Rockwell - "but what about Godwin's"

Old September 15th 09, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default Rockwell - "but what about Godwin's"

Ken's really on form today.

"As an historical note, Leica has been making 35mm cameras and lenses
since the 1920s.

Nikon never made cameras until the late 1940s, or after after World War
II. Prior to and during WWII, Nikon instead specialized in making
instruments for mass destruction: long-range rangefinders for artillery,
military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships, and aircraft
bombsights. Nikon's instruments were instrumental in Japan's terrorist
attacks against America at Pearl Harbor (there was no declaration of
war, and the Japanese invented suicide bombing using airplanes: kamikazes).

Nikon's warmongering divisions were disbanded after WWII, and the few
guys left at Nikon sat around and wondered what to do next (ref: Rotoloni)."
Old September 15th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NOYFB

"DG" wrote in message

He's got a big time Leica masturbatory infatuation going on now. Wait
until he gets into their history.

Or the Kennedy Family getting wealthy while selling to Hitler!

Good one Joe Kennedy

Old September 15th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"Me" wrote in message
Ken's really on form today.

"As an historical note, Leica has been making 35mm cameras and lenses
since the 1920s.

Nikon never made cameras until the late 1940s, or after after World War
II. Prior to and during WWII, Nikon instead specialized in making
instruments for mass destruction: long-range rangefinders for artillery,
military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships, and aircraft
bombsights. Nikon's instruments were instrumental in Japan's terrorist
attacks against America at Pearl Harbor (there was no declaration of war,
and the Japanese invented suicide bombing using airplanes: kamikazes).

Nikon's warmongering divisions were disbanded after WWII, and the few guys
left at Nikon sat around and wondered what to do next (ref: Rotoloni)."

Were every other army's and navy's rangefinders and binoculars also
"instruments for mass destruction," I wonder, or only those Nikon made for
the Japanese forces?

"Nikon's warmongering divisions"!?

guffaw!

I think Ken has been smoking some strange stuff.

Old September 15th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-09-15 01:38:35 -0700, Me said:

Ken's really on form today.

"As an historical note, Leica has been making 35mm cameras and lenses
since the 1920s.

Nikon never made cameras until the late 1940s, or after after World War
II. Prior to and during WWII, Nikon instead specialized in making
instruments for mass destruction: long-range rangefinders for
artillery, military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships,
and aircraft bombsights. Nikon's instruments were instrumental in
Japan's terrorist attacks against America at Pearl Harbor (there was no
declaration of war, and the Japanese invented suicide bombing using
airplanes: kamikazes).

Nikon's warmongering divisions were disbanded after WWII, and the few
guys left at Nikon sat around and wondered what to do next (ref:
Rotoloni)."

Ken has had this thing about the price of the D3X going for some time
now. It really turned him against Nikon. For some reason, Ken expects
Nikon to sell a 24 megapixel DSLR for $1000 less than Canon can sell a
21 megapixel DSLR. Or $2000 less than Leica can sell an 18 megapixel
rangefinder. Ken has imagined this huge boycott that he is
orchestrating and that people are deserting Nikon in droves. It is all
in his imagination.

That said, Nikon really does need to take a look at its marketing. The
12 MP D700 is priced higher than 18 and 21 MP cameras from Sony and
Canon. That is just stupid.

Every other camera company is boasting smaller and lighter. Nikon gets
bigger and heavier. Leica and Sony are going for fewer features and
simpler operation. Nikon seems to think your camera should take movies
and project them, manage your portfolio, make your phone calls and
vacuum your floors.

Even Nikon's styling on their cameras, especially their point & shoots,
is awful.

Nikon's lenses are constantly getting bigger and heavier. Their
competition is bringing out pancake lenses, but a single Nikon lens can
now weigh more than a Leica M9 with three lenses.

Nikon has never figured out that people want high ISO, either.

Nikon dumped their MF camera while Leica came out with the S2.

Almost every point & shoot company out there now has a somewhat
waterproof camera, but not Nikon. Nikon's top of the line DSLRs still
do not have sensor dust removal.

So while Ken seems to have gone off the deep end to the point where his
hatred of Nikon seems pathological, I would say that Nikon is certainly
accommodating him by providing him a lot to complain about.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 15th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"Me" wrote in message
Ken's really on form today.

"As an historical note, Leica has been making 35mm cameras and lenses
since the 1920s.

Nikon never made cameras until the late 1940s, or after after World War
II. Prior to and during WWII, Nikon instead specialized in making
instruments for mass destruction: long-range rangefinders for artillery,
military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships, and aircraft
bombsights. Nikon's instruments were instrumental in Japan's terrorist
attacks against America at Pearl Harbor

Which ones - they didn't use artillery, didn't sail closer than 200 miles
and you hardly need a precision sight to dive bomb something as large as a
battleship in broad daylight!

(there was no declaration of war, and the Japanese invented suicide
bombing using airplanes: kamikazes).

Nikon's warmongering divisions were disbanded after WWII, and the few guys
left at Nikon sat around and wondered what to do next (ref: Rotoloni)."

And Siemens actually had a factory inside Auswitch protected by electric
fences, similar to the one they still have around their premises just down
the road from me. Things have improved since the war but the company's
conduct is still criticised: -

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...arges/66535/on
http://www.managingautomation.com/ma..._Germany_32407
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...ption_charges_
http://www.economist.com/businessfin...ry_id=12814642
http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2008...rruption-case/
http://www.investmenttreatynews.org/...n-charges.aspx
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/st...line-item.html
http://priyo.com/tech/20081216/17358...uption-scandal
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Sieme...s_3 1453.html
etc.

Old September 15th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Me wrote:
Ken's really on form today.

A little nuttier than usual, actually. Probably doesn't get any
advertising bucks from them either.

Anyway, as he is a "who-needs-raw-anyway?" JPGer, I can't see why
needing more that 12 Mpic and APS-C matters that much in any case.
Old September 15th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
Ken's really on form today.

"As an historical note, Leica has been making 35mm cameras and lenses
since the 1920s.

Nikon never made cameras until the late 1940s, or after after World War
II. Prior to and during WWII, Nikon instead specialized in making
instruments for mass destruction: long-range rangefinders for artillery,
military binoculars, especially large ones used on ships, and aircraft
bombsights. Nikon's instruments were instrumental in Japan's terrorist
attacks against America at Pearl Harbor

Which ones - they didn't use artillery, didn't sail closer than 200 miles
and you hardly need a precision sight to dive bomb something as large as a
battleship in broad daylight!

Bombing ships, regardless of size, was never easy, bomb sight or not.
Old September 15th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"DG" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

So while Ken seems to have gone off the deep end to the point where his
hatred of Nikon seems pathological, I would say that Nikon is certainly
accommodating him by providing him a lot to complain about.

There isn't much to speak about in the Nikon world. D300s? Who
cares? D5000? yawn... I do like the 35mm f/1.8 and recommend it to
everyone. It's cheap and good.

If you can get one. I've had my order in for a while and no word yet on when
it will come.

Of course I could get one right now if I wanted to pay extra, but I'm
against doing that on principle and also as a tightwad.

I enjoy reading Ken but strobist is my everyday must read.

Interesting, thanks. Never heard of Strobist before.

Old September 15th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Every other camera company is boasting smaller and lighter. Nikon gets
bigger and heavier. Leica and Sony are going for fewer features and
simpler operation. Nikon seems to think your camera should take movies and
project them, manage your portfolio, make your phone calls and vacuum your
floors.

Yes, they are getting pretty silly. I thought adding WiFi to Coolpixes was
silly, and GPS seems even more so -- especially if it takes two minutes or
so for acquisition as the TomTom in my car does. The newest Coolpixes have
an "anti-blink" feature and a mode that only shoots when the subject smiles.
(I haven't actually tried that one yet.)

Even Nikon's styling on their cameras, especially their point & shoots, is
awful.

I LIKE the styling on most new Coolpixes (not the "wave" style). What don't
you like about it?

[ . . . ]

Almost every point & shoot company out there now has a somewhat waterproof
camera, but not Nikon.

Get a digital conversion for your Nikonos. ;-)

Seriously, I thought Pentax had the waterproof-camera market so wrapped up I
don't know why anyone else would bother. Someone who's in deadly earnest
about waterproofing is probably going to get a housing anyway, aren't they?
I don't know anyone who wants to take pictures in the swimming pool, and I
should think Nikon's weather sealing on their higher-priced cameras would be
good enough to handle a little rain from time to time.

Nikon's top of the line DSLRs still do not have sensor dust removal.

Really? The cheaper ones do. I have no idea about what's happening at the
top of the line.

Old September 15th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

C J Campbell wrote:

That said, Nikon really does need to take a look at its marketing. The
12 MP D700 is priced higher than 18 and 21 MP cameras from Sony and
Canon. That is just stupid.

Kindly note that with Canon, the 1D Mark III (10.1 MPix) costs $3999 and
the 5D Mark II (21 MPix) costs $2699, or 2/3rds, according
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=111

Every other camera company is boasting smaller and lighter.

The 5D2 weights 810g, the smaller, crop-frame 7D weights 820g ...

Leica and Sony are going for fewer features and
simpler operation. Nikon seems to think your camera should take movies
and project them, manage your portfolio, make your phone calls and
vacuum your floors.

Canon also adds features, like taking movies ...

Which Nikon does vacuum the floors and makes phone calls?

Actually, neither company is adding all the features I want --- or
do you know of one camera where I can program in the relationship
(or even multiple relationships, say one specially for sports)
of aperture, exposure time and ISO setting chosen for a given
amount of light and focal length ...

Nikon's lenses are constantly getting bigger and heavier.

Longer and faster lenses with VR usually are bigger and
heavier than shorter, slower non-VR lenses.

Their
competition is bringing out pancake lenses, but a single Nikon lens can
now weigh more than a Leica M9 with three lenses.

Canon pancake lenses?
Leica is competition? Which DSLRs do they offer?

Nikon has never figured out that people want high ISO, either.

.... and thus no Nikon ever goes beyond outlandish ISO 800,
right?

Nikon dumped their MF camera while Leica came out with the S2.

You cannot focus manually with Nikon? Really?

Almost every point & shoot company out there now has a somewhat
waterproof camera, but not Nikon.

Use an underwater housing and be more than somewhat waterproof.

Nikon's top of the line DSLRs still do not have sensor dust removal.

They also don't have smile detect auto-focussing and
-triggering. Where's that Leica sensor dust removal?

So while Ken seems to have gone off the deep end to the point where his
hatred of Nikon seems pathological, I would say that Nikon is certainly
accommodating him by providing him a lot to complain about.

Note that Nikon cameras cannot be used as game consoles or
cars either.

-Wolfgang