"Chinese" Camera Stores

Old November 5th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Default "Chinese" Camera Stores

Alan LeHun wrote:
In article , "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...
Conversations without inflection/expression and facial clues are often
difficult to "read" in terms of humor, sarcasm and other aspects that are
normally conveyed by unwritten communication elements. Smileys become
little clues for the clueless.

The art of conversation is not the same as the art of writing.

I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
conversations, in general).

:-|

Old November 5th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Alan LeHun wrote:
In article , "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...
Conversations without inflection/expression and facial clues are
often difficult to "read" in terms of humor, sarcasm and other
aspects that are normally conveyed by unwritten communication
elements. Smileys become little clues for the clueless.

The art of conversation is not the same as the art of writing.

These threads ARE conversations.
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 5th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article .com, acl
wrote:

I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
conversations, in general).

Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.

I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.
Old November 5th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article .com,
acl wrote:

I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through
a written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
conversations, in general).

Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.

I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.

It's not always a question of clarity when it comes to detecting sarcasm or
humor.
Two identically contructed sentences can have very different meanings
depending on inflection, stress and tone.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 6th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article .com, acl
wrote:

I think the idea here is that a conversation is taking place through a
written medium; non-verbal signs, which are used in face-to-face
conversation, are missing. These are clearly unnecesary (and not
expected) in books (books are not meant to take the place of
conversations, in general).

Hmm. I think clear written communication is possible in conversational
AND narrative modes - and is in fact something to strive for.

I agree on both counts (possible and worthy). I find it more enjoyable
to read posts which are well-written, and without smileys etc.

I suppose that since so few of us write anything intended to last,
we've allowed that skill to lapse - and compensate with graphic aids.

Probably. It also takes more effort to structure one's writing so that
the fact that it is a joke (say) becomes clear than to just stick a
smiley at the end, and since, as you said, this stuff isn't really
intended as a lasting record, most people can't be bothered.