!!! About the "Sporging" Threat to rec.photo.digital

Old August 13th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Les Stewart

Default !!! About the "Sporging" Threat to rec.photo.digital

There was the same threat to rec.birds the other day.... they weren't
kidding!!

There is a new ugly phenomena making the rounds of newsgroups. It is called
"sporge flooding". Without going into great detail, it is the flooding of a
newsgroup with thousands of bogus messages making the news group basically
useless. It serves no purpose other than vandalizing a newsgroup.

You can read more details he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporge

I read a group call rec.birds about wild birds. It usually has 20 to 50
messages a day. Today in a few hours it has over a thousand with random
subjects all from bogus people, making it unreadable. Luckily there is also
a group that most of the same posters read called rec.binaries.birds which
has been unaffected. How long it will last, I don't know.

What I have suggested there is that anyone who wants to post to rec.birds,
should put 3 exclamation points in front of the subject just as I did in
this message (!!!Subject). That will make everyone's real posts and the
replies to them show up at the top of all the crap as long as the reader has
their posts sorted by subject.

Anyway, hope it doesn't happen here, it is a real mess. If it happens here,
think about posting that way and you might be able to actually read each
other's posts. So far the sporgers have not used and characters like
exclamation points, colons, etc., in the subject line of their posts.

By the way, for those using Outlook Express, you can sort the messages you
see by subject in alphabetical order by clinking on the word "Subject" at
the top of the "Subject" Column. That will sort the messages by subject from
A to Z and characters like exclamation points will come before A. Clicking
on "Subject" again will sort from Z to A. Clicking on other columns like
"From" and "Sent" will sort them that way.
--
Les Stewart
Beaumont, TX

Old August 13th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
WalkingMan

On Aug 13, 1:32?am, "Les Stewart" wrote:
[...]

As a new user to the group, it seems that the bogus messages are
multiplying daily. I clicked on th eprofile for one of the messages
and discovered that the person had posted 129 messages on at least a
dozen groups, I like the "!!!" idea.
Marshel

Old August 13th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Les Stewart wrote:

There was the same threat to rec.birds the other day.... they weren't
kidding!!

Les Stewart
Beaumont, TX

apparently they've been reported by a fair few people so hopefully
they'll get nailed. This place has had its fair share of attacks
anyway

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old August 13th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gautam Majumdar

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:32:11 +0100, Les Stewart wrote:

Sporging is currently going on in the astronomy NGs. One quick way to find
the sporged threads for this round of sporging is that the subject line
starts with a small letter. In almost all genuine posts the subject line
statrs with a capital letter.

--
gautam
Old August 13th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

Gautam Majumdar wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:32:11 +0100, Les Stewart wrote:

Sporging is currently going on in the astronomy NGs. One quick way to find
the sporged threads for this round of sporging is that the subject line
starts with a small letter. In almost all genuine posts the subject line
statrs with a capital letter.

It (I hate to use a pronoun intended for hu,ans) posted approximately
2000 of its evil sperm to rec,music.classical.recordings overnight. It
will be nice when school starts and it will have to go back to junior
high (not to insult most 11 to 13 year olds).
Allen