Matching the aspect of ancient photographs.

Old May 13th 15, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Matching the aspect of ancient photographs.

In article , Andreas Skitsnack
wrote:

Sandman:
"I do not consider the suggestion to stand in the same spot where
the original photo was taken to be a helpful suggestion since that
spot cannot be determined."

Is an unsubstantiated claim from you, where you are claiming that
the spot can not be determined. But you don't know that, not
having seen the original photo.

You do love to base your baseless and petty little arguments on the
lack substantiation.

You do love to make claims that you refuse or can't substantiate, yes.

The application of common sense never seems to occur to you. How
could one substantiate the claim or substantiate refuting the claim?

If you can't substantiate the claim, then don't make the claim. That's the
common sense that should be applied.

You would do a lot better if you phrased your guesses and personal opinions as
such, not as "since that spot cannot be determined".

Substantiation is the providing of proof in the form of evidence.
It can neither be proven nor disproved by evidence that a particular
spot is or is not where the photographer stood 70 years ago.

Of course it can. Had you seen the original photo and knew about the current
situation of that locale, then you could with authority state that finding the
original position is impossible.

But since you didn't know about the photo or the location, you can't make such
a comment, yet you did anyway.

Common sense tells us that the same spot can only be approximated.

Firstly, that depends on the photo. A photo taken from the top of the eiffel
tower where you can see a bit of the railing can be replicated to a very high
degree. A photo of a meadow - not so much.

Secondly, you did say it cannot be determine, not that it can only be
approximated. My very first post in this thread stated that he should stand as
close as possible to the original position (i.e. approximate position).

So, a statement like "stand in the same spot" is not a reasonable
suggestion.

It is, actually.

"Stand where you think the photographer stood" is a
reasonable suggestion.

Ironic, given what my suggestion was in my reply to the OP:

"but the closer you are to the same spot when you take the
pic, the better"

Well, will you look at that. Maybe you should actually read what you are
complaining about before making claims about it, no?

I think questions like this should be answered with an eye to a
practical solution. I'll give the OP credit for not being complete
dummy and that he would not ask "How does one position a camera (and
lens) to match the ancient scenes so that the old & current images
are superimposable (or nearly so)?" if he knows where the "same"
spot is located.

That's one interpretation. I wouldn't consider the OP a "dummy" if he knew the
exact location and still wanted to know the best way to replicate the photo
with regards to perspective and focal length.

Andreas Skitsnack:
The original position may not be a place can be accessed.

Sandman:
Of course, but since the OP made no comment about how to take a
photo from a location that is hard to access, this "may" isn't
relevant until he does so.

Again, you make me laugh with your hypocrisy. You just went to some
length in another post about how to use Photoshop to fix the
appearance of perspective, but the OP has made no mention of having
Photoshop.

Of course he hasn't. My comments about Photoshop is a solution to his problem,
which doesn't hinge on him having Photoshop or not. They're still a solution,
and the solution I would suggest.

You said "If you have Photoshop", which does allow for
your comments to be relevant *if* that is the case, but you ****
about complaining that "May not.." does not have exactly the same
function as "If you...".

That's because that was a first-level reply to the OP with actual suggestions
directed at him. Your "may" was a baseless non sequitur directed at me and had
no relevancy to the topic.

There is a reason why I said "if *you* have photoshop" to him, and you said
"may not be" to *me*, because it would be pointless to say it to the OP, which
probably is fully aware whether or not the place is hard to access already. The
"may" is irrelevant to him, he already knows.

--
Sandman
Old May 13th 15, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-05-13 09:03:56 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , android wrote:
In article
,

android:
It's now obvious that you have a mushy sponge brain replacement.
A drop in, the clued in would say...

Sandman:
See what I mean?

Hows your health insurance? I've heard that some insurers only give
you one mushy spongy brain replacement... And yours seem to near
it's "end of life"! :-))

See what I mean? You just can't help yourself.

Some folks just try to keep this sort of thing simple.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/1024x1024.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 13th 15, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,

On 2015-05-13 09:03:56 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , android wrote:
In article
,

android:
It's now obvious that you have a mushy sponge brain replacement.
A drop in, the clued in would say...

Sandman:
See what I mean?

Hows your health insurance? I've heard that some insurers only give
you one mushy spongy brain replacement... And yours seem to near
it's "end of life"! :-))

See what I mean? You just can't help yourself.

Some folks just try to keep this sort of thing simple.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/1024x1024.jpg

Cool! The lines on the street clearly indicates that it's the same place.

The Benro boxes are British Racing Green, btw. :-)
--
teleportation kills