Canon D20 CF Card - Which One Do You Recommend?

Old October 1st 04, 03:40 AM
Big Bill

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:41:12 -0500, Jer wrote:

Clyde Torres wrote:
"Jer" wrote in message

Clyde Torres wrote:

...but sometimes a fast mem card is too fast for
the camera.

Is this even possible?

I don't know, Jer. I don't have any technical information on ANY camera
that allows me to determine this. I know a little bit about digital design,
and I know that flash memory is slow, but there are mechanisms to overcome
this, especially in burst modes. It is theoretically possible to design a
flash mem card with a very fast LILO buffer big enough to handle big bursts,
but I don't have detailed information on any CF cards to determine this.
With a LILO buffer, all the CF card has to do is absorb the information at a
very fast asynchronous handshake rate; however, the camera has to process
the data before it can send it out, and this requires clock cycles/pixel.

I was hoping that someone hear is savvy enough to give me (us) a
quantifiable or qualifiable recommendation.

You do ask a good question, though.

Clyde Torres

It appears the information we seek doesn't appear to be popular in
equipment specs - the write speed of the camera vs. the write speed of a
storage card. Some cameras attempt to circumvent slowness by including
a buffer of some size, which seems a workable scenario.

Which brings to mind another thing I've pondered... when a camera
rapidly captures multiple frames, filling it's internal buffer, does the
capability of capturing additional images shut down altogether (shutter
freeze) until the buffer is empty? or only freeze the shutter long
enough to dump the oldest frame to storage, and then allow additional
captures to resume while continuing to store previously buffered images?

On my DR, when the buffer is full, I need to wait a few seconds, than
I can take another shot.
So, it would seem, for this camera at least, the system is smart
enough to know when the buffer has room for another shot.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old October 1st 04, 04:01 AM
Frank ess

Clyde Torres wrote:
"Jer" wrote in message

Clyde Torres wrote:

[...]

I have read that in Nikon digitals the shutter button recovers function
when there is room for another picture at the current size/quality
setting.

--
Frank ess

Old October 1st 04, 01:58 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Bernhard
Mayer wrote:

Good for you... actually, can I get the very card you have no problems with?

Although the 10D doesn't support WA, I use Lexar 512MB 16X cards and
have never had a problem.
Old October 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Photog

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message m...
I am getting very close to chasing down the elusive (exclusive?) Canon D20
with the 17-85mm USM IS lens. What CF card will do this camera justice? I
prefer as fast as possible, but sometimes a fast mem card is too fast for
the camera. What does the literature say, and who makes a good fast CF card
that will match the speed of the D20? I prefer Lexar but will take any and
all recommendations.

Thanks so mucho.

Clyde Torres

Hi Clyde! I bought the SanDisk Ultra II for my 20D (which I LOVE by
the way). It has a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB)
per second and a read speed of 10MB per second. It's working great for
me. Have fun with your new baby!!!

Susan
Old October 2nd 04, 12:29 AM
Clyde Torres

"Photog" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Susan! Funny, I ordered the 20D from Calumet in Chicago, and the
salesguy suggested the Sandisk 512MB Ultra II, which I bought. I also
bought B&H UV and polarizer filters. I can hardly wait for that sucker to
come in!

Clyde

Old October 2nd 04, 03:24 AM
Clyde Torres

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
Susan

Hi Susan! Funny, I ordered the 20D from Calumet in Chicago, and the
salesguy suggested the Sandisk 512MB Ultra II, which I bought. I also
bought B&H UV and polarizer filters. I can hardly wait for that sucker to
come in!

Clyde

Oops! That's B+W filter, not B&H. Freudian slip!

Clyde