Computer monitor for use with Photoshop

Old July 27th 04, 11:53 PM
Alan Justice

Default Computer monitor for use with Photoshop

I shoot film but will get a slide scanner and a printer for archival prints
(e.g., Epson 2200).

I have a Dell 21" monitor that can be set to 1600x1200 pixels. I assume
it's a standard type, about .28 dot pitch. For the best viewing for
critical sharpness and photoshopping the images, do I need a different
monitor? .21 dp? LCD monitor?

--
- Alan Justice

Old July 28th 04, 12:23 AM
Jim

"Alan Justice" wrote in message
news
I shoot film but will get a slide scanner and a printer for archival
prints
(e.g., Epson 2200).

I have a Dell 21" monitor that can be set to 1600x1200 pixels. I assume
it's a standard type, about .28 dot pitch. For the best viewing for
critical sharpness and photoshopping the images, do I need a different
monitor? .21 dp? LCD monitor?

I would not consider buying another monitor until I found that my monitor
was somehow limiting me.

LCD monitors have this annoying habit of changing contrast during side to
side head movement. My Dell came with one of their models (possibly less
that top of the line), and it had that trait in abundance. I reverted to my
Sony 19" which even after 5 years looks quite good.
Jim

Old July 28th 04, 12:26 AM
wayne

should be fine. In my graphics department they use Dell CRT and 20" flat
panels the LCD is not quite as good as the CRT but they feel it is still
good enough!

Wayne

Old July 28th 04, 01:45 PM
Jonathan

critical sharpness and photoshopping the images, do I need a different
monitor? .21 dp? LCD monitor?

If you're using a Mac I can recommend the 4Mac monitors (probably
re-badged well known manufacturer innards). I personally use Sony
Trinitron flat screen 20" CRT monitors (rebadged as Silicon Graphics,
as I mainly use a Silicon Graphics workstation). Very steady picture,
and no wobbly contrast issues that flat panel displays suffer from.
They're quite cheap to buy, and I believe the picture quality and
colour accuracy is much better too.

Consider that the human eye can only discern so much detail anyway, so
unless it's life-critical work there's no real point in going over the
top so far as screen quality goes... 32" widescreen is another matter
though
Old July 28th 04, 02:12 PM
Al Denelsbeck

"Alan Justice" wrote in
news
I shoot film but will get a slide scanner and a printer for archival
prints (e.g., Epson 2200).

I have a Dell 21" monitor that can be set to 1600x1200 pixels. I
assume it's a standard type, about .28 dot pitch. For the best
viewing for critical sharpness and photoshopping the images, do I need
a different monitor? .21 dp? LCD monitor?

I have heard bad things about the LCDs, and the models that I've
heard people say they have no problems with are 50-100% more expensive than
the other LCDs, which basically means three or more times the cost of a
CRT. Personally, my desk space isn't that valuable ;-)

When my monitor blew a little over two years ago, I was determined to
find a 'bargain' for photo editing. Picked up at that time a Samtron 76DF
(17", but I work close to the screen, so it was fine for me). Bright and
contrasty, and a .20mm horizontal dot pitch. Was also marked down and had a
rebate on it ;-). I researched it beforehand, suspecting it to be a dog in
some way, but user and testing accounts proved to be quite supportive. So I
bought it.

And you'd have to have a gun, a big one, to take it away from me now.
Quite simply the best photo editing monitor I've used, and in the past two
years it's needed little adjustment and, near as I can tell, has not
reduced in performance. The picture is just wonderfully crisp, and the
color vivid - probably about as close as you can get to lighttable-like
results. Works well with custom ICC profiles. Three year warranty, too. So
my personal suggestion would be to look for a comparable (larger) model.

You should also consider, space allowing, two monitors for Photoshop
work. Having the menus and palettes not sitting atop your image is a lot
easier to work with.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain