Epson P-2000

Old January 23rd 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TSKO

Default Epson P-2000

Does anyone have one of these? Something to take their pictures from their
digital camera onto this device in order to look at them. Mini laptop I
guess.

Anyways...thoughts on this little 'expensive' toy?

Old January 24th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

TSKO wrote:
Does anyone have one of these? Something to take their pictures from
their digital camera onto this device in order to look at them. Mini
laptop I guess.

Anyways...thoughts on this little 'expensive' toy?

It is expensive, but it certainly isn't a "toy." -It's for a lot more than
simply "viewing pictures" though... It's a very useful device in the field
because it provides back-up of your image files, which allows you to keep
shooting on long trips where your memory cards are insufficient, or where
laptops are a problem to lug along.

I have both the P-2000 and the newer P-5000.

There is nothing more reassuring that knowing that while you keep shooting,
your other full card is being backed up onto your device... Even more
reassuring, you can view the shots on the amazing screen to make sure
everything is as it should be.

If you're interested, I'd consider selling my perfectly functioning P-2000.
It's in perfect condition, and works extremely well.
The P-5000 is faster, but costs $700 smackers...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 24th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
TSKO

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
TSKO wrote:
[...]

I am joking about the 'toy' part.

What are you willing to sell it for?

Old January 24th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

TSKO wrote:
[...]

I don't know... Make me an offer I can't refuse... (minus the horse's
head, please...)
I wasn't planning to...but I realize that I don't use it any more, now that
I have the P-5000.

I don't know, though... I just checked, and you can still buy the P-2000
new for $299.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 24th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I have the Archos 504 with 120GB hard drive. It is a good machine, and
so far it has not given me any problem. The drawback is that it does
not have access to put in SD or CF cards.

With the 120 GB hard drive, I am using it as a storage of all of my
photos. The machine also plays and stores MP3, and play videos
(although I have not used it yet).

You can arrange the photos into folders, and playback as slideshow. It
is great when you have families far away from home. When you visit
them, you can bring this gadget and show the family photos.

Archos is much smaller in size than Epson. I was considering to get
Epson, but it is more expensive and larger in size. My archos only
measures 3 inch x 5 inch x 1 inch thick. I beleive there is also a
newer model (Archos 604) with the WiFi capabilities.
look at http://www.archos.com

TSKO wrote:
[...]

What are you willing to sell it for?I don't know... Make me an offer I can't refuse... (minus the horse's

Old January 24th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

wrote:
I have the Archos 504 with 120GB hard drive. It is a good machine, and
so far it has not given me any problem. The drawback is that it does
not have access to put in SD or CF cards.

With the 120 GB hard drive, I am using it as a storage of all of my
photos. The machine also plays and stores MP3, and play videos
(although I have not used it yet).

You can arrange the photos into folders, and playback as slideshow. It
is great when you have families far away from home. When you visit
them, you can bring this gadget and show the family photos.

Archos is much smaller in size than Epson. I was considering to get
Epson, but it is more expensive and larger in size. My archos only
measures 3 inch x 5 inch x 1 inch thick. I beleive there is also a
newer model (Archos 604) with the WiFi capabilities.
look at
http://www.archos.com

But that device is useless as an in-the-field back-up of your memory cards.
-Different intent, altogether, really.
While the Epson can be used for viewing (second to none in terms of display
quality, BTW, at 640x480), it isn't intended merely as a viewer.

Old January 24th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:35:35 -0500, TSKO wrote:

Does anyone have one of these? Something to take their pictures from their
digital camera onto this device in order to look at them. Mini laptop I
guess.

Anyways...thoughts on this little 'expensive' toy?

It might be better to invest in one of the less expensive laptops which
are now available.

Old January 24th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

ray wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:35:35 -0500, TSKO wrote:

Does anyone have one of these? Something to take their pictures
from their digital camera onto this device in order to look at them.
Mini laptop I guess.

Anyways...thoughts on this little 'expensive' toy?

It might be better to invest in one of the less expensive laptops
which are now available.

It's not a laptop replacement.
When you're out in the field with your gear and shooting extensively, it's
nice to be able to perform safe and complete back-ups without lugging a
laptop with you, or having to find a place to boot it up. I merely stick
the card into the unit, start the backup (takes about 5 or 6 seconds) and
keep shooting with another card. -When the back-up finishes, the unit shuts
off, and I can retrieve the card when I back up the next one. All this is
done with no break in shooting. I have a very lightweight laptop which
weighs only about 3.5 lbs, and yet its my Epson that comes with me into the
field. If the laptop comes on the trip, it stays in my hotel (or tent)
while I'm out shooting, and is used for more serious review of the days
shots.

Not everyone needs portable storage, but for those of us that do, these
small and reliable units are of real benefit...especially when they fit
right into existing camera bags.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 24th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug MacDonald

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

:
: If you're interested, I'd consider selling my perfectly functioning
P-2000.
: It's in perfect condition, and works extremely well.
: The P-5000 is faster, but costs $700 smackers...
:
:
Is this the one that got dunked in a Papua New Guinea river crossing?
Maybe a different Mark... You did say I confused you with him, didn't you?

Douglas

Old January 24th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Doug MacDonald wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

If you're interested, I'd consider selling my perfectly functioning
P-2000. It's in perfect condition, and works extremely well.
The P-5000 is faster, but costs $700 smackers...

Is this the one that got dunked in a Papua New Guinea river crossing?
Maybe a different Mark... You did say I confused you with him, didn't
you?

Douglas

Ha ha... Very funny...but I haven't been to Papua New Guinea since '91, and
I'm pretty sure the Epson P-2000 wasn't out back then...

But dang, Douglas! I kill-filed you not two minutes ago (see your other
comments to me), and here you are under a different screen name already (now
it's "Doug MacDonald" instead of "Douglas").
No matter.
Just in case you miss the other, here's that final post again before I place
this additional screen in the klink:

"Believe it or not, Doug, I wish you well.
I sincerely hope you find whatever it is you need that will make you happy.

I'm going to place you in the klink-file now--not in anger, but frankly as a
favor to us both.
I want you to be successful in your work and photographic persuits. I just
don't think further exchanges between us do you any good at all, and it's
also a undeniable waste of my time...so this will be it...until you change
your screen name again, I guess.
Have a good day, and take care.
No sarcasm... I mean that most sincerely."

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson