D90 noise in film mode

Old May 15th 15, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Ritberg

Default D90 noise in film mode

Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

Tim
Old May 15th 15, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-05-15 10:08:14 +0000, Tim Ritberg said:

Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

What do you mean by "film mode"?

It sounds as if you have a voltage issue at the sensor. If you are
still using an original battery it could be upward of 6 years old and
might be the source of your problem.
If a fresh battery and a reset does not address the issue, then a visit
to a Nikon service center might be in order. The worst case scenario
might mean putting the old D90 out to pasture and start thinking about
a replacement. Perhaps it is time for a D7200.

Savageduck

Old May 15th 15, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Ritberg

On 2015-05-15 10:08:14 +0000, Tim Ritberg said:

Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

What do you mean by "film mode"?

sorry: movie mode

It sounds as if you have a voltage issue at the sensor.

This problem is a sound problem, not image.

Tim
Old May 15th 15, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-05-15 10:08:14 +0000, Tim Ritberg said:

Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

What do you mean by "film mode"?

sorry: movie mode

It sounds as if you have a voltage issue at the sensor.

This problem is a sound problem, not image.

OK! When you said noise, I was thinking of unexlained image noise.
I have no experience with your issue as I do not shoot video, only
single images. I have no solution I can offer other than a visit to a
Nikon service center.

Savageduck

Old May 15th 15, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

On 15/5/2015 1:08 μμ, Tim Ritberg wrote:
Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

Tim

Sprichst Du deutsch, habe ich richtig verstanden? Was Savageduck schon
vorstellt, Deine Kamera fuer Service abzugeben, rate ich es auch Dich.
Wenn es bei der Reparatur nicht klappt, kannst Du schon eine guenstige
Videokamera kaufen, eine SD ist ganz billig und eine HD fuer nicht den
Sternehimmel zy bekommen sei!
Old May 15th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 15 May 2015 13:10:49 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 15 May 2015 06:08:17 UTC-4, Tim Ritberg wrote:
Hello!

In the last days my Nikon D90 recorded permanent noise, like low white
noise. I switched off lens stabilizer and auto focus, but this does not
help.

How to prevent this noise, any idea?

Tim

You might consider, if it's fatal, getting a camera that does video well, that is known for good video, like a Panasonic. They have a G7 coming out that should come in at around $799 with 4K video. Unless of course you have a slew of Nikon lenses, which you could still use, since good video is done with manual focusing anyway.

If it has an external mic connector, try that. If it works, it's
probably the internal mic, or its circuitry. And if it works, you can
at least continue to use the camera, with a minor inconvenience.
Old May 15th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rusty Gear

And to add to Bill W's comment, just plug anything (not a power supply, or
device supplying power) into the microphone jack and pull it back out. I'm
fairly sure the jack is the switching type. The switching contacts might
just have dust or lint across the contacts. The act of plugging in an
external device (even headphones), just to open and close the switches might
solve the audio static problem. Also check the microphone gain. If cranked
up to the highest setting, the basic microphone noise will become audible.

Best regards,
John, the Rusty Gear