Switched from Windows to Linux on old netbook. What a difference

Old February 22nd 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Switched from Windows to Linux on old netbook. What a difference

On 02/22/2018 03:47 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Same here. I have several machines that are 10-15 years old, and
severely under-powered. They bogged down terribly with WinXP, but now
run great with Lubuntu (a light-weight version of Ubuntu).

Why bother about 10-15 years old computers when you can buy a new one
for 200 Euro?

If that is still too expensive, you could buy a Raspberry Pi and put
Linux on it.

I haven't done the Euro to Dollar conversion, but I haven't paid three
digits for any of my old computers.

then whatever you have is junk.

That's quite presumptuous, since you have no idea what brands/models
computers I have. What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
your statement, Apple is junk.

quality costs money.

That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
dock at the right time.

Just because a widget is old is no reason to scrap it, especially if it
still works well enough to use.

then you must not be doing much.

On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
I'm not doing much.

By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
poet e. e. cummings?

--
Ken Hart

Old February 23rd 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Same here. I have several machines that are 10-15 years old, and
severely under-powered. They bogged down terribly with WinXP, but now
run great with Lubuntu (a light-weight version of Ubuntu).

Why bother about 10-15 years old computers when you can buy a new one
for 200 Euro?

If that is still too expensive, you could buy a Raspberry Pi and put
Linux on it.

I haven't done the Euro to Dollar conversion, but I haven't paid three
digits for any of my old computers.

then whatever you have is junk.

That's quite presumptuous, since you have no idea what brands/models
computers I have.

it doesn't mater what brands/models they are.

anything that is 'bogged down terribly with winxp' is junk. your words.
winxp is hardly resource intensive.

the reality is that they're long obsolete and cannot run modern
software.

What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
your statement, Apple is junk.

a 15 year old mac is also junk, except that it won't be 'bogged down
terribly' running mac os x from its era.

quality costs money.

That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
dock at the right time.

5 year old networking equipment isn't the issue.

Just because a widget is old is no reason to scrap it, especially if it
still works well enough to use.

then you must not be doing much.

On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
I'm not doing much.

By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
poet e. e. cummings?

ad hominem.
Old February 23rd 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 02/22/2018 07:08 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 16.04 is fairly modern, and is what I am running now on
all my "long obsolete" hardware.
At the time I switched to Linux- (I don't recall the date, but it was
around the time that XP was at announced end-of-life), most of my XP
computers had trouble opening Facebook. After switching to Linux (then
Lubuntu 14.04), my oldest and least powerful machines had no difficulty
with that metric.

What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
your statement, Apple is junk.

a 15 year old mac is also junk, except that it won't be 'bogged down
terribly' running mac os x from its era.

Again, I'm running reasonably modern Linux on older ("junk") machines
with no difficulty.

quality costs money.

That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
dock at the right time.

5 year old networking equipment isn't the issue.

Five year old networking gear is only a recent example. I've acquired
computers through corporate salvaging for little, if any money over the
years. Five year old computer hardware has a lot of life (and quality)
left in it.

Just because a widget is old is no reason to scrap it, especially if it
still works well enough to use.

then you must not be doing much.

On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
I'm not doing much.

By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
poet e. e. cummings?

ad hominem.

e. e. cummings did sometimes use upper-case letters. Perhaps you might
consider doing the same.

--
Ken Hart

Old February 23rd 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

ubuntu may be modern, but the hardware is too old to run modern
software, which mostly doesn't exist for linux anyway. you can't run
photoshop or lightroom under linux, even if you bought a brand new
computer.

old hardware might be ok for something like a (very) low demand server,
but that's about it.

At the time I switched to Linux- (I don't recall the date, but it was
around the time that XP was at announced end-of-life), most of my XP
computers had trouble opening Facebook. After switching to Linux (then
Lubuntu 14.04), my oldest and least powerful machines had no difficulty
with that metric.

that's not winxp bogging down, that's a web browser bogging down, which
most likely was not the same browser on each, rendering the comparison
entirely bogus.

What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
your statement, Apple is junk.

a 15 year old mac is also junk, except that it won't be 'bogged down
terribly' running mac os x from its era.

Again, I'm running reasonably modern Linux on older ("junk") machines
with no difficulty.

running linux is meaningless. what matters is what apps you're using.

the main problem with linux is the sheer lack of quality software,
photoshop and lightroom being two key examples that do not exist on
linux.

quality costs money.

That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
dock at the right time.

5 year old networking equipment isn't the issue.

Five year old networking gear is only a recent example. I've acquired
computers through corporate salvaging for little, if any money over the
years. Five year old computer hardware has a lot of life (and quality)
left in it.

there's a reason why they dumped them.

5 year old hardware is also not the 10-15 year old hardware that you
originally mentioned. goalpost movement disqualified.

old hardware has its place, but falls flat with mainstream tasks.

i have a 15 year old mac running a webcam 24/7 (with uptime over two
years, non-stop). it's a very low demand task that's well suited for a
machine that old.

although possible, running an older version of photoshop on it would
not be pleasant, particularly since a compatible version can't open
photos from cameras made in the past decade or so. that's an instant
show stopper right there.

Just because a widget is old is no reason to scrap it, especially if it
still works well enough to use.

then you must not be doing much.

On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
I'm not doing much.

By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
poet e. e. cummings?

ad hominem.

e. e. cummings did sometimes use upper-case letters. Perhaps you might
consider doing the same.

perhaps you might consider sticking to the topic and maybe even
learning something in the process.
Old February 23rd 18, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2018-02-23 03:30, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

Of course you can, if you find it.

[...]

Because nobody would buy them. Too bad quality software.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old February 23rd 18, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-02-22 20:47:46 +0000, nospam said:

quality costs money.

If "they" can get away with charging premium for "branded" crap "they" will...
--
teleportation kills

Old February 23rd 18, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 16.04 is fairly modern, and is what I am running now on
all my "long obsolete" hardware.

ubuntu may be modern, but the hardware is too old to run modern
software, which mostly doesn't exist for linux anyway. you can't run
photoshop or lightroom under linux, even if you bought a brand new
computer.

Of course you can, if you find it.

you can't find what doesn't exist, and with rare exception, what does
exist is nowhere near as good as what's on mac/windows.

Again, I'm running reasonably modern Linux on older ("junk") machines
with no difficulty.

running linux is meaningless. what matters is what apps you're using.

the main problem with linux is the sheer lack of quality software,
photoshop and lightroom being two key examples that do not exist on
linux.

Because nobody would buy them.

true, because linux users are cheapskates and think everything should
be free.

writing software for linux is *not* profitable so few companies bother,
which is why state of the art software is mac/windows and ios/android.

Too bad quality software.

nonsense. photoshop and lightroom are the standard to which others are
compared.

the linux equivalents, the gimp and darktable, are garbage, especially
the gimp, which still cannot do things photoshop could do 20+ years ago
as well as being *substantially* slower than photoshop on the very same
hardware.