Photoshopping school photos

Old November 30th 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Photoshopping school photos

On 11/30/2017 05:56 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 30 November 2017 02:59:00 UTC, PeterN wrote:
On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.
Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.

Decades+, someone I knew fixed blemishes before WWII.

In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living.

Ah yes as long as it's honest.

They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

Well it does depend on the reason doesn't it.
Just supose you were hiring a model from a catologue of some sort.
You foudn this beautiful girl who looked exactly right for the photo shoot you wanted so you email her and a week later she arrives, trouble is the photoshopped image yuo based yuor assemement on isn't quite right.
In fact this slime-sleek girl is actually over weight if not obese, only has half her teeth, her hair is al matted and she has tatooes on her body which you didn't see in the picture, but donl;t worry with a day or so photoshopping you can get her to look exactly like you want.

Then there's the peer pressure your next door daughters parents gave $500 to have her picture taken and 'adjusted' so you should do the same.
Not that it's the photographers problem.

But I do see this as another job NOT necessarily a photographers but a graphic artists job.

In the hair salon down the street, there is a sign in the window: "I'm a
Beautician, not a Magician."

After seeing some of the clients, I suspect the owner should invest in a
hat and rabbit. It might be easier.

--
Ken Hart

Old November 30th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 11/30/2017 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
| In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
| commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
| to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
| images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

Sure. Though I was not aware that such things
were being done at the level of school photos.

I was only pointing out that this seems to be
neither the realm of the photographer nor of the
graphic artist. Like "fixing redeye", it's become a
one-click operation. I imagine publishing companies
probably have very advanced stuff to do it, so
that only one click give a movie star hips,
bright blue eyes, and air-brushed skin, while
thinning her chin to "feminize", maybe reshaping
her nose, etc. The program I got for free with PSP
claims to do most of that. I can hardly imagine
what Cosmo must use.

Once upon a time, skilled portrait photographers could handle most of
those things with creative lighting and posing.

--
Ken Hart

Old December 1st 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 04:35:03 -0800, Whisky-dave
wrote in :

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 21:13:22 UTC, peterN wrote:
On 11/29/2017 10:28 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
can have later repercussions.

That is our society. There are a lot of kids running around with
braces,
a lessor number get nose jobs, females, who can afford it get; face and
body lifts; including, but not limited to thigh reduction, breast
enlargement; breast reduction, etc. Doing this photographically is a
lot less intrusive, reversible, and expensive. And as I said earlier,
retouching of portraits and other images, is common practice.

So out of these two individuals, who would get the job as a model, would
it be the buck teech girl that had spent a large amount on hiring a
photoshop toucher-up-per or the plain girl that couldnlt afford such a
thing ?
Surely most of these jobs the hirer judges who they want as a model from
the pictures they present.

As a practical matter if two people with equal qualifications are
seeking a job, one is pimply faced and obese, with buck teeth, and the
other could be a model for Myron, There is little doubt in my mind that
the Myron model would get first dibs.

Why just supose the buck teeth girl spent a few grand on getting her
photos retouched ?

She or her boyfriend can do it. Price of admission: 10USD...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instabeauty-4-face-retouch/id1281876302

I am not saying that is morally
right, I am just saying that is how things are.

Do those employing models base their choices from photographs or real
life meetings ?

How big is the account?

Have you ever watched Americans next top model, I have. (other
countries top models are availble)

You don't say...
--
teleportation kills
Old December 2nd 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/29/2017 10:28 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 21:58:17 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 11/29/2017 9:34 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote

| Today, school photographers offer editing-at-a-cost. The local
| photographer charges $20 to whiten teeth, whiten the whites of the
| eyes, and remove minor blemishes. Other, more extensive services are
| available. If all the services are taken, the amount could be as much
| as $240. That might include taking braces off, restoring missing
| teeth, removal of tan lines, adjustments to the hair, etc.
|
| I've used "Photoshopping" in the Subject line, but some other software
| may be used.

I think that's not really a PS thing. There are
specific programs. When I bought PSP16
"Ultimate" version it came with Face Filter 3.
I never used it. It required me to register and I
had no interest in the functionality. But it's
one of a number of automated programs that
do what you're talking about. The difference
with PS is that these programs don't just provide
tools. They provide "wizards".

Face Filter describes functions like so:

Create a flawless complexion... skin smoothing...
blemish removal.

Beautifying tools. Basically graphical makeup.

Expression redefining. "Muscle based facial
morhing to create a desired expression".

I'd guess that the school photographers are
using such tools. Not skill with PS. Just feed in
the photo and get a picture of a more attractive,
similar looking person. On the other hand, like
plastic surgery it doesn't really quite work. The
personal character is lost and that's most of
what makes someone interesting.

It looks like my initial response to Tony did not get through.

It came through to me as email.

Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

I don't object to photographers making money, but I do see the
practice as somewhat objectionable. The message it gives to the kids
is that their appearance is of paramount importance to their parents.
You're teeth aren't brilliantly white in a photo? You don't live up
to my expectations. You're parents didn't pay to have that gap where
the baby tooth came out filled in with a fake tooth? They must not
love you.

To me that seems like a stretch. If a kid thinks he is not loved because
his parents didn't give him a material thing, I think there is a deeper
problem with the relationship.

When the demand for physical perfection starts that early in life it
can have later repercussions.

It sounds to me that you are conflating an absolute of perfection, with
making the best of what you are.
Lots of kids go to school wearing hand me downs. Is it a terrible thing
for the clothes to be neat and clean? Should the use of bleach and soap
be outlawed. If a kid stammers and stutters should he be denied speech
therapy.
Your statement sounds to me like you are conflating unconditional
emotional caring with making the best of the way things are.

--
PeterN
Old December 2nd 17, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/30/2017 5:13 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

snip

In the hair salon down the street, there is a sign in the window: "I'm a
Beautician, not a Magician."

After seeing some of the clients, I suspect the owner should invest in a
hat and rabbit. It might be easier.

Things are rarely what they seem..............
We went to a reception ans were sitting at a table with a young lady who
was scarfing Italian pastries, at an extremely rapid rate. I didn't
mention that she was a HIGHLY PAID salesperson for a weight loss
company. I rarely resist temptation, and threatened to make a video of
her desert eating habits, and put it in a competitors store window.
She had no sense of humor, and hasn't spoken to me since.

--
PeterN
Old December 2nd 17, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/30/2017 5:16 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 11/30/2017 10:05 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"PeterN" wrote

| Event and portrait photographers have been fixing blemishes for years.
| In the digital age a lot of people tend to regard photographers as a
| commodity, and not as craftsman and artists. Photographers are entitled
| to make an honest living. They need to eat, as do all of us. If fixing
| images of teeth helps them do so, I think that's great.

Â*Â* Sure. Though I was not aware that such things
were being done at the level of school photos.

Â*Â*Â* I was only pointing out that this seems to be
neither the realm of the photographer nor of the
graphic artist. Like "fixing redeye", it's become a
one-click operation. I imagine publishing companies
probably have very advanced stuff to do it, so
that only one click give a movie star hips,
bright blue eyes, and air-brushed skin, while
thinning her chin to "feminize", maybe reshaping
her nose, etc. The program I got for free with PSP
claims to do most of that. I can hardly imagine
what Cosmo must use.

Once upon a time, skilled portrait photographers could handle most of
those things with creative lighting and posing.

There must be some who still can.

--
PeterN
Old December 2nd 17, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

We went to a reception ans were sitting at a table with a young lady who
was scarfing Italian pastries, at an extremely rapid rate.

she was hungry or the pastries were delicious. probably both.

I didn't
mention that she was a HIGHLY PAID salesperson for a weight loss
company.

so what? they need to eat just like everyone else.

I rarely resist temptation, and threatened to make a video of
her desert eating habits, and put it in a competitors store window.
She had no sense of humor, and hasn't spoken to me since.

incredibly smart lady.
Old December 2nd 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/2/2017 6:46 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

We went to a reception ans were sitting at a table with a young lady who
was scarfing Italian pastries, at an extremely rapid rate.

she was hungry or the pastries were delicious. probably both.

You have just given us tons of information regarding your understanding
of English usage, impulse control, and regard for others.

I didn't
mention that she was a HIGHLY PAID salesperson for a weight loss
company.

so what? they need to eat just like everyone else.

I rarely resist temptation, and threatened to make a video of
her desert eating habits, and put it in a competitors store window.
She had no sense of humor, and hasn't spoken to me since.

incredibly smart lady.

Since you consider her smart for that, following your own reasoning,
regarding intelligence it's easy to figure out where that puts you on
the intelligence scale. you must even think nobody noticed your context
snip.

--
PeterN
Old December 3rd 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 21:57:57 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 11/30/2017 5:13 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

snip

In the hair salon down the street, there is a sign in the window: "I'm a
Beautician, not a Magician."

After seeing some of the clients, I suspect the owner should invest in a
hat and rabbit. It might be easier.

Things are rarely what they seem..............
We went to a reception ans were sitting at a table with a young lady who
was scarfing Italian pastries, at an extremely rapid rate. I didn't
mention that she was a HIGHLY PAID salesperson for a weight loss
company. I rarely resist temptation, and threatened to make a video of
her desert eating habits, and put it in a competitors store window.
She had no sense of humor, and hasn't spoken to me since.

You shouldn't joke about food to these people.

Eric Stevens