Picture Size (Pixels & Kb)

Old January 27th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tallmanirl

Default Picture Size (Pixels & Kb)

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Thanks,

Fergal.

Old January 27th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article . com,
tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Thanks,

Fergal.

Zero.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 27th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:53:40 -0800, tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Thanks,

Fergal.

If it is uncompressed, then kb = w*h*3/1024. w*h gives the number of
pixels. Each pixel is generally represented by three bytes - one each for
red,green,blue. Most point and shoot cameras will save the data as a
jpeg, with a compression ratio of between about 3 and 10. Very simplistic,
and not taking into consideration all the other factors that can intrude.
I expect you can find a fuller explanation at wikipedia.
Old January 27th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin C

On 2007-01-27, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,
tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Zero.

Gotta say, Ken, you're, at least, concise!

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.
Old January 28th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article m, Justin

On 2007-01-27, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,
tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Zero.

Gotta say, Ken, you're, at least, concise!

Well, it IS the correct answer for the question asked. There is NO
relationship between those things without many other factors being
specified.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 28th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"tallmanirl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Thanks,

Fergal.

Have a look at www.scantips.com for good explanation of most parts of
this stuff.

Roy G

Old January 28th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

On 2007-01-27, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,
tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.

Zero.

Gotta say, Ken, you're, at least, concise!

Justin.

but concisely wrong...
Old January 28th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article m, Justin

On 2007-01-27, Ken Lucke wrote:
In article . com,
tallmanirl wrote:

Hello everyone,
what is the relationship between the no. of pixels a picture has, it's
width and height and the Kb it takes up, esp. pix on the Web.
Zero.

Gotta say, Ken, you're, at least, concise!

Well, it IS the correct answer for the question asked. There is NO
relationship between those things without many other factors being
specified.

So I can have a gigabyte pixel image on the web with zero bytes size?
Not too realistic, is it?
Old January 28th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toke Eskildsen

Ron Hunter wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
Well, it IS the correct answer for the question asked. There is
NO relationship between those things without many other factors
being specified.

So I can have a gigabyte pixel image on the web with zero bytes
size?

You're making a formal mistake here. While there might be no
relationship, you'll still have to obey the limitations of the chosen
image format.

Unless we get into the whole semi-philosophical debate about the empty
group satisfying any rules (sorry about the bad translation, english is
my second language), then all image formats takes up some bytes.

So your gigapixel image can be compressed to a single colored square,
specified as having the right dimensions and taking up a few bytes,
or it could be stored uncompress and taking up gigabytes. This would
satisfy the NO relationship clause.

Not too realistic, is it?

The problem is that it really _is_ realistic, if you only look at
megapixels. A single-colored square at gigapixel size would likely be
compressed down to a few KB using PNG (or TIFF LZW or GIF or...).

So we can't say anything, unless we have an idea of the nature of the
original image and the expected quality.
--
Toke Eskildsen - http://ekot.dk/
Old January 28th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toke Eskildsen

Justin C wrote:

Gotta say, Ken, you're, at least, concise!

And right...

174MP, 523MB: http://ekot.dk/misc/filesize/174MP.tif (photo)
174MP, 136MB: http://ekot.dk/misc/filesize/174MP.png (same photo)
174MP, 20MB: http://ekot.dk/misc/filesize/174MP.jpg (same photo)