4X6 to digital

Old July 20th 04, 08:44 AM
Robert Mooers

Default 4X6 to digital

Went to Australia with my friend. She is an artist with a 35mm camera, and I
am a hack with a coolpix 990.

Her photos are great but I want to be able to look at the photos when I
want, not get an album out and make an evening out of it with flavored
coffee.

My question is this, is there a service that will take a bunch of 4X6 photos
and scan them for you?

I realize that I could get the negatives and scan them, but that would be
another flavored coffee night.

Rob

Old July 20th 04, 02:19 PM
Michael Meissner

"Robert Mooers" writes:

Went to Australia with my friend. She is an artist with a 35mm camera, and I
am a hack with a coolpix 990.

Her photos are great but I want to be able to look at the photos when I
want, not get an album out and make an evening out of it with flavored
coffee.

My question is this, is there a service that will take a bunch of 4X6 photos
and scan them for you?

I realize that I could get the negatives and scan them, but that would be
another flavored coffee night.

I think most mini-labs like Walmart will do this in conjunction with a reprint
order for a fee, and presumably can do this without doing a print order as
well. I had Walmart make a CD in conjunction with my last film prints in 2001,
and the sizes were 1536x1024. If you need larger sizes, then you presumably
need to find a pro-lab, and/or do the scanning yourself (but as you mention,
that can be a lot of work).

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old July 20th 04, 04:28 PM
Chuck Norris

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:44:52 -0700, "Robert Mooers"
wrote:

Went to Australia with my friend. She is an artist with a 35mm camera, and I
am a hack with a coolpix 990.

Her photos are great but I want to be able to look at the photos when I
want, not get an album out and make an evening out of it with flavored
coffee.

My question is this, is there a service that will take a bunch of 4X6 photos
and scan them for you?

I realize that I could get the negatives and scan them, but that would be
another flavored coffee night.

Rob

What's wrong with flavored coffee?

But yes, keeping the flavored coffee out of it most developing studios
offer a service where they scan the negatives, hand out a bunch of
flavored coffee packets, oh, and put the scanned images on a regular,
plain ole' CD in jpeg format, which you can browse to your hearts
content.

Might I recommend the 'hazelnut'.
Old July 21st 04, 03:06 PM
Don Stauffer

I guess I'd disagree with 'limited resolution'. At least for moderate
enlargements like 4 x 6, the good papers will give very good
resolution. What prints lack is dynamic range. A print has only about
a 50:1 dynamic range of brightness. A 4 x 6 print scanned on a good
flatbed scanner can have a 3600 x 2400 resolution, far better than any
digicam I can afford. In fact, at a 4 x 6, you are probably more
limited by the negative.

RSD99 wrote:

Get the negatives scanned ... ALL prints are made on paper that has (by comparison) very
limited resolution.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

webpage-