When this group began to die

Old February 6th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
[email protected]

Default When this group began to die

Just so this wonderfully revealing post does not disappear without a
trace (from Google groups, that is), I herewith repost it for
posterity, without a single comment...

On Feb 6, 7:21 am, Douglas MacDonald photosbydouglas-
wrote:
No one knows for sure what day it was the zealots took control. Some say
it was early in 2003,but really there is no way to pinpoint the day
because it was part of the evolution of the Internet.

Usenet has always been anarchy in it's purest form. No controls, no law,
no penalties. Then one day a few people discovered anonymity. They
stopped posting their identities. Began using anonymous mail2news
servers in countries with little or no control over these things.

They (the zealots) managed to drive creative minds from Usenet
altogether. The most significant (in ths group) was Lisa Horton. A
creative soul, inventive mind and open target for some of the most vile
posting Usenet has ever seen. She was a female and ill equiped to handle
the "bar room brawl" nature of the men in this group.

Many people blamed Tony Polson for the shocking posts. They were wrong.
This didn't stop the pundits from continuing to point the finger at
people. "I'm 100% certain it is Tony Polson" was the wording in a reply
to the reward I posted for information leading to the serving of a
summons when the perpetrator began attacking my wife and my family.
The reward has been paid, incidentally. I know his identity now but lack
the common thread to tie it all together for court action. that happened
3 years ago.

The damage it did to this group can be seen in the fall off of
participation in shootin. Sadly gone are the days of 40 entries. Today,
shooting is lucky to attract a half a dozen entries. Nine in the latest
round.

One only need to look at the names of the participants in round 2, to
see that a quite a few Professional Photographers USED to find this
group a place to exchange ideas and photos. Not content with being "one
of the many", Bret Douglas decided his ride to the bottom would be
quicker if he offended and insulted people by publishing his pictures
and posting direct links to them. Most were **** in the beginning, many
still are but now he has a cople of fans... He is achieving his aim for
stardom... In a group with a declining population.

Probably the saddest part of the decline in this group is exemplified by
a post I made last year about calculations of DOF and it's effect in a
particular photo I had taken. The general thread was not one of
knowledgeable replies but of admonishment and ridicule of not knowing
the answer myself.

For the past few years I posted replies to people asking about enlarging
digital images, telling them in the process, that I could make poster
prints from small files. A vocal few with no knowledge and even les
barin power, lambasted me for my claims, prodding me to release details
of my process which of course, I wouldn't.

As I scale down my business interests with a view to a more laid back
lifestyle, I decided I could now post the image enlargement crops these
pundits were asking for. I did. The result was nothing. The same
response I get from Mark Thomas when I post evidence to refute his
defamation and slanderous posts about me... Nothing.

Last week I offered one of this groups most offensive participants
something of an olive branch to stop the **** posted in response to my
posts and replies... He obviously gets his rocks off by keeping it going
... his choice.

My choice is the write him off. Death appears to be the only thing that
will eventually silence him and it can't come too soon for all the
people he has contributed to driving away from this group.

There is no question in my mind that the only remaining participants to
this group will continue to decline as two or three people who have
managed to control it's participation by abuse and ridicule... Drive all
others away.

I think it's true too, that this group is destined for a participation
of retired and grumpy old men and a woman who admire the hugely vocal
loud mouthed golf caddie. What you got is all you got.

--
From Douglas...