"Date Photo taken" date change and deleted photos

Old January 5th 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gary

Default "Date Photo taken" date change and deleted photos

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?
Old January 6th 13, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 05:48:35 -0800 (PST), gary
wrote:

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?

Most likely something has reset your clock/calendar.

But before you go chasing that possibility, were either of the two
dates correct?

Have you at any time during the period in question used software to
download the images from the camera?

Eric Stevens
Old January 6th 13, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).
:
: 2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?

Leaving the battery out can cause the camera's clock and calendar to go flaky.
When you take out a battery to charge it, put a charged spare battery in.

Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.

Bob
Old January 7th 13, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 05/01/2013 13:48, gary wrote:
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

A glitch or bad low power state on the internal clock calendar chip most
likely skipped a month.

2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?

Usually although not always (at least in logical terms) first free space
is used. Load balancing algorithms may actually write the data to a
different physical location inside the flash memory chip though.

Anyone that cares about their data integrity never deletes any images in
camera - it greatly complicates data recovery procedures if later
something does go wrong with the media. Flash memory is cheap enough
that you shouldn't need to delete unwanted images carry extra chips.

Martin Brown
Old January 7th 13, 01:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

On Jan 5, 7:48*am, gary wrote:
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) *(This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. *Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

Removing the battery should normally not cause a problem. Maybe some
glitch with your camera, though. Or perhaps someone changed the month
in the menus without realizing what they did.

Old January 10th 13, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Robert Coe wrote:

Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.

How long does a battery in your watch work? It's of similar
size. And it has to move the hands or display the time,
not just use a couple microampere for advancing the clock
(and a couple orders of magnitude less for keeping data in
some small amount of RAM fresh --- assuming you need much of
that in today's flash memory times).

Well, after a decade it might be empty ... or not.

-Wolfgang
Old January 13th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:51:49 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
: good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
: rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.
:
: How long does a battery in your watch work? It's of similar
: size. And it has to move the hands or display the time,
: not just use a couple microampere for advancing the clock
: (and a couple orders of magnitude less for keeping data in
: some small amount of RAM fresh --- assuming you need much of
: that in today's flash memory times).
:
: Well, after a decade it might be empty ... or not.

I guess it depends. The batteries I've had for my Seiko have always lasted for
several years. My wife has a collection of cheaper watches, and she's lucky to
get a year out of the batteries that come with them.

Of course a watch battery is intended to power the watch 24/7, while the
auxiliary camera battery is not expected to carry the load of the full-sized
battery. If I were having the OP's problem, I'd want to at least rule out the
auxiliary battery as the source of that problem.

Bob
Old January 13th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
larrymcg[_2_]

On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:05:31 AM UTC-8, otter wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:48*am, gary wrote:

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) *(This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. *Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

Removing the battery should normally not cause a problem. Maybe some

glitch with your camera, though. Or perhaps someone changed the month

in the menus without realizing what they did.

Removing the battery with the camera still turned ON could cause a problem. These cameras also go into a power-saving state which looks a lot like the camera is OFF but it's not really off. I almost removed the battery in my camera when it was in power-save mode.