Shutter Lag for Canon Rebel?

Old September 26th 04, 09:11 PM
Susan Phillips

Default Shutter Lag for Canon Rebel?

Thank you so much. The Rebel is the camera that I really wanted, but, didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are so popular now. I have another question for those of you who own one. Is there a significant shutter lag with this camera? I have a Sony Cybershot 3.3 megapixels and the shutter lag is very long. By the time I get the shot taken, the action in the picture is over. This is very annoying when you are photographing little children. Because they do not do the same cute thing twice!

--
Susan Phillips
Old September 26th 04, 09:30 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Susan Phillips" wrote in
:

Thank you so much. The Rebel is the camera that I really wanted, but,
didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are so
popular now. I have another question for those of you who own one.
Is there a significant shutter lag with this camera? I have a Sony
Cybershot 3.3 megapixels and the shutter lag is very long. By the
time I get the shot taken, the action in the picture is over. This is
very annoying when you are photographing little children. Because
they do not do the same cute thing twice!

Look here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp

I can't find the actual shutter lag when the camera is focussed, but
I might just have missed it. It is probably very fast though.

/Roland

BTW - an advice. Check your output from your newsreader. It
contains two copies of the post. One copy that is just one
continous line without breaks and one HTML copy with lots
of tags and stuff. Posting to NEWS is best done in plain text
with line breaks - preferable not more than 80 characters per
line.

Old September 26th 04, 09:57 PM
Phil Stripling

"Susan Phillips" writes:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\"
STYLEBODY {
FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 50px; COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: =
repeat-y; FONT-FAMILY: "MS Sans Serif", "sans serif"
}
HR {
WIDTH: 100%; COLOR: #00ffff; HEIGHT: 1px
}
/STYLE

META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=3DGENERATOR/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3DNotebook.jpg
DIVThank you so much.nbsp; The Rebel is the camera that I really =
wanted, but,=20
didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are so popular =

now.nbsp; I have another question for those of you who own one.nbsp; =
Is there=20
a significant shutter lag with this camera?nbsp; I have a Sony =
Cybershot 3.3=20
megapixels and the shutter lag is very long.nbsp; By the time I get the =
shot=20
taken, the action in the picture is over.nbsp; This is very annoying =
when you=20
are photographing little children.nbsp; Because they do not do the same =
cute=20
thing twice!/DIV

If I'm reading your message correctly, the Canon Rebel has essentially no
shutter lag. My wife had one. She went from a Sony Mavica to the Rebel
because she couldn't get action shots with the Mavica because of the lag.

Old September 27th 04, 12:53 AM
andre

Susan Phillips wrote:
Thank you so much. The Rebel is the camera that I really wanted, but,
didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are so popular
now. I have another question for those of you who own one. Is there a
significant shutter lag with this camera? I have a Sony Cybershot 3.3
megapixels and the shutter lag is very long. By the time I get the shot
taken, the action in the picture is over. This is very annoying when
you are photographing little children. Because they do not do the same
cute thing twice!

--
Susan Phillips

Its hardly noticable. I find it to be very fast.

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old September 27th 04, 01:44 AM
Jonathan Wilson

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:11:20 -0400, "Susan Phillips"
wrote:

Thank you so much. The Rebel is the camera that I really wanted, but, didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are so popular now. I have another question for those of you who own one. Is there a significant shutter lag with this camera? I have a Sony Cybershot 3.3 megapixels and the shutter lag is very long. By the time I get the shot taken, the action in the picture is over. This is very annoying when you are photographing little children. Because they do not do the same cute thing twice!

From my experience, as soon as the camera has focused it takes the
photo.

Focus time varies, and can be a little hit and miss with low lighting
and the actual focus point can swap if you have the camera "decide" on
focus points by selecting all points.

One thing I do miss is that with my G2 if it could not get a good
focus it would still take a photo, the 300D however wont take any
photo if it cannot focus or find a good focus lock.

There have been a couple of times where I'd have prefered an out of
focus shot to no shot while shooting some trouble kicking of where the
police were involved afterwards as an aprocimate photo would have
given a record of the event, no photo gave none!

From a friends experience of film slr's my experiences with the 300D
are nothing new... AF going into seek and pass... so that the camera
zooms past the focus point, hits the max( far focus), then does the
same thing on the way back hitting the min (closeest focus) then
giving up.

when the camera is AF focused (half press) then releasing the button
and then pressing the button fully the "delay" is a fraction of a
second... it takes fairly much 0 time to realise the focus is good and
take the photo, so the lag is negligable.

in manual focus the delay between pressing the button and the photo
being taken is as close to 0 that I cannot judge it to have an
apreciable time... that said I did come from a lower end digital that
"lagged" because the focus was part of the shutter delay so the real
shutter delay may or may not have been small.

The big difference between the 300D and say the film equivilent is
that from standby or off it takes about 1/2 to 2 seconds to "power on"
and with the stand by mode you have to double press the shutter
button... once to kick it out of stand by, and the second press to
take the shot... it would have been nice if pressing the shutter
button pulled the camera out of standby and if the button was still
pressed, when it was fully out of stand by, it would focus and shoot
all in the one "long" press... I've got used to holding the camera
pointing down with a quick press then puting it to my eye and pressing
to take the shot, but it is a case of guessing something might happen
then going for it... in busyish situations i will half press the
shutter often to keep the camera live as I cannot be bothered to go
into the settings and change the power off depending on where and what
I wish to shoot.

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Old September 27th 04, 08:32 PM
Todd H.

"Susan Phillips" writes:

Thank you so much.* The Rebel is the camera that I really wanted,
but, didn't want to get caught up in the media hype since they are
so popular now.* I have another question for those of you who own
one.* Is there a significant shutter lag with this camera?* I have a
Sony Cybershot 3.3 megapixels and the shutter lag is very long.* By
the time I get the shot taken, the action in the picture is over.*
This is very annoying when you are photographing little children.*
Because they do not do the same cute thing twice!

Compared to the Cybershot, the Rebel feels positively like
lightening. That and use of interchangeable leneses are the two big
big advantages of digital SLR's like the Digital Rebel and friends.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old September 27th 04, 08:34 PM
Todd H.

Jonathan Wilson writes:

One thing I do miss is that with my G2 if it could not get a good
focus it would still take a photo, the 300D however wont take any
photo if it cannot focus or find a good focus lock.

Hi Jonathan,

I have both the G2 and 300D as well.

I've found the Rebel to be quite a shooting-priority camera. What
mode are you in when you find it won't take a photo due to lack of
focus lock? If it's green mode or one of the "creative zone" modes,
try P program mode instead.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.