Why not slower ISOs?

Old September 19th 04, 02:48 AM
Mark Weaver

"Bob Alexander" wrote in message
om...
A short time ago, I was photographing a waterfall, fiddling with
neutral density filters (screw them on, screw them off, be careful not
to drop them, make sure they're clean, etc.) and I thought that life
would be a lot easier if a digital camera had arbitrarily low ISO
equivalent settings, e.g. ISO 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, etc. We would all
save the expense and trouble of buying and using ND filters.

The Canon Powershot Pro1 does, effectively, have that feature with a
built-in ND filter.

Mark

Old September 19th 04, 03:20 AM
Justin Thyme

"Bob Alexander" wrote in message
om...
A short time ago, I was photographing a waterfall, fiddling with
neutral density filters (screw them on, screw them off, be careful not
to drop them, make sure they're clean, etc.) and I thought that life
would be a lot easier if a digital camera had arbitrarily low ISO
equivalent settings, e.g. ISO 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, etc. We would all
save the expense and trouble of buying and using ND filters.

I know that high ISO equivalents introduce problems with noise, but is
there any technological reason digital cameras don't have low ISO
settings, or is it just that no one has thought of it yet?

The basics of how a CCD works is that when a sensor element in the CCD is
subjected to light, it generates a voltage which is then amplified, then
converted to a digital value. To get the higher ISO equivalent, they
increase the amount of amplification prior to converting to digital (the ISO
1600 & 3200 that is available as a custom function in some cameras is
actually achieved by digital amplification but that's another matter). There
is a certain amount of light that causes the CCD sensor to emit a 100%
signal - the ISO rating of film that also saturates at that level is how the
ISO equivalency is calculated. To achieve higher ISO equivalence, the
amplification is increased, so to double the ISO, bright white is achieved
if the sensor achieves 50% light, etc. To achieve a lower equivalent ISO
would require lowering the amplification, but the sensor has already
saturated, so all we would get is an image with the shadows having the
eqivalent of the low ISO, but anything brighter than 50% grey would only
appear as 50% grey.
So the other alternative is to design the actual sensor so that is less
sensitive to light so that the sensor itself is rated at ISO 25 for example.
The problem here however is that to get the higher ISO's will still produce
more noise. So while an ISO100 sensor will give acceptable results up to
ISO800, an ISO25 sensor would only give acceptable results to ISO100.
Obviously that wouldn't be acceptable to most users.
Personally, the way I would like a DSLR to be designed, would be to have
interchangeable sensors. That way we could put in a native ISO25 sensor, or
a native ISO1600 sensor, or a B&W sensor, IR sensor etc, and make the DSLR
truly as versatile as a cheap film body. I suspect however that the sensor
probably makes up a big slice of the cost of a camera.

Thanks,
Bob Alexander

Old September 19th 04, 05:27 AM
Bruce Murphy

"Justin Thyme" writes:

"Bob Alexander" wrote in message
om...
A short time ago, I was photographing a waterfall, fiddling with
neutral density filters (screw them on, screw them off, be careful not
to drop them, make sure they're clean, etc.) and I thought that life
would be a lot easier if a digital camera had arbitrarily low ISO
equivalent settings, e.g. ISO 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, etc. We would all
save the expense and trouble of buying and using ND filters.

I know that high ISO equivalents introduce problems with noise, but is
there any technological reason digital cameras don't have low ISO
settings, or is it just that no one has thought of it yet?

The basics of how a CCD works is that when a sensor element in the CCD is
subjected to light, it generates a voltage which is then amplified, then
converted to a digital value.

This is misleading. AS a CCD is exposed to light, photons coming in
(mostly) generate electrons which are stored in the bin for each
pixel.

When reading it out, this stored charge is converted to a voltage and
blah blah blah.

However, these bins have a *finite size* and can only be increased in
size by various material tricks (difficult) or physically increasing
the size of the pixel/bin. Consequently, higher resolution sensors
tend to have smaller bins.