Transfer glass slides onto CD?

Old February 19th 04, 10:37 PM
Anon

Default Transfer glass slides onto CD?

Hi, I live in the UK and have taken a huge stack of colour 'glass' slides to
a couple of shops such as Boots (who use the Kodak service), but have been
told they cannot be transferred onto CD or prints, because they are glass.
They can only do the plastic ones.

Does anyone know more about this, or where I can get this transfer done
relatively quickly (within 1 week) in London?

Cheers,

Samuel

Old February 19th 04, 11:20 PM
Ken Luther

FWIW --

Have you thought about scanning them into a picture editor of some sort, and
digitizing them that way.

Just a thought.

good luck.

Old February 20th 04, 12:57 AM
Anon

Thanks, but how would I scan them? With my normal 1200dpi flatbed scanner?
I wouldn't think that would give good enough resolution?

Old February 20th 04, 01:41 AM
Ric

Samual

If the slides are the same size as the plastic ones you shold be able to use
a flatbed with a slide scanning attachment.. I just got a Canon 5000F and
you would not believe the quality. Scaned a Kodachrome from 1957 then
printed it out on my I550 and you would not believe the quality and my scan
was only at 600 dpi.

Ric

Old February 20th 04, 09:27 AM
Anon

Thanks. So could I just use my standard flatbed, and put all the slides on
the scanner, close the lid, and hit scan? I don't have any special
attachments and don;t think they do one.

Samuel

. ..

Old February 21st 04, 10:35 PM
Paul Coen

Actually, you can buy a third-party unit as well if you already have a
scanner. Satter (part of Omega) made a unit that they called a "Visionscan"
that provided a good backlight. You can scan transparencies or negatives up
to 5" x 4" with it. The only downside vs. some of the integrated units is
that there's no feed mechansim. The plus is the flexibility over the
cheaper units that are really only geared for 35mm.

It's getting harder to find. I think Calumet still has them, and Central
Camera in Chicago (www.central-camera.com) still lists the part as well.
B&H and Adorama don't list them any longer, and the Satter/Omega web site
doesn't mention the product.

On 2/20/2004 11:55 AM, Ric wrote:

In order to scan slides you will need a scanner with a secondary light
source above the slide so that the light will pas through the slide and be
detected by the scan head. You will also need a scanner with some device to
hold the slides. On the Canon 500F this is just a simple plastic holder
which sits in the middle of the platen and holds the slides under the light
source in the top of the scanner.

hope this helps
"Anon" wrote in message

Thanks. So could I just use my standard flatbed, and put all the slides

on

the scanner, close the lid, and hit scan? I don't have any special
attachments and don;t think they do one.

Samuel

m...