Nikon D800 versus Canon 5D Mark III - the clear winner is ... [DxO Labs]

Old April 20th 12, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

Default Nikon D800 versus Canon 5D Mark III - the clear winner is ... [DxO Labs]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:49:35 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

The results speak for themselves. Nikon wins by *miles*.

Go to:
http://tinyurl.com/ctfepwr
or:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/795%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/792%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon

then click on "Compare up to 3 items" to the right of the thumbnails
of the two camera bodies.

Note that the DxO results are independent of the pixel count, so the
difference between the Nikon's 36 MP and the Canon's 22 MP is not
taken into account. A fine achievement by Nikon.

What on earth were Canon thinking of ???

Video. And, like some wedding shooters I've read about who can't
handle 100,000 36MP images a year.

Honestly, I find Canon's concentration on video disappointing. They
seem to have forgotten the still shooter in the last couple of years.
Old April 20th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
Helen wrote:
I'm not into video, my focus is still photography. What Canon camera
would you or anyone else for that matter, recommend?

The D800.

I find the Canon FX system from the 1960's to be a pretty solid performer. I
especially like the 1200mm lens; of course a sturdy tripod is essential.

Old April 21st 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"RichA" wrote in message
On Apr 20, 12:27 pm, "K W Hart" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

news
Helen wrote:
I'm not into video, my focus is still photography. What Canon camera
would you or anyone else for that matter, recommend?

The D800.

I find the Canon FX system from the 1960's to be a pretty solid performer.
especially like the 1200mm lens; of course a sturdy tripod is essential.

Rather than pay $99,000 for the 1200mm Canon used (last price i saw
for one), I'd get a top flight apochromat telescope with a field-
flattener which I'd mount in a hollowed out Canon 300mm f2.8 AF lens.
The moving field-flattener would serve both as a focal length reducer
and focusing element. An f5.6 speed should be achievable with near
zero aberrations. My guess is that it would cost about $15,000 to
have it put together.

"$99,000 for the 1200mm Canon used "
I have three 1200mm Canon lenses for my 500+ Canon FX cameras, and the most
I paid for any one was about $3000. About 10% of that was shipping and US
Customs fees.
Although if you do have an authoritative valuation of $99K for the lens,
that would be great, It would more than double the value of my collection.

--
Ken Hart

Old April 21st 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

bull****.

Although if you do have an authoritative valuation of $99K for the lens,
that would be great, It would more than double the value of my collection.

canon, and it won't.
Old April 21st 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , K W Hart
wrote:

"$99,000 for the 1200mm Canon used "

I have three 1200mm Canon lenses for my 500+ Canon FX cameras, and the
most
I paid for any one was about $3000. About 10% of that was shipping and US
Customs fees.

bull****.

Although if you do have an authoritative valuation of $99K for the lens,
that would be great, It would more than double the value of my
collection.

canon, and it won't.

"Bull****"?
I'm not the one hiding behind a fake email address. You have sufficient
information to find me on Facebook and read about my Canon FX collection:
500+ camera bodies and 800+ lenses; one or more of every lens that Canon
made for the FX back in the late 1960's. (Obviously, the bulk of the lenses
are the 50mm f/1.8 lens that was normally supplied with the Canon FX.) I
don't have a personal website because I am a film photographer, and the
internet does not lend itself to film; I am loathe to digitize my work and
lose the quality present on the negatives.

Would you like to provide an actual email address so that I can send you my
collection inventory list (in OpenOffice format)? Or would you prefer to get
the inventory from my insurance agent?

--
Ken Hart

Old April 21st 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , K W Hart
wrote:

[...]

post a link.

anyone who collects canon lenses would be *well* aware of the 1200mm
lens in question, it's original price and what it sells for on the used
market.

you must have something else.

I don't have a personal website because I am a film photographer, and the
internet does not lend itself to film; I am loathe to digitize my work and
lose the quality present on the negatives.

digital is much higher quality than film ever was, so you won't lose
anything by scanning.

Old April 21st 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
C. Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:48:40 -0700, RichA wrote:

On Apr 20, 12:27Â*pm, "K W Hart" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

news
Helen wrote:
I'm not into video, my focus is still photography. Â*What Canon camera
would you or anyone else for that matter, recommend?

The D800.

I find the Canon FX system from the 1960's to be a pretty solid
performer. I especially like the 1200mm lens; of course a sturdy tripod
is essential.

Rather than pay $99,000 for the 1200mm Canon used (last price i saw for
one), I'd get a top flight apochromat telescope with a field- flattener
which I'd mount in a hollowed out Canon 300mm f2.8 AF lens.
The moving field-flattener would serve both as a focal length reducer
and focusing element. An f5.6 speed should be achievable with near zero
aberrations. My guess is that it would cost about $15,000 to have it
put together.

You could get the latest 800mm lens with a 1.4 extender Mk111 for under
£16000 total mrp - price in stores would be quite a bit cheaper, maybe a
couple of thousand pounds less in some shopw.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old April 21st 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-20 23:34 , K W Hart wrote:
wrote in message
In , K W Hart
wrote:

"$99,000 for the 1200mm Canon used"

I have three 1200mm Canon lenses for my 500+ Canon FX cameras, and the
most
I paid for any one was about $3000. About 10% of that was shipping and US
Customs fees.

bull****.

Although if you do have an authoritative valuation of $99K for the lens,
that would be great, It would more than double the value of my
collection.

canon, and it won't.

"Bull****"?
I'm not the one hiding behind a fake email address. You have sufficient
information to find me on Facebook and read about my Canon FX collection:
500+ camera bodies and 800+ lenses; one or more of every lens that Canon

nospam is referring to the Canon 1200mm f/5.6 of which there are less
than 20 in the world and most are leased to qualified lessors. The
purchase price was about $115,000 last time I looked.

If you have one, I'd be quite surprised.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 21st 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:52:18 -0700 (PDT), Helen
wrote:
: I'm not into video, my focus is still photography. What Canon camera
: would you or anyone else for that matter, recommend?

I'm pretty happy with my 7D's. Right now, the 7D may be the Canon that comes
the closest to living up to its price. (Maybe the 1DX would; but if the
release date keeps slipping, how will we ever know?)

BTW, did I read the other day that the new 24-70 f/2.8 is also still not out?
If so, what are early adopters using for a walking-around lens on their 5D3's?
For the 7D we have the excellent 17-55 f/2.8, but many people say that the old
24-70 is a dog. In any case, nobody is going to buy the old 24-70 for his 5D3
while waiting for the new lens. (I'm assuming, of course, that for someone who
actually bought a 5D3, the price of the new lens is no barrier.) If your 5D3
purchase represents your entry into full-frame, maybe you don't even own any
FF walker.

Bob
Old April 21st 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

[...]

don't forget he said he had not one, but *three* of them.