How plastic helps take out $1000 lenses

Old May 5th 15, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default How plastic helps take out $1000 lenses

In article , RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

--
Sandman
Old May 5th 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

Old May 5th 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

They are not always machined to spec.

--
PeterN
Old May 5th 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

They are not always machined to spec.

--
PeterN

I've not had the experience you had with any of my Sigma lenses but it
does happen. It most likely happens with every lens maker, a quick
search shows people having the same complaint with their Nikon lenses.

Old May 5th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS
wrote:

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

with sticky tape holding some of them together. no joke.
Old May 5th 15, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/5/2015 11:03 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

They are not always machined to spec.

--
PeterN

I've not had the experience you had with any of my Sigma lenses but it
does happen. It most likely happens with every lens maker, a quick
search shows people having the same complaint with their Nikon lenses.

It can happen to any manufacturer. But you were there when they said my
Nikon was not made to spec. They seemed afraid to offer to try a
different lens.

--
PeterN
Old May 5th 15, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 11:03 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
In article
,
RichA wrote:

Plastic is s---. It's garbage. It is the cause of more camera
heartache than anything else.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/a...-than-plastic/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55650532

"Nikons are more likely to have metal mounts than other brands"

All Sigma lenses have metal mounts.

They are not always machined to spec.

--
PeterN

I've not had the experience you had with any of my Sigma lenses but
it
does happen. It most likely happens with every lens maker, a quick
search shows people having the same complaint with their Nikon
lenses.

It can happen to any manufacturer. But you were there when they said
my Nikon was not made to spec. They seemed afraid to offer to try a
different lens.

"They" was one guy and he no longer works for them, that kind of comment
he made could be one of the reasons. Everyone I know who dealt with him
had nothing good to say about their experience. You experienced the
same. I never liked him either. Some people are in a state of denial.
I was just corresponding with a lady who has a new Nikon P900. She's
having problems with it freezing and so are other people, it's been
discussed on different sites. The Nikon rep she spoke with claimed that
she is the only person to register a complaint about it with them. It's
not very believable, just like the Sigma rep telling you that it must be
your camera that was the problem. I had a problem with the NAV/Stereo
unit on my car rebooting. It's also a known problem, there's even a
video of it on YouTube showing it happening. The service rep at the
dealership said I was the only one to complain about it. BTW, I wound
up getting that lens for my Canon, it was fine but I found myself rarely
ever using the really wide focal lengths.

Old May 5th 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/5/2015 12:36 PM, PAS wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 11:03 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

[...]

Was that individual part of QC?
Two summers ago I tested a few of their zooms, together with Tamron
version. IIRC it was a 100-500. Neither handled well, both were soft and
slow on my D800.

--
PeterN
Old May 5th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 12:36 PM, PAS wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 11:03 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
In article
,
RichA wrote:

[...]

That was the sales manager. He didn't last long. Sounds like you were
testing either the 150-500mm or the 50-500mm zooms. I've got their
120-400mm zoom in Sigma mount and it's pretty sharp, the bokeh is a bit
"nervous". I could work on my PP skills and fix the OOF area:

http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Photog...SDIM0992-L.jpg

I also have their 80-400mm in Canon mount and I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Nature...IMG_3143-L.jpg

Old May 5th 15, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/5/2015 2:27 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 12:36 PM, PAS wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 11:03 AM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 5/5/2015 9:10 AM, PAS wrote:
"Sandman" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

[...]

Yup. Don't forget i have the Nikon 80-400, which produces sharp, crisp
images; and my 70-200, which with a 1.7 extender gives me faster focus
lock.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/_Red%20Heron.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20140103_more%20birds%26%20test%20shots_3839.jpg