is it a forgone conclusion...

Old February 28th 05, 07:20 PM
Steven Kefford

bob wrote:
It's not a question of the artistic merit of digital v. film, it's a
question of business economics, and businesses are going to make an
effort to force the issue.

Bob

If businesses are going to "force the issue", I would call that a little
bit more than business economics.

Steve
Old February 28th 05, 08:36 PM
bob

Steven Kefford wrote:
bob wrote:

It's not a question of the artistic merit of digital v. film, it's a
question of business economics, and businesses are going to make an
effort to force the issue.

Bob

If businesses are going to "force the issue", I would call that a little
bit more than business economics.

Steve

I don't follow. Businesses force all sorts of issues because of economics.

When was the last time you saw an LP at the mall?

There would still be a lot of people buying LPs on a regular basis, if
they were commonly available for sale. But at some point LP sales
dropped to a point below which the record companies decided to stop
making them.

Same thing will happen with film. You can buy Steely Dan's new release
on LP... in Europe. But you can't get it in 8-track.

When was the last time you tried to buy Kodachrome in 120 size? Or
super8 movie film with a sound stripe.

I've got an old camera that uses paper backed roll film. I don't even
know what the size is, but I know it isn't available. If I could get
film, it would be fun to use it, but...

Interesting reading:
http://www.bythom.com/2005predictions.htm

He says that Nikon has stopped production of non-slr 35mm film cameras
and Konica sold off their film plants.

Bob

Old March 1st 05, 09:28 AM
Chris Loffredo

bob wrote:

I've got an old camera that uses paper backed roll film. I don't even
know what the size is, but I know it isn't available. If I could get
film, it would be fun to use it, but...

Maybe you could find out what the format is: 127 film is still available!

Film will be available to those of us with enough interest, curiosity
and initiative for the rest of our lives!
It just might not be at the corner shop anymore.

Old March 1st 05, 10:41 AM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:36:38 -0500, bob
wrote:

.... Konica sold off their film plants.

Bob

mar105 from Lloyd Erlick,

Who bought them?

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com

Old March 1st 05, 10:41 AM
Lloyd Erlick

Old March 1st 05, 01:41 PM
jjs

"Steven Kefford" ""keff.antispam\"@ f2s.com" wrote in message

If businesses are going to "force the issue", I would call that a little
bit more than business economics.

It's an unfortunate expression. Perhaps it is better to say that the
marketplace determines the outcome, and the outcome will be digital.