Sigma's kind of ugly new Foveon camera

Old February 10th 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Sigma's kind of ugly new Foveon camera

On 2014-02-10 18:13:09 +0000, RichA said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02...&ref=image_0_0

Aaaaaggh!!!

My eyes!

A minimalist slab camera.
Who did they get to design it, Jony Ive?

Savageduck

Old February 10th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 201402101116466287-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02...&ref=image_0_0

Aaaaaggh!!!

My eyes!

A minimalist slab camera. Who did they get to design it, Jony Ive?

Seriously? I mean, you don't have to like the designs of Ive, but you can
hardly claim that this abomination is remniscient to anything he has ever
designed.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old February 10th 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 2014-02-10 18:13:09 +0000, RichA said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02...&ref=image_0_0

Aaaaaggh!!!

My eyes!

A minimalist slab camera.
Who did they get to design it, Jony Ive?

Sigma must be kicking themselves for the amount of money wasted on
Foveon .... stick to the more profitable lenses!

--
Cheers,
David
Old February 10th 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-02-10 20:37:10 +0000, Sandman said:

In article 201402101116466287-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02...&ref=image_0_0

Aaaaaggh!!!

My

eyes!

A minimalist slab camera. Who did they get to design it, Jony Ive?

Seriously? I mean, you don't have to like the designs of Ive, but you can
hardly claim that this abomination is remniscient to anything he has ever
designed.

Just a joke lost in translation.

Savageduck

Old February 10th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

Sigma must be kicking themselves for the amount of money wasted on
Foveon .... stick to the more profitable lenses!

sigma has no choice, and it's not in their culture to admit failure
anyway.

foveon was about to file for bankruptcy, which would have been a
perfect time to ditch it, but that would have left sigma's entire
camera strategy for dead, so sigma bought foveon instead.

because it was a firesale, it was actually cheaper than writing off the
cameras they would have no longer been able to make. now they're stuck
making them.
Old February 11th 14, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article 201402101116466287-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, savageduck1
@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

On 2014-02-10 18:13:09 +0000, RichA said:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02...&ref=image_0_0

Aaaaaggh!!!

My eyes!

A minimalist slab camera.
Who did they get to design it, Jony Ive?

Why does it make me think of Gumby taking a nap?
Old February 11th 14, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Usenet Account

On 10/02/2014 10:05 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Why does it make me think of Gumby taking a nap?

Or his casket! I am Gumby! dammit...

--
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they
do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under
Old February 11th 14, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014021013163660378-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

A minimalist slab camera. Who did they get to design it, Jony
Ive?

Sandman:
Seriously? I mean, you don't have to like the designs of Ive, but
you can hardly claim that this abomination is remniscient to
anything he has ever designed.

Just a joke lost in translation.

Huh, I wonder what word(s) I didn't understand...

--
Sandman[.net]
Old February 11th 14, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-02-11 06:32:18 +0000, Sandman said:

In article 2014021013163660378-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

A minimalist slab camera. Who did they get to design it, Jony
Ive?

Sandman:
Seriously? I mean, you don't have to like the designs of Ive, but
you can hardly claim that this abomination is remniscient to
anything he has ever designed.

Just a joke lost in translation.

Huh, I wonder what word(s) I didn't understand...

Oh! I am sure you understood each and every "word", but you missed the
spirit in which they were typed, and the very intentional humor.
I guess even if the words of the language read or spoken are
understood, folks can make different interpretations of what is there.
In this case Ive, like it or not, is noted for his minimalist and clean
designs. The joke is in the extrapolation of that hideous Sigma
minimalist effort, to Ive's reputation for minimalism.

As I said, a joke lost in translation.
Sometimes a dictionary cannot cross cultural divides, but that's OK.
Some how we should be able to find a way to reach an understanding of
what each of us is actually trying to say. Sometimes attempts at humor
have to be explained, and even then all parties might not quite get it.

Savageduck

Old February 11th 14, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014021023443062228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck:
A minimalist slab camera. Who did they get to design it,
Jony Ive?

Sandman:
Seriously? I mean, you don't have to like the designs
of Ive, but you can hardly claim that this abomination is
remniscient to anything he has ever designed.

Savageduck:
Just a joke lost in translation.

Sandman:
Huh, I wonder what word(s) I didn't understand...

Oh! I am sure you understood each and every "word", but you missed
the spirit in which they were typed, and the very intentional humor.

Well, that much was obvious!

I guess even if the words of the language read or spoken are
understood, folks can make different interpretations of what is
there. In this case Ive, like it or not, is noted for his minimalist
and clean designs. The joke is in the extrapolation of that hideous
Sigma minimalist effort, to Ive's reputation for minimalism.

Huh, ok. I just found it jarring with the otheriwse disparaging opinion you
expressed about the design, hence my confusion.

As I said, a joke lost in translation. Sometimes a dictionary cannot
cross cultural divides, but that's OK.

I'm not sure the expression "lost in translation" is apt here, though. It
usually signifies something that loses or changes meaning when translated
to another language or medium.

So, Lord of the Rings has a lot of things "lost in translation" to the
movie medium, while some cultural sayings are lost in translation when
tranlsated to another language. Like "Who's on first base", which wouldn't
be a joke at all in most languages other than English.

Since what you said was in Englisg, your native tounge, and read by me in
English, something I'm quite proficient in, nothing was really lost in any
translation. I.e. nothing you said was "translated" to Swedish on my end
and your intended meaning was lost in that translation.

You just connected the concept of minimalistic designs with Ive, which
wasn't lost, only that you didn't mean it to be dispaaging about Ive's
other designs, which I would claim isn't "kept" when interpreted as-is
either. I'm not saying you made a mistake, and the confusion was wholly
mine, but not due to some language barrier or something to that effect. It
was just two - to me - contradictory statements.

Some how we should be able to find a way to reach an understanding of
what each of us is actually trying to say. Sometimes attempts at humor
have to be explained, and even then all parties might not quite get it.

Indeed. And it doesn't always happen across language differences either.

--
Sandman[.net]