who rent them.

Get your sarcasm meter fixed.

--
PeterN
Old May 29th 15, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| People who follow the fashion of "fitness" as part of a
| conceptualized, semi- conscious routine of self-development and
| self- fulfillment. (Whatever that means. I'm sure they can't tell
| you. They're just doing what the TV ads told them to do. Eating
| power bars made mostly of sugar; wearing "panty hose" on the street
| to show that they work out, even if their behind ends up looking
| like a very large sack of cantaloupes; taking their statins and high
| blood pressure drugs and happy pills to maximize their quality of
| life, while they wolf down a piece of salmon grilled in olive oil on
| their way to yoga class. The average fitness-savvy person is
| arguably unaware of their body to a surprising extent. "Achieving"
| exercise and keeping a record is part of that.)
|
| You just described a fitness-ignorant person and used the phrase
fitness-savvy.
| Perhaps you're familliar with the word "savvy"? It usually means someone
| knowledgable about something practicle.

You don't seem to have understood my point.
But if you can't get it from reading what I wrote
then I expect there's no point trying to explain it.
Hint: irony.