Getty Images soliciting amateur photos

Old November 9th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NotMe

Default Getty Images soliciting amateur photos

From what I've read the T&C and other requirements set by Getty do not favor
the photographer.

As example of what can happen if you don't pay attention to the licensing
issues:

http://markstoutphotography.wordpres...-photo-ripoff/

"RichA" wrote in message
:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk... _291528.html
:
: Amateur photographers: Getty wants your images
: Monday 9th November 2009
:
: Amateur photographers using the image sharing website Flickr are being
: urged to submit a 'portfolio' to Getty Images for the chance to sell
: their pictures through the agency.

Old November 10th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NotMe

"RichA" wrote in message
:
:
: NotMe wrote:
: From what I've read the T&C and other requirements set by Getty do not
favor
: the photographer.
:
: As example of what can happen if you don't pay attention to the
licensing
: issues:
:
:
http://markstoutphotography.wordpres...-photo-ripoff/
:
:
: That's sort of why I posted it. I see the amateur contribution to
: image banks and the like as being a slow "dilution" of the overall
: quality of the work available and at the same time a threat to efforts
: of the pros out there. Getty Images is probably setting themselves up
: for any number of competitive firms to come in and reproduce what they
: offer. Anyone can host an image site.

You might find this heads up interesting and perhaps useful.

Check out www.no-spec.com for some of what you'll run into on CL and what
other creative folk are doing to address the abuse.

Check out www.gag.org their handbook ($35 at most bookstores) is a gold
mine. Especially the section on contracts.

Good luck and don't let anyone sell you short.\

We're (husband wife team no the royal we) retired and living a bit higher on
the retirement hog as we protected our copyrights.

We never, ever do work for hire and rarely do all rights (unless there is an
obscene amount of money involved.)