"Compact" P&S query

Old October 29th 05, 09:30 PM
Frank ess

Default "Compact" P&S query

Beyond the dpreview listing of a Canon SD550 and a Panasonic LX1 as
"Ultra Compacts", and the new Canon S80 as "Compact" (even though the
LX1 is within 2 silly mmm of the S80 in every dimension [Disregard the
LX1's 26mm: that doesn't include a lens boss]), these three cameras
come in at similar price and with similar features with the same-size
sensor.

The S80 isn't fully reviewed yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mclx1&show=all

I tried the K-M X1, but it wasn't sharp and was slow to snap and
write.

What should I be thinking about in deciding among the three others? Or
other 7-8MP P&Ss? Aside from raw availible in the Panasonic...

--
Frank ess

Old October 30th 05, 05:45 AM
Bob Williams

dpreview calls the LX1 a "Compact".
See Their Quote:
"Announced alongside the FZ30 in July, the Lumix LX1 is the world's
first compact camera with a 'widescreen' 16:9 ratio CCD sensor......"

Which one is "best for you" depends which features are the most USEFUL
to you. Don't be wowed by bells and whistles that you will probably
never use.
Bob Williams

Old October 30th 05, 05:54 AM
Frank ess

Bob Williams wrote:
dpreview calls the LX1 a "Compact".
See Their Quote:
"Announced alongside the FZ30 in July, the Lumix LX1 is the world's
first compact camera with a 'widescreen' 16:9 ratio CCD
sensor......"

Which one is "best for you" depends which features are the most
USEFUL
to you. Don't be wowed by bells and whistles that you will probably
never use.
Bob Williams

Thank you. I guess I was misled by the "Format" entry in the specs
chart that popped up in the comparison among the three.

One problem with "bells and whistles" is that sometimes you don't know
if they fit or will be useful until you've had them at hand and tried
them out. I scoffed at Southern California seaside users of air
conditioned cars, never owned one until the model I wanted was not
available without a/c; thereafter I wouldn't consider one without...

--
Frank ess

Old October 31st 05, 12:12 AM
MarkČ

Frank ess wrote:
Beyond the dpreview listing of a Canon SD550 and a Panasonic LX1 as
"Ultra Compacts", and the new Canon S80 as "Compact" (even though the
LX1 is within 2 silly mmm of the S80 in every dimension [Disregard the
LX1's 26mm: that doesn't include a lens boss]), these three cameras
come in at similar price and with similar features with the same-size
sensor.

The S80 isn't fully reviewed yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mclx1&show=all

I tried the K-M X1, but it wasn't sharp and was slow to snap and
write.

What should I be thinking about in deciding among the three others? Or
other 7-8MP P&Ss? Aside from raw availible in the Panasonic...

Just an additional thought...
The 5MP SD450 is MUCH smaller (thinner) than the SD550.
You might wish to consider it, in light of truly pocketable aspect, not to
mention the noise-factor that kicks in with the tiny, high res sensors like
7.1...

Old October 31st 05, 03:12 AM
Frank ess

MarkČ wrote:
Frank ess wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Mark. I am curious to see what an 8MP or 7MP camera will do
with a sensor of that size. Seems to me the Panasonic's raw feature
might make noise correction a little easier.

--
Frank ess

Old October 31st 05, 04:21 AM
MarkČ

Frank ess wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
Frank ess wrote:
[...]

The only reason I mentioned it is because it's not very obvious how much
thinner the 5MP version is in most internet pictures of the 550, and if the
"pocketable" part is paramount, it might matter to you. I handled both in
person, and the 550 is considerably different. Feature-wise, though, they
are nearly identical save for the sensor res. I was thinking of purchasing
one of these, but I'm hesitant due to the nearly complete lack of manual
controls. My wife wouldn't care, but that would frustrate me, and likely
keep me from using it in its intended role (when I don't want my big DSLR
bag).

I'm now thinking of the A610, which is a bit larger, but uses AA batteries,
has a flip-out screen, long battery life, small cost, and considerably
excellent picture quality for the size. The A620 has the 7MP sensor you're
seeking...and all the A series cameras give you manual controls if you want
them.

Again... You didn't specifically ask for this stuff, but just throwing it
out there...
Reviews of the A series have always been...and continue to be very positive.
I'll likely buy the A610 in the next week or so befor my wife's nursing trip
to India...

Old October 31st 05, 04:26 AM
MarkČ

Frank ess wrote:
Beyond the dpreview listing of a Canon SD550 and a Panasonic LX1 as
"Ultra Compacts", and the new Canon S80 as "Compact" (even though the
LX1 is within 2 silly mmm of the S80 in every dimension [Disregard the
LX1's 26mm: that doesn't include a lens boss]), these three cameras
come in at similar price and with similar features with the same-size
sensor.

The S80 isn't fully reviewed yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mclx1&show=all

I tried the K-M X1, but it wasn't sharp and was slow to snap and
write.

What should I be thinking about in deciding among the three others? Or
other 7-8MP P&Ss? Aside from raw availible in the Panasonic...

Here's a telling quote from the "conclusion" part of DPreveiw's full review
of the LX1:

" To release a camera so obviously aimed at the serious photographer, to add
so many usable manual controls, to put a razor-sharp Leica lens on the front
and then to drop in a chip / processor that is so noisy you can't use it
above ISO 100 is quite simply unforgivable. It's like buying a Ferrari and
discovering it maxes out at 55 mph."

The Lumix line of cameras have always looked interesting to me, but the
level of noise reported sounds exceptionally bad.

Full review (you probably already read this...?):
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/

Old October 31st 05, 06:38 AM
Prime

"Frank ess" posted the exciting message
:

Beyond the dpreview listing of a Canon SD550 and a Panasonic

LX1 as
"Ultra Compacts", and the new Canon S80 as "Compact" (even

though the
LX1 is within 2 silly mmm of the S80 in every dimension

[Disregard the
LX1's 26mm: that doesn't include a lens boss]), these three

cameras
come in at similar price and with similar features with the

same-size
sensor.

The S80 isn't fully reviewed yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?

method=sidebyside&came
ras=canon_sd550%2Ccanon_s80%2Cpanasonic_dmclx1&sho w=all

I tried the K-M X1, but it wasn't sharp and was slow to snap

and
write.

What should I be thinking about in deciding among the three

others? Or
other 7-8MP P&Ss? Aside from raw availible in the Panasonic...

I've been very pleased with the Sony dsc-p200. It's a little bit
larger
(but still quite small), has manual controls as well, and is a
bargain
relative to the Canons.

Prime Factor