Teleconverters

Old May 3rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles[_2_]

Default Teleconverters

Hi all:

Thinking about this combo:

20D, EF 100-400 and EF 1.4XII teleconverter.

Already own the camera and the lens.

Thanks for your ideas.

Old May 4th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimKramer

On May 3, 6:13 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Hi all:

Thinking about this combo:

20D, EF 100-400 and EF 1.4XII teleconverter.

Already own the camera and the lens.

Thanks for your ideas.

Auto focus is gone....

But you will like the results from a tripod and a higher ISO.

Jim

Old May 4th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gautam Majumdar

On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:13:45 +0100, Charles wrote:

Hi all:

Thinking about this combo:

20D, EF 100-400 and EF 1.4XII teleconverter.

You will lose AF with any 10 pin TC. I use a Kenco non-Pro 1.4x TC (7-pin)
which allows AF. Quality is not bad at all. It is half the price of Canon.

--
gautam
Old May 4th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cmyk

"Gautam Majumdar" wrote in message news
On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:13:45 +0100, Charles wrote:

Hi all:

Thinking about this combo:

20D, EF 100-400 and EF 1.4XII teleconverter.

You will lose AF with any 10 pin TC. I use a Kenco non-Pro 1.4x TC (7-pin)
which allows AF. Quality is not bad at all. It is half the price of Canon.

--
gautam

AF will be retained with the Kenk Pro TCs too. But with an effective f8 @ 400mm, expect slow autofocussing and hunting in any
conditions other than bright light.

Cheers
--
cmyk

Old May 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

"cmyk" wrote in
:

AF will be retained with the Kenk Pro TCs too.

Not with the OP's 20D.

--

John P Sheehy

Old May 4th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cmyk

"John Sheehy" wrote in message ...
"cmyk" wrote in
:

AF will be retained with the Kenk Pro TCs too.

Not with the OP's 20D.

--

John P Sheehy

Hi John,

It does with both my EOS 30 and my EOS 30D - even with lenses as slow as f6.3 (giving f9 effective), so I don't see why an EOS 20D
would behave any differently.

Cheers
--
cmyk

Old May 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

Gautam Majumdar wrote in
news
On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:13:45 +0100, Charles wrote:

Hi all:

Thinking about this combo:

20D, EF 100-400 and EF 1.4XII teleconverter.

You will lose AF with any 10 pin TC. I use a Kenco non-Pro 1.4x TC
(7-pin) which allows AF. Quality is not bad at all. It is half the
price of Canon.

I don't even like the AF of the 100-400 without a TC; I can't imagine
relying on it *with* a TC.

The AF switch has been off for a long time on my 100-400.

Learn to focus manually, IMO. There are too many wrong things for AF to
focus in in telephoto work, unless you are shooting things that are
isolated from the background.

There is nothing more frustrating than AF that was just spot-on hunting the
wrong way or focusing on the wrong thing while your photo-op ends.

--

John P Sheehy

Old May 5th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

John Sheehy wrote:
I don't even like the AF of the 100-400 without a TC; I can't imagine
relying on it *with* a TC.

Some additional notes:
The 100-400 has no sealed rear end, so as you zoom the lens,
it pumps air into and out of the lens and camera, and
along with it, dust. I have a 100-400, and do not
like it with digital because of the dust factor.

Next, some copies of the 100-400 are not sharp. Mine is not
and produces soft images at 400. This has been noted by pro
bird photographer Art Morris in his newsletters too.
So if you want on, be sure to test the specific lens you will
buy.

If buying a new lens for wildlife, I would recommend
the 300 f/4 L IS or 400 f/5.6 L (no IS) over the 100-400.
Zoom is nice, but not at the expense of performance,
including AF speed, and sharpness.

The AF switch has been off for a long time on my 100-400.

Learn to focus manually, IMO. There are too many wrong things for AF to
focus in in telephoto work, unless you are shooting things that are
isolated from the background.

There is nothing more frustrating than AF that was just spot-on hunting the
wrong way or focusing on the wrong thing while your photo-op ends.

I disagree with this, unless you only shoot static subjects.
One of the great things about IS telephoto lenses is photographing
moving subjects, and it is really difficult for most people
to track focus while panning to follow action. Modern film and
digital SLRs (for the last 15+ years) have predictive autofocus.
That means the camera tracks focus of a subject moving toward or away
from you and when you press the shutter button, the camera sets
the focal point for the time the shutter actually opens, taking into
account the shutter lag (e.g. the time to raise the mirror).

To best use this mode, try a single autofocus sensor and keep the
sensor on the subject's eyes.

Example images:
pretty much every image on this page used predictive autofocus:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.africa

Roger

Old May 5th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nick c

John Sheehy wrote:
I don't even like the AF of the 100-400 without a TC; I can't imagine
relying on it *with* a TC.

Some additional notes:
The 100-400 has no sealed rear end, so as you zoom the lens,
it pumps air into and out of the lens and camera, and
along with it, dust. I have a 100-400, and do not
like it with digital because of the dust factor.

Next, some copies of the 100-400 are not sharp. Mine is not
and produces soft images at 400. This has been noted by pro
bird photographer Art Morris in his newsletters too.
So if you want on, be sure to test the specific lens you will
buy.

If buying a new lens for wildlife, I would recommend
the 300 f/4 L IS or 400 f/5.6 L (no IS) over the 100-400.
Zoom is nice, but not at the expense of performance,
including AF speed, and sharpness.

I would like to add:

Canons 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens coupled to Canons 2x telextender attached
to a 30D (or 20D) gives excellent results at F5.6 at an equivalent
640mm; keeping the use of Modes 1 and 2 IS. This setup is what I use
for wildlife photos; still retaining the basic 70-200 for conventional
use.

Snip

Old May 6th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

nick c wrote in news:463c0b8b$0$4667
:

I would like to add:

Canons 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens coupled to Canons 2x telextender attached
to a 30D (or 20D) gives excellent results at F5.6 at an equivalent
640mm; keeping the use of Modes 1 and 2 IS. This setup is what I use
for wildlife photos; still retaining the basic 70-200 for conventional
use.

I have never seen a sample from the 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a 2x TC that
looked anywhere as sharp as a good 100-400 @ 400.

TCs are good for getting a little more subject detail out of a given lens;
it is not a substitute for lenses that do the same thing without TCs.

--

John P Sheehy