Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

Old April 9th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

Default Used MF Prices --- I Should be Happy but not

On 2009-04-06 00:07:48 -0400, rwalker said:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:55:58 +0100, Rob B
wrote:

snip

There are other manufacturer's of film suck as Ilford who are currently
releasing their latest emulsions in 120 format. Of late Fuji relented to
pressure and reintroduced the famous Velvia 50, so film is not dead just
yet. As for the 220 format that may soon disappear ( a couple of years
or so) as it is becoming more and more difficult to source.

Well, at least I won't be bothered too much any more, then, that my
Pentax 67 has a broken 120/220 switch and is stuck in 120 mode.

I have just thawed out my last 220 Velvia 50 for the Pentax 6x7

I keep my film refrigerated but not frozen. I assume you freeze yours. I
had thought about doing this but have been unsure. How long do you thaw
it for, and what is the general condition like once thawed?

Rob.
Old April 13th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart[_3_]

wrote:

snip

There are other manufacturer's of film suck as Ilford who are currently
releasing their latest emulsions in 120 format. Of late Fuji relented
pressure and reintroduced the famous Velvia 50, so film is not dead
just
yet. As for the 220 format that may soon disappear ( a couple of years
or so) as it is becoming more and more difficult to source.

Well, at least I won't be bothered too much any more, then, that my
Pentax 67 has a broken 120/220 switch and is stuck in 120 mode.

I have just thawed out my last 220 Velvia 50 for the Pentax 6x7

I keep my film refrigerated but not frozen. I assume you freeze yours. I
had thought about doing this but have been unsure. How long do you thaw
it for, and what is the general condition like once thawed?

Rob.

For 120/220 film, generally two hours at room temp is good enough for
thawing. If the film is in it's sealed container, there shouldn't be any
problems with collecting moisture as it thaws. If you need it thawed faster,
you can always hold it in your armpit. If you really need it thawed fast,
there's another place on your body where you can thaw it, but I wouldn't
recommend it except for recreational purposes!

Old April 13th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Ken Hart wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message

I keep my film refrigerated but not frozen. I assume you freeze yours. I
had thought about doing this but have been unsure. How long do you thaw
it for, and what is the general condition like once thawed?

Rob.

For 120/220 film, generally two hours at room temp is good enough for
thawing. If the film is in it's sealed container, there shouldn't be any
problems with collecting moisture as it thaws. If you need it thawed faster,
you can always hold it in your armpit. If you really need it thawed fast,
there's another place on your body where you can thaw it, but I wouldn't
recommend it except for recreational purposes!

Guys, please.

Film at room temp, or at 39C / 100F for that matter is _frozen_.

Putting it in a freezer does not make it any more frozen, just colder.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 14th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Ken Hart wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message

I keep my film refrigerated but not frozen. I assume you freeze yours. I
had thought about doing this but have been unsure. How long do you thaw
it for, and what is the general condition like once thawed?

Rob.

For 120/220 film, generally two hours at room temp is good enough for
thawing. If the film is in it's sealed container, there shouldn't be any
problems with collecting moisture as it thaws. If you need it thawed
faster, you can always hold it in your armpit. If you really need it
thawed fast, there's another place on your body where you can thaw it,
but I wouldn't recommend it except for recreational purposes!

Guys, please.

Film at room temp, or at 39C / 100F for that matter is _frozen_.

Putting it in a freezer does not make it any more frozen, just colder.

Absolutely correct...
An object in a solid state is 'frozen', if that object is then thawed, it
becomes liquid. A steel beam in building construction is frozen, even if the
building is in the desert. When that beam was originally formed, it was
molded (extruded?) in a liquid form. Perhaps if it were heated further than
it's liquid point, you could have steel gas. Conversely, oxygen in it's
usual state is a gas. If oxygen is cooled enough it becomes a liquid. And if
cooled even further, I suppose you could have a solid block of oxygen.

But putting your film in the freezer (even though it is already 'frozen')
will not doubt slow down any chemical reaction in the emulsion, making it
last longer.
Perhaps we could agree to say that while we are not freezing the film, we
are freezing the chemical reaction in the emulsion?

Old April 14th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Ken Hart wrote:

But putting your film in the freezer (even though it is already 'frozen')
will not doubt slow down any chemical reaction in the emulsion, making it
last longer.
Perhaps we could agree to say that while we are not freezing the film, we
are freezing the chemical reaction in the emulsion?

I'm not disputing the chemical aspect (although that is never 'frozen',
just slowed down to a glacial [ahem] pace), just the notion of freezing
what is already frozen ... bugs me.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 14th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob B[_2_]

Ken Hart wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think I'll stick with a couple of hours at room temp' thanks for the info,

Rob.