Avoid ACDSee unless you own shares in Tylenol!

Old September 21st 04, 05:49 PM
James Addison

Default Avoid ACDSee unless you own shares in Tylenol!

Matt,

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Sweet mother of pearl, I've just the most exasperating time with a
software product since Windows itself. I hold little hope at this point
that anyone at ACD Systems will actually receive the message I left via
the support form on their site, so I'll put a copy here, because I know
ACD people read this group.

First of all, I am really very sorry to hear of your woes with ACD Systems.
I appreciate that you have shared any and all of your thoughts with us,
regardless of the medium you chose (or were forced to choose). I try to
monitor this newsgroup on a daily basis, and am glad to have seen your
message today. I have forwarded your newsgroup posting to the appropriate
people.

snipped

At some point during all this mess, I tried to sign up for your forums
in an attempt to find some help. I gave it a username and email
address, and after some time, it finally bombed out with a server-side
SMTP error.

I tried AGAIN to create the userid, only to be told that userid was in
use. So I tried a new one, with the same email address, and was
informed that the email address was in use. Finally I tried my
secondary id choice with a different email address...and again got the
SMTP error.

At this point, NEITHER address has received the promised reply with
login password.

After wasting half the afternoon on this, I'm not the least bit
interested in even trying ACDSee anymore... going through this many
hoops just to get things installed and STILL not have them functioning
as advertised has pretty much destroyed my confidence in this software,
and my experience trying to connect to the support forums has eroded
what little hope was left for your support mechanisms.

I followed your steps on the forums, and had the same troubles. As I've
said, I've forwarded your posting to our IT department, which has assured me
that they are now working on the problem. It will be fixed, as soon as
possible.

I'm crossing all available appendages at this point that this message
actually goes out.
/paste

Now that message appeared to hit the limit of the text-entry box... upon
pressing the Submit button, I received the ultimate insult: the support
form told me that "One or more required fields have not been completed."
The field indicated: THIS VERY PROBLEM DESCRIPTION FIELD!!

The kicker: when I removed the last line, the message submitted
successfully... or so the site claimed. I'm not holding my breath.

I would hazard a guess (and people will be looking into this) that the
length of your text was too long for the form to handle, and an incorrect
error message was displayed. We'll look into this.

I hope that you will give ACD Systems another chance, sometime in the
future. If not, rest assured that we will do our best to fix the technical
problems you have experienced, so that other users can avoid similar
headaches. Thank you for your comments and concerns - they are valuable,
and we are always listening - we just need to ensure that the message gets
through.

--
James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca

Old September 22nd 04, 03:31 AM
Wehs

I've had similar problems and no response...ACDSee 6 takes a Nikon NEF (RAW)
file and converts it from 10 MB to about 50K...tiny and unusable. I took off
version 6 and reinstalled v. 4, but am now using Jasc Photo Album for viewing
and managment.

Old September 22nd 04, 08:31 AM
DM

I've been an ACDsee user since the old 3.1 days. In fact I still use
3.1 on my PC at home. The later versions, specially 6.x were so buggy
and crash prone that I simply couldn't use them. I switched back to
the old 3.x and they continue to work fine.