Lens question

Old September 21st 04, 02:48 PM
Chris

Default Lens question

Hello all,

I am hoping you can verify a couple of points for me regarding the use
of additional lenses on my digital cameras.

I have a JVC digital camcorder with a 37mm lens and a Kyocera digital
camera with a 49mm lens. I would like to buy a wide angle lens -
preferably one I can use on both cameras - if that is possible?

Am I right in thinking that any lens with a screw thread ( and a
suitable stepping ring ) would fit regardless of whether it is made
for a Cannon/Nikon/Olymus etc?

Also am I right in thinking it would be better to get a larger lens (
49mm or above ) and step DOWN to the JVC 37mm?

Any and all advice is very much appreicated as I have not been able to
find the info I need in my searches.

Regards,

Chris
www.MagnoTherapyUK.com

Independent Distributor - Ecoflow Ltd
Drug free pain relief for humans, horses and hounds
or your money back!

Remove 'underscore' and add an underscore to reply
Old September 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Chris

Sorry about the signature, forgot to cancel it
Old September 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Chris

Sorry about the signature, forgot to cancel it
Old September 21st 04, 04:07 PM
Nostrobino

"Chris" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am hoping you can verify a couple of points for me regarding the use
of additional lenses on my digital cameras.

I have a JVC digital camcorder with a 37mm lens and a Kyocera digital
camera with a 49mm lens.

Just a terminology correction: You mean those cameras have lenses threaded
for 37mm and 49mm filters, respectively, correct? When you say "37mm lens"
that phrasing would normally mean a lens with a 37mm focal length.

I would like to buy a wide angle lens -
preferably one I can use on both cameras - if that is possible?

It's probably possible, but how satisfactory it would be is another
question.

Am I right in thinking that any lens with a screw thread ( and a
suitable stepping ring ) would fit regardless of whether it is made
for a Cannon/Nikon/Olymus etc?

If the *lens itself* is threaded for the accessory, then yes, it should fit
with a suitable step-down ring.

Also am I right in thinking it would be better to get a larger lens (
49mm or above ) and step DOWN to the JVC 37mm?

Right, if you're determined to use the same accessory lens on both. Doing it
the other way would be likely to cause severe vignetting, if it worked at
all. However, this means using a larger and *heavier* accessory lens on the
camcorder, which could conceivably cause mechanical problems.

Any and all advice is very much appreicated as I have not been able to
find the info I need in my searches.

You would be well advised to use accessory lenses (if any) made by the
camera manufacturer for use on the specific camera. Such lenses will
invariably be more expensive than other-brand lenses made to fit a variety
of cameras, but will almost certainly give better results. Using a cheaper
accessory lens may give you such poor definition and/or vignetting problems
as to make it just a waste of money. If you're determined to do this, it
would be best to try out the lens on your camera(s) before buying it.

N.

Old September 22nd 04, 12:08 AM
Chris

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and yes I did mean what you said about lens size
and not focal length - newbie error.

I thought it might not be the best idea to use the same lens for both
cameras. Problem is as you have mentioned - finding a lens by the
same manufacturer for my particular model is proving difficult ( even
the JVC - can find other models but not mine and it isn't very
old...the Kyocera is new but the same applies ) so I thought that one
made for/by another well known camera manufacturer might suffice.

Chris