[SI] Reflections - my comments

Old November 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Alan Browne

Default [SI] Reflections - my comments

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36675479
Bret Douglas
A lot of interesting detail, but a dull color palette except the head of the
beast. The blue rim light on the left is interesting and complimented by the
blue glow on the right. The beast appears to have a bit of food or perhaps an
egg attached to its mouth. There is an odd magenta artifact on the large muscle
of the rear leg... aliasing I assume (damned digital). Not your best work.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669109
Bruce Murphy
When I proposed this mandate I assumed somebody would have access to an optical
bench and a few lasers, mirrors and so on. The light here is a little too
garish, a stop less would have probably been better. Positives are the
lighting of the engineer (physicist?) and the compliment of red and blue colors.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669125
Tom Hudson
Neat composition with limited lighting and color. It is odd how the vapor is so
dominant in the primary image but subdued in the reflection. I believe that's
because the 'trailing off' in the main image enjoys a longer run. The whole is
also slightly soft so I suspect a tripod was not used and the shot would have
benefited with one. It is also a bit strange how the reflected lights in the
water are more blocked up than the direct lighting (in particular in the two
bunches of smaller lights to the right)... perhaps water motion did this...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669126
Alan Browne
Here I have the main subject in a direct reflection of itself in the glass below
the subject. I've also presented a reflected image of a grid in front of the
backlight, eg: the actual grid is not shown. I was trying to get an image where
the refection of the object was visible via the object itself. I did do this,
but the DOF was not sufficient resulting in an unpleasant image (more powerful
strobes (or faster film) would have helped at this point to get a smaller
aperture... alas...)

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669127
Steve McCartney
Ugh. I think a new rulz prohibiting shots of the photographer shooting himself
via a mirror should be put into force. Okay, having vented, the composition
does have some interesting points such as the hairdresser (?) using the mirror
for the de-rigeur look at how he did the back reflected into the mirror being
used for the shot. Everything in this image is a reflection. Including the
"ooh, aren't I clever" smile of the photog as he clicks this into eternity and a
theft mirror reflected in the mirror on the other side of this upscale little
salon! Yahoo! Can I go home now?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669128
The Dave
A shot where the reflection is not a dominating feature, yet most of the image
is a reflection of the sky. The hazy light makes it all quite soft and dull.
One thing that is neat about the reflections is that only (seemingly) the
vertical objects stick out in the refections, and the horizontal parts are lost
in the ripples in the water (except the top of elevated bridge section)
Nice composition, but flat looking... the ship is lost in the horizon clutter.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669129
Bowser
The dead black of the trees on the farside and their symmetrical "absent"
reflection kill the shot more than make it. The detail of the sky reflected in
the water is very nicely captured, however, as are the surface details of the
river (pond, whatever). The shadow graph of sorts of the plants is niceley
detailed... the little sprig on the upper right should have been cropped out at
composition time (or hell, cheat in PS). The birds (and some other features
seem to have halos around them suggesting a heavy hand with the sharpening.
Overall light is very nice, but the dead black in the middle ruins it. Been
there on slide film...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669130
R. Schenck
The subject is too dull to make out (some ornament on the wall over a framed...
something) so the image has a hard time communicating. The fore framing by the
two vertical bars is a strong point, but as we can't really read the subject,
the whole just doesn't carry it.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669131
Eric Quesnel-Williams
A great idea, but the reflection is very low key. I must note that the prop for
the piano top is dischordant. The light and texture of the string board is
great, and unfortunately not echoed in the mirror. (Was there a mirror or was
this off of the lacquer? Concert pianos often have a mirror so people can see
the hammers striking the chords ... or at least get some colorful image off of
an otherwise dull looking instrument).

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669132
Quercus
Cool subject. Only wimps use triggers. Big wimps use compound, real men shoot
longbows. I like the flat green background for this subject but it's a shame
that there are those vertical trim pieces. I dislike the cropping on the left
(or really crop it down to the minimum where we know what the subject is without
seeing much of it). The reflected image, except for its cluttered background,
is great as it focuses all attention on the weapon. I believe this would have
been a much stronger "reflection" image if the composition could have all but
eliminated the weapon (eg: just show the shooter) on the left, and as presented
just show the bow on the right. This image comes closest to the part of the
mandate where I stated: "Kudos if the image somehow conveys different meanings
in the direct image versus the reflected image." So Kudos for that.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669133
Bob Hickey
Urban landscapist Bob presents an image that is more about form and shadows than
reflections. The reflections presented here are the kind that usually elicit
cries to "put on a polarizer, damnit!" than, "hey, cool reflections, dude." On
a positive note the complimentary lines of the shelter top and the rails and
implied slope of stairs is nice, and I guess they're reflective of one another
in form. Yeah, I'm stretchin it here.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669134
Mike Henley
Hmm. Well Mike, I really didn't know you were a drag queen... so to speak.
this image is good news if this is the best that a cell phone camera can do.
Meets the mandate and the pose is interesting... I guess.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669135
Vic Mason
I don't get this from a reflections point of view. Or for that matter, any
point of view. There is some artifact reflected in the bottom of the glassed
over art, but it is vague. I'm assuming the yellow frame holds a mirror, and
the artwork is close to where the camera was, but it's really not clear what is
happening here. The various hotspots and shadows also indicate a technical
effort that hasn't panned out.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36675478
Doug Payne
Great effort but with the moon so high it is hard to get enough light off the
surface to balance with the direct light from the moon (which is over-exp here).
This shot also goes in line with the mandate challenge: "Kudos if the image
somehow conveys different meanings in the direct image versus the reflected image."

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36679106
Al Denelsbeck
Decidedly strange image... I get the impression that the object on the left
above the flare is a car carrying trailer of some type and that you've gotten
multiple images of it as strobed by the lights on police car... but hard to tell
overall. The only reflection (other than those lights off of the trailer) is a
faint reflection of the police car and another from the flare. So, interesting
shot, but not sure a mandate meeter...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36679107
Graham Fountain
Usually long shutter shots are in higher contrast scenes than this, so this is
original in that context. Reflections aren't a large part of the image here, so
the mandate is not strongly met. Where there are reflections they are somewhat
lost in what is overall a cluttered image. I get the impression the image is
tilted to the right a tad. I also get the impression of frost on the leaves
which is a bit odd as the setting seems tropical...

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36758673
Jim Kramer
This shot reminds me of results I've had from playing with all kinds of
reflectors, lighting from under a glass table, and so on. I'm guessing some
kind of carbonated water and something holding the rubber duck above the water
and a flash below the, er vessel. Whatever it is, very strange indeed as the
depth of the water (if that's what it is) gives the impression of being deeper
than the vessel... strange indeed.

-- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
Old November 26th 04, 10:39 PM
The DaveŠ

Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669128
The Dave
A shot where the reflection is not a dominating feature, yet most of
the image is a reflection of the sky. The hazy light makes it all
quite soft and dull. One thing that is neat about the reflections is
that only (seemingly) the vertical objects stick out in the
refections, and the horizontal parts are lost in the ripples in the
water (except the top of elevated bridge section) Nice composition,
but flat looking... the ship is lost in the horizon clutter.

First off, thanks for taking the time to comment. A couple comments:

I agree that it is a bit flat, it was an extremely hazy late afternoon.
I shot off a couple pictures without the ship while the span was up and
waiting and a couple after the span had gone back down, but chose this
one for the shoot-in. Seemed to have a little more interest, I
thought, even though you do almost have to purposely look for the ship
as it's not readily obvious.

--
The best part about having kids is making them.

Old November 27th 04, 08:58 AM
Bruce Murphy

Alan Browne writes:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669109
Bruce Murphy
When I proposed this mandate I assumed somebody would have access to
an optical bench and a few lasers, mirrors and so on. The light here
is a little too garish, a stop less would have probably been better.
Positives are the lighting of the engineer (physicist?) and the
compliment of red and blue colors.

Not so much a stop with the 52-second exposure, more a need to go
through the whole process again and be even *more* stingy with the dry
ice vapour. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince the various folks
assisting to go through the process of carefully pouring it over all
the beam-paths again. To a certain extent, I needed to know in advance
which bits of the setup had large amounts of reflected light even
without the vapour too.

This was the final in a series of four shots taken set up like this,
varying the manually controlled blue light[1] and the amount of dry
ice over the beams. The blue light here was a Schott lamp and a pair
of blue laser safety goggles.

Before this, the blue lamp was some blue plastic and a normal
incandescent bulb, but this was stopped after the two fused together
in a cloud of foul-smelling smoke. *sigh*

Much fun, anyway Oh, and the setup is actually a working digital
holography system, rather than something constructed for the
occasion. I'll have to check whether the person in question prefers
physicist or engineer, but we're in an engineering lab.

[1] "Turn it on!" *pause* "Now turn it off!"

Old November 27th 04, 01:26 PM
Bob Hickey

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the comments, I have so many shots of green glass buildings, I
can't stand looking at them any more, so this one is a subway entrance
leading into a green glass building. Also I wanted to test a Sears Mini 35,
which is a rip of a Minox 35, except they actually work. Terriffic little
camera. Bob Hickey

Old November 27th 04, 03:06 PM
Annika1980

From: Alan Browne

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36675479
Bret Douglas
A lot of interesting detail, but a dull color palette except the head of the
beast. The blue rim light on the left is interesting and complimented by the
blue glow on the right. The beast appears to have a bit of food or perhaps
an
egg attached to its mouth. There is an odd magenta artifact on the large
muscle
of the rear leg... aliasing I assume (damned digital). Not your best work.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It would be nice if more folks did
that.

Ironically, my pic was taken at a place called Reflection Riding. I was parked
in the middle of a big field, trying to lure a hawk when this grasshopper
landed on the hood of my car. Too bad my car wasn't cleaner. I grabbed the
extension tubes and slapped them on the 20D along with the Super 70-200 f/2.8L
for this shot.

I thought it was pretty cool for a quick grab shot. I couldn't decide on the
orientation to present so I went with the vertical shot to make it look like he
was looking in a mirror.

Old November 27th 04, 03:06 PM
Annika1980

Old November 27th 04, 06:10 PM
z-one-b

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/36669131
Eric Quesnel-Williams
A great idea, but the reflection is very low key. I must note that the

prop for
the piano top is dischordant. The light and texture of the string board

is
great, and unfortunately not echoed in the mirror. (Was there a mirror or

was
this off of the lacquer? Concert pianos often have a mirror so people can

see
the hammers striking the chords ... or at least get some colorful image

off of
an otherwise dull looking instrument).

Yes, the prop for the piano *is* quite dischordant (pun alert), but this is
pretty much the only pleasing angle I was able to get with the camera I had.
It has a fixed 35mm lens...I usually would have used something a tad more
tele.
There is no mirror here, it its simply the strings reflecting off the
lacquer.
Thanks for your comments!!!

--
http://www.pbase.com/eqw