Will a new computer help?

Old February 22nd 12, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Default Will a new computer help?

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Adobe transferred my CS3 license Gratis.

--- snip

I thought that when you buy software it can be installed on all of your
computers because you can only use one at a time. It's a single user.
--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

Old February 22nd 12, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 00:48:53 -0800, "Alan Justice"
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:30:36 -0800, "Alan Justice"
wrote:

"Noons" wrote in message
Alan Justice wrote,on my timestamp of 20/02/2012 5:05 PM:

So why is your 2.9 GHz much faster than my 2.8? Is it the additional
RAM (8
GB vs 2), or is it the type of RAM? (SDRAM vs DDR3 - what's the
difference?)

DDR3 is a heck of a lot faster than SDRAM. And given you are procesing

lot of
very large images, the processor cache becomes almost immaterial, which
makes
the memory speed the major determinant on hos fast things will go.
As well as disk access speed, of course. Although that one can be
improved with
more cache, hence the 8GB. But be careful: going 8GB means you'll have

go
64-bit OS as well to take full advantage of them. 4GB is plenty if you
stay
with 32-bit. And there is really no reason why you should need 64-bit

for
the
images you are processing.

How can I tell what my disk access speed is? My original one died

(backed
up!), so I got a "WD 320 Gb SATA". How fast is fast? My plan is to

either
get a new computer with a 2 TB HD (and a 2TB backup), or to just add on a
couple of 2TB to my current computer. Could either solve by slow
file-loading problem? Add-ons would be through USB 2.0.

I doubt if you have USB 2. At the best you will have USB 1.1.

What you are trying to do will improve the performance of your
computer in the same way you can improve the performance of your car
by fitting it with fat tires mounted on mag wheels.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004. But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?

If your computer was purchased in 2004 it very likely has USB 2. It
also probably has DDR memory and not just SDRAM. Your initial
description of it led me to believe it was older than that: hence all
my negative comments about its speed. Not withstanding that it will
still be slow compared with computers of today. My comments about the
tires probably still hold.

I have an external HDD on USB as a backup drive and, while it is not
dead slow, I would not like to rely on it for routine disk access.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 22nd 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Mxsmanic wrote:

Bruce writes:

Given that Windows 8 is imminent, would it not be worth waiting a few
months and upgrading direct to that version?

No. Windows 8 looks even worse that Vista. There's no reason to "upgrade" to a
more recent OS unless you want to fill Microsoft's pockets.

Windows 8 seems to me based on that little I have seen from the beta,
a move to add on more touch functionality on Windows 7. It looked
quite good.

I have a touch slate running Windows 7 that actually works
quite well without a keyboard and mouse. It has usb ports where
keyboard, mouse or external drives can be used.

I agree that Windows 8 will likely have a short product life there were a lot
of changes and not all of them are going to stand the test of time.

w..

Old February 22nd 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete A

On 2012-02-20 21:34:14 +0000, Alan Browne said:

[...]
If you get a Mac, order it with minimal memory and update that yourself
with mail order modules (various good sources). Much cheaper (no
effect on warranty).

I wish I hadn't done that :-(

Some Macs have only two memory slots (both of which must be filled). It
would've been much cheaper to order my machine with more memory rather
than replace it later.

Old February 22nd 12, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004.
But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file

access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?

If your computer was purchased in 2004 it very likely has USB 2. It
also probably has DDR memory and not just SDRAM. Your initial
description of it led me to believe it was older than that: hence all
my negative comments about its speed. Not withstanding that it will
still be slow compared with computers of today. My comments about the
tires probably still hold.

I have an external HDD on USB as a backup drive and, while it is not
dead slow, I would not like to rely on it for routine disk access.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Right again. Invoice days DDR SDRAM. Clearly I need help with this stuff,
just understanding the basics.

I took computer programming in the 60's. We had to drive our punch cards to
a city an hour away to run them. In graduate school I wrote my own programs
to analyze my data, rather than try to make packaged statistics conform to
my needs (SPSS, BMDP).

But now the makers of the technology don't want us to get comfortable with
anything: As soon as we are we have to buy the "upgrade" in order to make
it all work. So I resist. I'm still using a Windows 98 machine for my
internet access.

Old February 22nd 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

"Alan Justice" writes:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Adobe transferred my CS3 license Gratis.

--- snip

I thought that when you buy software it can be installed on all of your
computers because you can only use one at a time. It's a single user.

There are different license agreements used by different companies, in
terms of what's "legal". (And shrink-wrap licenses have been upheld at
least to some extent in court, which is appalling.)

Photoshop allows me to install on two computers, or perhaps more if I
"deactivate" one of the licenses. Since they use central validation,
they can somewhat enforce this (you have to crack the whole DRM
scheme).

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD has a one-use-at-a-time license, no rules
about number of systems installed on.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 22nd 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 03:54 , Alan Justice wrote:
"Alan wrote in message

Adobe transferred my CS3 license Gratis.

--- snip

I thought that when you buy software it can be installed on all of your
computers because you can only use one at a time. It's a single user.

It is in the sense that I "decommissioned" the PC version (and faxed
them an affidavit saying so at their request - Adobe is run by lawyers).

But the license DOES allow for two installations - so I have it
installed on my Mac and my SO's MacBook Air such that I can use it on
personal travel (Bridge import, minor edits to send stuff to friends and
so on).

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old February 22nd 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-20 21:34:14 +0000, Alan Browne said:

[...]
If you get a Mac, order it with minimal memory and update that
yourself with mail order modules (various good sources). Much cheaper
(no effect on warranty).

I wish I hadn't done that :-(

Some Macs have only two memory slots (both of which must be filled). It
would've been much cheaper to order my machine with more memory rather
than replace it later.

I can't disagree more - at least at this point in time. Apple memory
options are expensive at sale time.

The current i7 iMac for example offers a doubling of memory from 4 to 8
GB for $210.

Replacing the 2x2 with 2x4 is less than $50 in the memory market.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1333DDR3S08S/

Replacing the 2x2 with 2x8 (16 GB) is $117 at the first vendor I
stumbled on. That option from Apple is an additional $630.

Old February 22nd 12, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-22 03:48 , Alan Justice wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004. But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?

FW 800 is very fast compared to USB 1 (and 2).

USB 3 is the flavour that is coming out a lot on PC's and many external
drives support it.

For PC's, e-SATA is very fast.

For Macs, the new Thunderbolt is extremely fast - but external drives so
far are very expensive with Thunderbolt. (Macs don't support eSATA
unfortunately - nor (to date) USB 3).

Old February 23rd 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"Alan Justice" wrote in message

snip
Oh yeah, sorry. My invoice does not say which USB. Pchased Aug. 2004.
But
the question is will that type of port allow for a fast enough file access
(using Canon DPP) with a drive with a fast access speed?
--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

USB is not the fastest way to access a disk drive. There are two ways that
digital devices can communicate: serial and parallel. Serial comunication,
such as USB, sends one bit after another. Parallel communication sends
bytes, which are multiple bits (8, 16, 32 or in some cases, 64) at the same
time. If a device has a cable with a lot of wires, and a connector with a
lot of pins, it is likely parallel- for example, an IDE hard drive has
(IIRC) a 32 pin connector. It sends (IIRC) 16 bits at one time. A USB device
would send those same 16 bits one after another.

I have a connector device that allows me to connect a bare IDE drive to my
USB port. It is painfully slow. If I were to install that same IDE drive
inside the computer and connect it through the hard drive controller, it
would be substantially faster.

--
Ken Hart

Computer Irby Digital Photography 194 March 19th 07 01:38 PM
Computer?? jd Digital Photography 46 October 23rd 06 10:58 AM
For the computer geeks.... secheese Digital Photography 1 January 12th 05 04:05 AM
2 Scanners To One Computer HRosita Digital Photography 5 January 10th 05 10:38 PM
2 Scanners To One Computer Tim Forehand Digital Photography 16 January 10th 05 03:23 PM